The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YouTube - Two Lotus Esprit V8s[/QUOTE]

I am soooooo in love with the sound of this silver Esprit with straight exhausts must be gmendoza's beast, its insane. I cant stop thinking about how I could do the same with the old style wide exit system. But can anyone tell me what the db readings are on his car if he dosent chim in :eek: ? Readings need to be recorded at idle and moderate to low revs?? I have a limit of 99db I am aloud on my Esprit in NZ and I figured no mufflers and straight through with no bends would easily put this well over 105?

I also need to configure my pipes to run straight and not the twin exit system as per the later design so would this make it louder again? Anyway I have to get rid of the current mufflers they are too quiet compared to your guys exhausts.

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
lol Thanks Kylie, yes that's my Esprit. I really don't know what the db reads are but it is loud.

Now you got me wondering. Anyone know where i can borrow a db gauge in So Cal?

I have 2.5" madrel-bent pipes with 4" single-walled tips. If you run your pipes straight, it may be louder than if you cross them (left bank exiting on right side and vise versa) although it'll be a small difference. Double-walled resonated tips in a smaller diameter will also quiet it just a little bit. Now Sport cats (like a 100 cell) will quiet it down quite a bit without changing the tone much.

Also, I think I read somewhere that your car is a x-plane not a flat-plane crank. Is that true?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No thought it might have been but its a std flat plane crank. Thanks for exhaust info crossing the pipes neatly infront of the rear diffuser I think would look great and sound would be idylic. But yeah love to know what sound yrs is putting out. :bow:

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
LOL ...I think it'll be way over 100 db...my buddy with an Evo was pulled over and sent to the referee station. His car was measured at around 100-105db. My car though is not as loud as Mr. Wildman's car(quite similar set up)...and my car is still louder than my buddy's Evo, oh and not just a little louder...:D

Gmendoza, maybe you want to share with us about your ex-neighbor's thoughts...LOL!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts