The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced dropping the HVAC blower unit from the car? My car has developed a "rattle" when the fan is on, and is fan speed-sensitive. It sounds like something flapping around in the blower; imagine a leaf being stuck in there hitting the fan as it rotates. I've tried turning the fan up & down, enabling/disabling recirc, to dislodge anything that might be stuck in there, but to no avail.

Aside from that flapping noise, it's still entirely usable, but highly irritating to listen to. I'd rather not disconnect the expansion valve or heater lines if possible, but I don't know if that's realistic.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Can't help you with disassembly, but that does sound exactly like the fan is wobbling. This is common in many cars, and it will let the blades hit the housing, sounding like a baseball card in bike spokes. If it briefly gets better or worse when you hit a bump, I'd be extra certain that's what's going on, so a new fan is all that will make it go away (unless you trim the blades, the housing, or something like that).

·
Registered
597 Posts
Having taken the front end of an Evora apart in the past, I can say that IMO getting the HVAC box out is going to be a not-fun job.

Also, though it's been a while since I had one in my hands, I don't think the box itself is designed to come apart for service, so you might have to get a little creative in getting it apart and putting it back together -- once you've gone through all the trouble of extracting it.

Not at all saying it can't be done, just saying it's probably not the work of a Saturday afternoon. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. There are no internal part #s, so it looks like Lotus doesn't expect anyone to replace just the fan. ~$1650 for a wobbly fan :crying: Or maybe less for an out-of-round bushing.

I think I'll just live with the noise until it dies completely.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. There are no internal part #s, so it looks like Lotus doesn't expect anyone to replace just the fan. ~$1650 for a wobbly fan :crying: Or maybe less for an out-of-round bushing.

I think I'll just live with the noise until it dies completely.
With many fans, they are just pressed on with a retaining washer. If that's the case, you might be able to just reseat it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts