The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The illumination for the HVAC control has gone out (electroluminescent- no bulbs there!!:crazyeyes). Has anyone repaired theirs? I took out the assembly and at first thought that it might be the transformer but it was not.:clap: Tested it with a 9V battery and the panel lights up. Found out that the FLEXIBLE RIBBON that goes from the transformer to the electroluminescent panel has a break. The plastic ribbon is not broken, just the metallic part within the ribbon. So there is no electricity being delivered to the panel.

Has anyone had any experience with fixing this or repairing flexible ribbons? If so what have to used or how did you repair the panel illumination.

Thanks,

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've repaired plastic ribbon. Carefully Scrape the plastic off across the broken conductor/conductors with a small knife or xacto blade then with a low wattage soldering iron flow some solder across the break. Sometimes you may need to solder a single strand of wire across the break to repair the connection.

Hope this helps!
Dave

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'll hopefully never need to open up the HVAC controls so I don't know how the flex cable is attached, but depending on the position and connectors it might be easier to just solder a wire between both ends and bypass the flex cable entirely.

This was a common fix for some spotty clocks in older cars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The illumination for the HVAC control has gone out (electroluminescent- no bulbs there!!:crazyeyes). Has anyone repaired theirs? I took out the assembly and at first thought that it might be the transformer but it was not.:clap: Tested it with a 9V battery and the panel lights up. Found out that the FLEXIBLE RIBBON that goes from the transformer to the electroluminescent panel has a break. The plastic ribbon is not broken, just the metallic part within the ribbon. So there is no electricity being delivered to the panel.

Has anyone had any experience with fixing this or repairing flexible ribbons? If so what have to used or how did you repair the panel illumination.

Thanks,

So it's supposed to light up.....I guess I'd like to know how to fix I too. Also seems like the recirc button works but does not light up--anyone else?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your help. Will have it give it a shot once again. The service person at the Lotus Dealership told me that I could use the conductive paint that you get at the auto parts store for repairing the rear window defroster and apply on the broken part. As soon as I get time to take it apart, I will update. I took some pictures last time I removed it. Will try to upload pictures later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts