The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lotus family!

tldr - HVAC problems. Made a video. I don't intend to re-invent the wheel on previously recommended fixes for blower motor failure. I appear to have a different starting point than the OEM set up. So if any of you have input please let me know. Or just sit back and receive some updates if you'd like.

(you can skip to lotus part @ 1:41)

I’ve got a 2005 Elise.
HVAC stopped working midway through 2020. I can hear the A/C “click on”, but no air will come out of vents regardless of selecting “1,2,3” on fan controls.

I did some preliminary research about this and was quickly intimidated by all the work involved in the typical culprit (resistor pack failure and/or corrosion on electrical connections at/near HVAC blower).

I was either cleaning something or looking for a fuse to reset my tach needles maybe, and I noticed a set of gold-ish looking “bricks” with some cooling fins and wires. It looked suspiciously familiar to some of the images I’ve seen on the other forum posts.

If indeed these are for the HVAC fan, then I MIGHT get lucky with an easier fix. however, I would still like to diagnose exactly what failed before buying parts and cutting things up.

I began a deep dive into the quality forum posts of other members fixing the same problem. So I will try to refer to those as best I can through links, and I can share some notes/takeaways at the end of this process. It looks like I may luck out and not need to go to a shop for assistance. I’ll try to make a few more videos as things progress.

I’ve never really made a video with me speaking or edited anything (you’ll see on my “channel” some older videos that show my “resume” haha).

Anyway. Decided “why not?” Turned on the camera (iPhone) and just did a few things in the garage on Sunday afternoon. Naturally...this required I think of a cool name to rename my YouTube account, haha.

Reactions: RapidLotus

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Looking forward to your next video!

Reactions: Narberry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking forward to your next video!
Thank you RapidLotus! It was kind of fun to make a video. I might film myself fumbling around with a multimeter as I trace the failure. It will be a humbling reminder I don’t know how electrons work!

I also finally did a deep dive on all the previous owners forum postings. I bought it from the dealer he sold it to. I discovered he indeed did the “resistor pack”. I just really hope the failure is not a corroded connection down at the blower.

Reactions: RapidLotus

·
Administrator
7,610 Posts
Looks like earlier attempt at a work around for proper fix didn't last? For proper fix get the upgraded resistor pack installed correctly and drill the drain holes. Otherwise it's jury fix to jury fix. GL

Reactions: Narberry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like earlier attempt at a work around for proper fix didn't last? For proper fix get the upgraded resistor pack installed correctly and drill the drain holes. Otherwise it's jury fix to jury fix. GL
I will seriously consider that approach. Additionally, having a shop do this work is not “off the table” either. It’s all a balance of cost, time, and longevity of the fix.

My first child “arrives” in a few weeks so I’m cautious of anything that would require clam removal - don’t want to be mid project ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will seriously consider that approach. Additionally, having a shop do this work is not “off the table” either. It’s all a balance of cost, time, and longevity of the fix.

My first child “arrives” in a few weeks so I’m cautious of anything that would require clam removal - don’t want to be mid project ;)
also, the most likely sequence of events is that I diagnose this. Understand what I would need to replace (whether it’s just a resistor pack or maybe worse), then button it back up and make plans for later in the year. Top is usually off the car so no A/C isn’t a show stopper for a brief season of time.

·
Administrator
7,610 Posts
This looks similar...https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/fix-your-hvac-blower-without-cutting-the-firewall-and-no-heater-hvac-removal-diy.400993/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts