The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas of what I could put in place of the stereo? I'm looking for ideas for both speaker holes and where the head unit was.

Kev

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Id just cut out some thin gauge aluminum to fit. Put a lotus sticker on the faceplate or similar if you want to get all fancy

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You can put passive speakers in there. They dont have a magnet nor a driver, therefore no wieght. It still looks like a speaker though.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
DIN sized gauge face plate.

Google and you will find a bunch. I have considered removing my stereo (head unit) and installing a small 4 channel amplifier in the back of the cavity. Then installing a gauge face plate in the front and putting a 1/8" stereo jack in the lower corner of the face plate that runs to the RCA jacks in the amplifier. This would allow me to hook up and iPod, Sansa or the like. Some of the MP3 players even have FM stereo tuners that may work ok (although I am sure not as good).

Some Links:
Thompson DIN gauge panel
eBay Motors: New South Universal DIN / Radio 3 Gauge Panel (item 380022770693 end time Jun-28-08 04:26:20 PDT)
eBay Motors: DIN Size Triple 52mm Gauge Pod 2 1/16" Custom In Dash (item 290238670566 end time Jun-20-08 12:13:34 PDT)
Awesome GTI Store UK - VW Corrado

Attachments

·
shay2nak
24,993 Posts
carbon fiber sheet for the front speaker holes.

Can you weigh all the stuff after you remove it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i did one stereo removal on an elise, i filled the speaker holes with carbon fiber circles i cut out then i put sone door edge trim around them to "finish" them. then we moved the climate control to the radio hole, took a bit of fabricating to make it look nice, but it did end up beautiful. we also removed the back panel behind the seats, and i made a bracket to keep the rear interior lamp out of aluminum. but......i forgot to take pics:wallbang:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Auto Europe pulled my speakers, cut black plastic circles to fill the holes, and put the speaker grills back on.

All of the weight savings with a with no visual change from stock.

I used the Porsche 996 cubby posted above for the head unit delete.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, these are great ideas. Thanks. I'll post pics once I figure out which direction to go.
I will weigh the stereo parts that I remove. I have a pretty accurate scale, so I should be able to get within 1/10 of a pound (because I know some of us like that kind of accuracy).

This is the start of my weight loss program. I have been thinking a lot about dropping weight on the car.

I also lost about 18 pounds off my fat butt which helps too!
Kev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts