The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you who have been here a while know, i have said that i dont speed on public roads ever, and give a lot of crap to those who drive wrecklessly, and post about it here on LT.

I keep my fast driving on the track, .........until yesterday afternoon.

My buddy from childhood came over yesterday with his new car. he has always been into sports cars, but i have never been able to get him to take one on the track.
So he insists that i go for a ride with him in his newly purchased(used) ferrari 355 sypder(red). i figured sure, why not. so off we go and he is very proud of his new ride. i had never been in one of these, and i had to admit it was nice, and felt like it could handle well when he was driving.
we stop to fuel it up, and he hands me the keys and says "you drive fishguy".
so i drove it onto the freeway which we were close to, and kept it under 75mph , the posted limit. he started telling me to 'try it out", c'mon fishguy, punch it", and i declined telling him to take the car to the track in 2 weeks, and then i would like to drive it hard.
he kept harassing me, blah blah blah, but when he called me a "pussy racecar driver", i figured i would give him a little bit of a scare. just once.
so i punched it, and got the car up to about 130, had weaved through a few cars closely to scare him, and hit an off ramp very aggressively that had a nice sharp corner like a clover leaf.
he yelled when we went into the corner deep downshifting and rev matching and i when i was hard on the brakes.
I figured that would be the end of my drive, but he really liked the scare. he said do some more, and teach him how to rev match like that.
I have to admit i liked the car, so we went back onto the freeway, i got it back up to ~130-135, preparing for ther next offramp, when we had a problem.
there was a cop waiting for us in the median and he pulled me over when i passed him at a very high speed.
he had said that one of the cars that i came upon at high speed called the police to report it.....................
long story short. I didnt go to jail, but i will likely lose my license. when he asked for my drivers license it was under my 2-3 racing licenses and he noticed them. he asked about it, and said he was planning on taking me to jail for the night for endaging the public...........i told him i was under control because this was basically a race car, and i am trained to do this. he said he will let the judge decide that, and wrote me up for wreckless driving instead of taking me with him in the back of the cop car. i was respectful of him, and he was nice to me after giving me a lecture.
if i lose my license it will greatly effect my livelyhood.
it was realy bad judgment on my part.
I wasnt even going to post this here, but i figured fair is fair,, since I have blasted so many here for doing what i just did.
posting this hopefully will prevent this from happening to you guys in your lotus cars on the roads.
the car was nice, but now i feel as stupid as those who i gave all that crap to on this forum.
drive safely
fishguy

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I hope this is an April Fools joke, but if not, sorry to hear. :(

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Thanks for sharing and don't feel too bad. That little speed devil has hit most of us more than once. It's a great reminder that with cell phones and quick access to the highway patrol, everyone we blow by on the street is a potential witness, which is why radar detectors aren't perfect insurance anymore. A lawyer and a contrite attitude with the judge, along with your great driving record (no doubt) up to this error will go a long way to lessening the severity of your punishment. I'll keep a good thought for ya!

Tom

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Time to hire an attorney...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Absolutely get an attorney. I suspect he's going to tell you that you should have let them take you to jail before saying anything other than "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir" -- but hopefully what you've said won't come back to hurt you too badly.

Steve

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I'm not sold. This has to be April Fool's :p

I wonder if having racing licenses would work against you in a court of law.

Anyways, if this is true, please get an attorney. I know you are righteous and I could see you just saying, "Well, I am guilty so I will accept my punishment", but think of all the other idiots who do this and get away with it.

It will be a tough fight since someone called on you already, but worth it if you can get it reduced..

Anyways, I'm still maintaining April Fool's :p

·
Registered
992 Posts
fails the sniff test here! :)

I say it's bull too... Aprils fool joke for sure. :p
i call bullsh** too. just my hunch. sounds too contrived PLUS who carries 2 - 3 licenses with them? mine sit at home, too much hassle if u lose. also, how do u get a cop to respond to a random call that quickly? at 130 mph, how much time elapsed? no way...

Also, reckless driving here usually means go right jail ..that he "let u go" further alerted the BS Detector. Patent pending.

good story anyway, I LIKED IT, and I cant wait to find out the scoop! :popcorn:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Your friends call you "fishguy"?
Exactly what I was thinking.
:shrug:

For the record, I did something similar (without getting caught), with one of my staff who used to think he drives his Miata hard. He got a pretty good scare!
rotfl

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
Your friends call you "fishguy"?

Sorry to hear, good luck (if it isn't an April Fools).

ed
ed -

You captured my 2 thoughts perfectly.....rotflrotfl

·
Registered
992 Posts
Agree, April fools,,,I hope for your sake fish.
he'd be in jail! around here if a cop had the oppty to bring in a 130mph red ferrari-driver, he go for it and senor pescado would be posting to LT from a dank cell. :p

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
fishguy. Im not buying your story. There are a few things that contradict your story. I shall not go into details because I am at work ;)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Never realized how seriously people take April 1st. Hope all is well. If not, good luck.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts