The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had my OBD-2 interface to my phone handy, I decided to try out hypermilling elise for about 42 miles (15% city, 85% freeway). It was nothing too extreme: 55-70 mph on freeway, 50% drafting, avoid braking (taking corners at speed limit) and accelerating gently. It was 2 hour before rush hour and traffic was not light.

My MPG was 39.3!

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
That's just sounds like a pain in the ass! I mean really, are you that bored?

Buy a Smart car instead and drive that to work. Im not kidding.

My wife has a Smart and gets 48.

Ask yourself this question, why did you buy a Lotus, to look cool cutting it off or driving it?

·
Registered
505 Posts
hypermilling wtf :facepalm
i bought a lotus to get the worst possible mpg,thats how they are supposed to be driven rotfl
if i get good mpg,i re-access my driving and adjust accordingly :D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
eh, hypermiling runs around in my head all the time. I used to own a VW TDI... but as far as the Elise goes, The best I have gotten is low 30s.

Not that I try really hard. I feel wrong if I don't mash the accelerator in the elise.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Why the Fv©k didn't you buy a Prius if all you wanted was mileage? :facepalm You could have even been cool about it and gotten a Tesla. :scratchhead: You guys scare me... :eek:

·
Older but getting faster
530 Posts
hypermilling wtf :facepalm
i bought a lotus to get the worst possible mpg,thats how they are supposed to be driven rotfl
if i get good mpg,i re-access my driving and adjust accordingly :D
X1000 :evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,666 Posts
Wow guys critical much ?

I think it is interesting to see what is possible. I rather doubt that he hypermills his elise all the time... I rather doubt your racing your cars every second they are turned on.

He is just having fun playing with his toy. Now you all are telling him he is doing it wrong ? :thwack:

·
He's on fire!
3,435 Posts
is your car, do what you want, but 'drafting' (aka tailgating?) in an elise sounds like a good way to get it totaled out, considering it has no bumpers. Granted it should stop faster than anything in front of it, but that assumes your eyes aren't glazed over from watching the same rear end for a long period of time, that they don't straddle a shredded tire or some other object the lotus can't, etc.

Call me in favor of taking corners faster and trying not to use the brakes! (within reason on the street of course)

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Wow guys critical much ?

I think it is interesting to see what is possible. I rather doubt that he hypermills his elise all the time... I rather doubt your racing your cars every second they are turned on.

He is just having fun playing with his toy. Now you all are telling him he is doing it wrong ? :thwack:
It's kind of like getting a race car and seeing how slow you can go with it... :facepalm

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Personally, I think that this is a very Lotus-like exercise. I think it's pretty to cool to learn ways to keep your car up to speed while using the least amount of power possible. Heck, that's what Lotus is all about.

It's also on of the best ways to become a faster driver. It's especially handy for endurance racing, where fuel economy is essential for reducing stops.

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Did you pump the tires up to 51psi! HEHE! You get an extra 2mpg and hemorrhoids all at once!

·
Registered
91 Posts
To each their own, either way its a fun fact.
However, I'm averaging 12-14mpg street on the K20 with what I refer to as 'normal' driving in a Lotus :panic:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts