·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Naw, I am the high bidder at $202.50

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! I was just bidding you up to make you pay over $200!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Lol. You guys are funny. That is a STUNNING Esprit! Wow! Good luck. What do you figure it's worth?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Way more than I bid. But If I get it for the sum I bid, it will be "dance in the streets" time.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's pointless to try and guess a value, but I am in a pointless mood: $25K

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I knew I had seen this car before:
1991 Used Lotus Esprit Jim Clark Edition at Canepa Serving Scotts Valley, IID 5650604

Not good that they are using old photos to advertise it now even though they only added a 1000+ miles to the odo.

If you look at the photo of the Car & Drive article in the other ad, that's my #16 that they used as a press car. I always wondered if Lotus beefed it up a little bit knowing it would be used for performance tests. It did run strong.

Found one of the owners that had it after me:
http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOwners/JAnderson.html

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sorry, but I am not a fan of those yellow wheels, they are hideous and certainly don't go with the BRG paintwork.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, but I am not a fan of those yellow wheels, they are hideous and certainly don't go with the BRG paintwork.
A very polarizing color scheme for sure.

But you do realize these "hideous" yellow wheels with BRG are not a Jim Clark Esprit exclusive? It's on a heck of a lot of Lotus racing cars, and it would be a little on the sacrilege side to call yourself a Lotus fan and not like this color combo.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If I remember correctly Canepa wanted something like $85k for it. I wonder what it sold for. It's not worth that much, but if that's the car you want this one is probably in the best condition.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does Canepa have a reputation for putting ridiculous prices on cars and then selling them at a 1/3? Because that's the reality of this car.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
A very polarizing color scheme for sure.

and it would be a little on the sacrilege side to call yourself a Lotus fan and not like this color combo.
On the smaller F1 cars in the 60's (which look almost dainty next to a contemporary car) I think it was fantastic but on larger cars it's a case of more not being better. I can respect it on an Esprit but it reminds me of John Deere equipment.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
On the smaller F1 cars in the 60's (which look almost dainty next to a contemporary car) I think it was fantastic but on larger cars it's a case of more not being better. I can respect it on an Esprit but it reminds me of John Deere equipment.
You could put tow hitch with a rake on the backside and a snowblower attachment on the front... sure to impress your neighbors. All of that HP to push snow!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
At the time the Jim Clark Esprit was new, I was very active in selling Lotus cars. Ironically, those cars were very difficult to give away when new, as most buyers with the funds did not like the package. Many Dealers lost money on them. The pictures of this car are very nice, and its great that model has developed into a sought after vehicle by those who appreciate it. I have to say I was not a fan at the time, but that car looks nice now!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At the time the Jim Clark Esprit was new, I was very active in selling Lotus cars. Ironically, those cars were very difficult to give away when new, as most buyers with the funds did not like the package. Many Dealers lost money on them. The pictures of this car are very nice, and its great that model has developed into a sought after vehicle by those who appreciate it. I have to say I was not a fan at the time, but that car looks nice now!
When I was trying to decide what exotic I was going to buy when I got out of Africa (oil field), I stopped at a Lotus dealer outside of NYC to look at them while I was on vacation. They had a number of Esprits parked outside and that's where I saw a Jim Clark Esprit for the first time. It caught my eye in a good way and my immediate reaction was not to want to look at it. I didn't want to look at it because I thought it was clearly a special edition that I couldn't or wouldn't want to afford since it must be so much more expensive than the others. It looked that much better to me.

When I made that comment to the sales rep about that it must cost much more, he said, "you'd be surprised."

It wasn't time for me to buy then, but if it was, I might have driven it home that day. I'll never know for sure, but a couple of years later when I transferred back to Houston, I bought a 2 year old Jim Clark Esprit sight-unseen from a dealer in downtown Boston. I flew up to pick it up and then drove it back to NYC to catch a truck to Houston. You couldn't believe the attention that car was getting on the drive. I was honestly frightened by the maneuvers other cars were making to get up close to see it. In my old college town of Worcester, known for having some of the least nice New Englanders, the cars would part at intersections to let the Jimmy Clark go by just so they could watch it. In NYC, I thought for sure I was going to be car jacked as all eyes were on the car. I took it straight to the parking garage to wait for the truck, and put it under its custom cover right away.

Turns out the previous owner was from NYC, so I met him in the city to pick up a few missing pieces from the car including the matching replica steering wheel for #16.

Who knows, he could have been the one that bought that car I saw that day.

The steering wheel is still hanging on the wall beside me in the home office.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Canepa approached me about a year ago when I was selling my restored white/plaid S1 and wanted to do a trade. At that time he was wanting about 80ish thousand for his Esprit. More than likely he is still in that neighborhood of price

1 - 18 of 18 Posts