The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering buying this car. I told the gentleman that I would be calling him back in the next 2 hours.

Car Info

I asked him if he is willing to negotiate. He said yes. I told him I am looking to pay around 30k. He told me he bought it for 31,300. So that sounds like it is out of the question. He told me that it drives great (of course he would say that). The car has not had its 7,500 milage maintenance done. Can someone tell me what this consists of and what I can expect to pay? He said the break pads are great and the tires. But I have seen from this post that the stock break pads suck. Any last 2 hour advice to help me close this deal would be totally Awesome.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am seriously considering buying this car. I told the gentleman that I would be calling him back in the next 2 hours.

Car Info

I asked him if he is willing to negotiate. He said yes. I told him I am looking to pay around 30k. He told me he bought it for 31,300. So that sounds like it is out of the question. He told me that it drives great (of course he would say that). The car has not had its 7,500 milage maintenance done. Can someone tell me what this consists of and what I can expect to pay? He said the break pads are great and the tires. But I have seen from this post that the stock break pads suck. Any last 2 hour advice to help me close this deal would be totally Awesome.

Thanks,

Chris

Just curious, how old are you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, did I type like a child? Or am I asking silly questions that make me appear to be young?

·
Banned
874 Posts
I personally dont like that color... too dull... I'm getting mine in CO or KG

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the colors I like are. Silver, Black, Orange, or Yellow. I am going to be using this as my daily driver, I own a business and frequently drive to businesses / residents and wanted a sleek professional look. Not quite sure if this is making sense but I thought it did :cool:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just curious, did I type like a child? Or am I asking silly questions that make me appear to be young?
Between the totally awesome comment, and the fact that your not going to wait more than 2 hours for info or advice, it just seemed like a younger poster.

No harm either way, but I advise you not to rush into an Elise purchase.

the colors I like are. Silver, Black, Orange, or Yellow. I am going to be using this as my daily driver, I own a business and frequently drive to businesses / residents and wanted a sleek professional look. Not quite sure if this is making sense but I thought it did :cool:
What type of business? The Elise is not the best daily driver for long distances, and your clients might end up thinking your throwing your money in their face. (yes I realize its only 30k, but most people think the Elise/Exige are 100k+)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never say "totally awesome" in person. But I understand. I have been looking at Elises for 6 months now. I looked at one in Napa, where I live, last week. They were trying to scam me big time. This company I am now talking with sounds professional and legit. I just don't want to fly down there and fly back empty handed. So I am not sure how to go about this. I have never traveled so far to purchase a car. I don't mind waiting for the perfect timing. I just feel I have been waiting forever, (6 months)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I own a computer business. We specialize in Server maintenance, computer repair, cabling. Pretty much anything and everything computer related.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was hoping my customers would think "wow they must be doing something right". But I understand they could also take it the total opposite way.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...if you work in napa, i can't imagine anyone there thinking a lotus is over-the-top...

...i don't know if it's worth worrying over $1300, but somewhere in the range of $30k is i think reasonable for a well-tended moderate milage elise - surely if you do some serious shopping, though, you can find one in the bay area which suits your needs...it doesn't appear to be a bad deal, but i don't see a compelling need to jump on this particular car...

...do bear in mind that an elise can be hot, cramped, a rough ride, and difficult to carry anything which you can't fit in the passenger seat - i say this because during central valley summers you'll arrive to visit clients sweaty and with your equipment well-shaken...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, after reading these posts I am going to take a little more time. I am not going to call him back today but possibly tommorow or Tuesday. I am anxiously waiting. If any of you happen to see one in the meantime please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I was hoping my customers would think "wow they must be doing something right". But I understand they could also take it the total opposite way.
Unless your goal is to date your customers, an Elise is not exactly the ideal car for pulling up to clients homes.

Yes, it will convey that you're successful in your business.
-but along with quite a number of other negative characterizations that could apply to young guy trying to be flashy.

It's better than showing up in a worn out beater.
But I'm sure the clients would probably think even more highly and professionally of you if you showed up - in a Prius!
or any other vehicle that conveys that you're practical and smart with your money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of my business motos is YPD. Young Progressive and Determined. I believe a Lotus would fit in the progressive part.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From reading about the Lotus, I thought this car was practical, expecially on gas milage. Am i assuming wrong about the car being practical?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Agreed that if I was buying a car to make a statement to clients, this is NOT the one I would get. The STATEMENT it makes (as in PERCEPTIONS, they don't have to be accurate) is:

1. I charge way too much money. I am rolling in it. LOL. Thanks for making me have enough that I can buy expensive toys. You should wonder what the employee (wage slaves) think when I pull up in this.

2. I am flashy. I drive way too fast. I race cars. I will probably be killed and then where are you going to be? (I have actually had a client tell me this).

3. I am not a practical guy at all. Give me your money.

4. Being green? I don't care. Watch me burn out.

Clients want you (in general) to look like you are doing well, but just a little bit well relative to them. And be conservative. A maybe even to drive American for some of those clients. And something that does well on gas. But still has room to haul stuff. It is like your clothes. If your clients are t-shirts and jeans, probably not a good idea to show up in a suit. But a nice white dress shirt would work. If they were collared shirts, show up with a tie. Etc.

I used to do a lot of consulting. It was my business. A lot of it was for military clients. I would not use the Lotus for that.

Reality does not matter. Perceptions do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
From reading about the Lotus, I thought this car was practical, expecially on gas milage. Am i assuming wrong about the car being practical?
Im sorry at this point im going to have to assume this guy is a troll. If he's not then you all should feel sorry for me beause this is the kind of competition I have for a used Elise in California :(

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It is not practical!!!!! I can't stress this enough. I argue it is fine for a daily driver, but this is for business?

Parking. You have read this forum right? You can't parallel park it. A good percentage of entrances to parking lots will have to be avoided. Parking garages? Maybe... maybe not. Valet parking? lol. Not practical to park.

Oh... taking a client out to lunch? Well, a 4 seater would make more sense obviously. But many clients will struggle with getting in and out of the passenger seat. Not practical.

Need to haul some stuff. Take a small flight? Roll on luggage bag to the airport. It will not fit in the boot. Need to get some stuff like a new monitor. Will not fit in the car. Practical? A larger car is practical. This is not practical for hauling anything but ass.

Why not just get a used Ariel Atom for business? Or a motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It's better than showing up in a worn out beater.
But I'm sure the clients would probably think even more highly and professionally of you if you showed up - in a Prius!
or any other vehicle that conveys that you're practical and smart with your money.
You nailed that one! Never, ever drive a better than 'average' car to a customer's site. They immediately think you are charging too much and don't want to support your toy habit. When I started my company I owned a perfect 911sc Targa but drove a Celica with a plastic taped back window out to accounts.

The best 'work car' outside of driving one of our fleet vans was a clean Toyota FJ60 I had. Always reliable and it made me look unpretentious about material things.

The comments about parking are dead on!!! Customer sites? On street parking, etc? DON'T do it unless you don't mind a bashed up car for your trouble.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts