The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listened to my wife tonight.

I got a call from the Lotus dealer saying that they're now accepting deposits from those on the list for the Elise, due here in April.

I was number four in line... and I had options.

I backed out. Told him to forget about it (with my wife's scowl on the face saying 'you did what????').... I'm keeping the URABUS for next year to defend my titles... so therefore no big deposit on the elise... therefore no elise.

I coulda been a contenduh!!!

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Umm... that's not good news. Besides, if you were going to back out you should have sold your spot in line.

What you did was wrong, and you should hang your head in shame. :rolleyes:

Thomas

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Well....here's how I'd handle the situation such a thing came up:

1) I would tell secretly put myself back on the list.

2) IF the wife ever found out that I was on the list, I would say,

"Honey, look, there's going to be a HUGE demand for the Elise. Only 2,500 are coming in the first year! Did you ever hear about the 911 Turbo? Did you? People were paying $50 grand over MSRP to get one. Remember the PT Cruiser, people where paying $X grand over! Honey, sweetie. I just got back on the list because I know we can make a couple of thousand dollars. I'll just take delivery of the car. Hold it for a month or two, and then sell it for more than I paid for it. You know, you'd look good in diamonds." :D

3) In the mean time, I'd shop around for a near by self storage and save an extra $1,000. ;)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Do you really think the second hand market will be that strong intially as well? I know some will try to sell their spots, but some dealers make it hard to transfer the position to someone else or let someone else title the car.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I do think the demand will be strong initially. My dealer flat out told me that if they thought a buyer was speculating, they would drop down the waiting list.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Randy Chase said:
My dealer flat out told me that if they thought a buyer was speculating, they would drop down the waiting list.
Scottsdale Lotus told me the same thing too.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Maybe I misread his post, but I think his wife was upset that he dropped off the list, not the other way around. Either way, sorry to have lost you.

Something to keep in mind.....there are people who have two and three deposits down at various dealers...they'll take the first car to arrive and then what? You may be able to talk some of them into giving you their place should you change your mind, rather than waiting for car number #50 somewhere.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I had to read it a couple times. But I think the "wife's scowl" was in reference to her reaction when he told her he had put a deposit on the car. And that was on his mind when he pulled his order.

Still, it's not like he is saying he won't get an Elise... just that he is postponing it for one more year. :)

Then again, maybe we will never see Imp again and nobody will ever know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was her being mad not that I dropped/bowed off off the list but that I was on the list at all.... ;)

"Hello?"
"Can I please speak to Mr. Imp? This is Aston-Martin/Lotus of (City) calling"
[Hands over phone....to me:]"What's this about? Lotus?!?"
[Takes phone]"Ummm Hi." :D

Next year there should be someone that got really tired of having to litterally climb in and out of the car and will sell it for a song.

We'll see. I was planning on selling the wagon to get the car... but that's not going to happen by me keeping it for next year now, will it? ;)

--kC

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Keith, you really should get out while you're on top.

The WRX's days in STX are numbered.

'Cuz I'm building a STX Lotus Cortina!
135 hp in 1850 lbs.

Either that or I'll put Azenis on Taka's car!

Or I'll just run the RX-7 again...

I'll certainly be surprised if the Elise is in my garage in time to be sorted for Topeka.

Robert Puertas

p.s. - Hey Randy, we really should make some deal involving co-driving whoever's car shows up first...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Robert Puertas said:

p.s. - Hey Randy, we really should make some deal involving co-driving whoever's car shows up first...
Good point.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Hmm.... it will be interesting when the cars start coming in, won't it? Who gets one first. How long each will wait?

Who does what with their car? First track events? First road trips?

It should be a blast.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
payneinthe said:
If they're both here in time, then you'll need 2 co-drivers. I got first dibs! :D
Funny. I heard this a few times this year.

"Oh.. you are getting an Elise next year? You know.. you can drive my car this year. Anytime. It would be cool you know?"

:)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hands off Payne, that co-drive seat is MINE!!! I saw it first!

Seriously though, I hope I can get a co-drive with someone before I cut the check. If it happened to be the San Diego Tour, I'd be happy to reciprocate with a co-drive at Atwater in whatever I happen to be driving at the time (probably the Miata). [edit: Hmm, I guess the San Diego Tour would be an impossibility, being in March with the cars sue in April...maybe a trade of a San Diego local event for an AAS event later in the year]

Robert Puertas said:
Either that or I'll put Azenis on Taka's car!
You know, I've been wondering why nobody has tried that yet. Or have they, and the Civics are just so good that no one noticed?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No-one's built one yet. (Taka's car) :)

If I could find one someplace, I would campaign that car in a heartbeat in STS or STX (with the limited slip).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My idiot friend sold his (admittedly rusty) GT-S coupe when he bought his (currently non-running) 944. :rolleyes: He didn't even get a chance to take advantage of the Initial D markup!

For some reason, all the AE86 drivers around here run in FSP, except the one who's playing in SM.

Is the factory LSD viscous type and therefore legal in STS?

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it wasn't bad enough that the drift kids are demolishing AE-86 cars en masse, the Locost 7 uses that car as a donor and the chassis is thought to be somewhat susceptible to rust.

Asking prices for an 85-87 Corolla GTS Hatch or Notch have been seen well above 5 grand for cars with over 200K miles. Unbelievable.

I almost hate admitting how long I scoured the classifieds for one of those in decent shape at a reasonable price...

-la

1 - 18 of 18 Posts