The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
That’s one of the reasons the evora (lotus in general) appeals to me, you aren’t stuck with supercar/exotic car repair bills.

I think speedfenom on YouTube just purchased a Mclaren 600, has a + $30,000 repair bill for front carbon under tray, front trunk tub and a few miscellaneous parts. Couldn’t imaging what engine/trans repairs would be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Everything (well almost everything) is relative. To a fellow driving a motor scouter in Mumbai, India, the repair bills on my Lotus must seem just as outrageous as the McLaren's repair bills seems to a me. For a person earning 10 times more than me, a repair bill ten times the cost of my repair bill doesn't sting any more to him/her, than the Lotus repair bill does to me. If that weren't the case, there wouldn't be a market for McLarens. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes its all relative.... in the world of exotic cars I believe lotus has always been on the low cost side for repairs, I believe that’s the point of this thread not comparing lotus repairs to a tune up in a bicycle or scooter

anyone Have a idea what it costs to replace a evora engine? Years ago a north star powered caddy I owned lost its engine at 48k miles, 10 ish years ago and it set me back $10,000, after a bit of complaining GM paid halt the tab.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can't answer the engine question. But a clutch is going to be about $1,300 plus 40 hours of labor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can't answer the engine question. But a clutch is going to be about $1,300 plus 40 hours of labor.
Aside from the time length which labor is going to be expensive unless you’re a DIY type (and alas I am most definitely NOT) that doesn’t seem terrible!

·
Loves to talk
1,193 Posts
Moral of the story: take care fo your clutch and it will take care of you. I think there are two rules for happy Evora ownership. Drive smoothly to protect the drive train and don't crash it.
Clam removal adds 4 hours to any job requiring it. Apart from that, you're keeping a Toyota.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is why I own current Lotus cars (Exige and Evora). I’m very confident I can get at least 250k miles of driving out of Toyota engine. I don’t think I can say the same for other exotics. My 1985 Toyota Corolla has over 200k miles when I was in college. All of my extended families are still commuting to work with their 200k plus miles Toyota (Corolla, Tacoma, 4-runners, Camry, Sienna). I’m waiting to see the next Lotus type 131. If Lotus use the Lexus V8, I would buy it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Moral of the story: take care fo your clutch and it will take care of you. I think there are two rules for happy Evora ownership. Drive smoothly to protect the drive train and don't crash it.
Clam removal adds 4 hours to any job requiring it. Apart from that, you're keeping a Toyota.
That covers my new rule of "do not let other people drive your cars."

·
Registered
Oil stain rapid delivery system
72 Posts
That covers my new rule of "do not let other people drive your cars."
I learned my lesson 20 years ago after my friend turned my 5 speed E153 transmission into a 4 speed.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Yes its all relative.... in the world of exotic cars I believe lotus has always been on the low cost side for repairs, I believe that’s the point of this thread not comparing lotus repairs to a tune up in a bicycle or scooter

anyone Have a idea what it costs to replace a evora engine? Years ago a north star powered caddy I owned lost its engine at 48k miles, 10 ish years ago and it set me back $10,000, after a bit of complaining GM paid halt the tab.
I owned a 2012 N/A Evora, had an endless go around with the IPS transmission, not wanting to shift, finally had to pony up for a new transmission, 35K, was the final bill, ouch!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I owned a 2012 N/A Evora, had an endless go around with the IPS transmission, not wanting to shift, finally had to pony up for a new transmission, 35K, was the final bill, ouch!
Well that's terrible! I was rooting for transmission though because it's covered by my Fidelity warranty. Clutch, not so much. $35K is brutal though on a Lotus!

·
Registered
75 Posts
How long ago was this and what was the prognosis for such a drastic decision?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts