The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I did a dumb thing the other day. I took my brother (who was here from out of town) on a long drive on Saturday in my Evora. We had a great time on the drive. When I got home, my daughter and I cleaned the car, and I put it away in the garage. I forgot that I had left the hatch ajar. Two days later I go out into the garage and what do you know, flat battery! So I plug in my trickle charger and get a red flashing light. I call my dealer and talked to my mechanic. He said it most likely would not charge. So I had him order a battery and made arrangements for him to come over and replace it, + reset every thing i.e., radio, garage opener, windows, ect.

Well I thought, let’s just leave it on charge over night. And what do you know, it was charging (flashing green light) the next morning. After I got home from work the charger had a constant green light. So I said to my self let’s see if I can reset everything on my own.
To my surprise the Nav system retained all of my destinations and most settings. The garage door button still opened my garage door, and the windows still did their thing when I pulled up on the door handle. The only things that I had to reset were, the auto door look feature, the radio stations, and sound quality adjustments, + the Nav volume. I also had to reset the time.
I use the owner’s manual for all of the above. And it all worked.
So I called my mechanic and told him that he did not need to come by.
Well this morning I go out and open the door to car, and window did not go down, and when I closed the door the interior light stayed on. So I did a forum search for the windows, and it worked.
So I guess even someone like me fix some things on our cars.
Ron:clap:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice... I have had the same problem with the trickle chargers before. I usually just set it for motorcycle then come back an hour later and set it for regular car battery then it is all good.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The Evora seems to have an unusually high parasitic draw when the car is off... When I had my battery replaced under warranty, all was well for about a month before it started getting week. After only a few days, the car wouldn't fire up as strongly, and it would get progressively worse as time went by. I had to regularly top it off every week to keep the voltage from getting too low (which could damage the battery).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Evora seems to have an unusually high parasitic draw when the car is off... When I had my battery replaced under warranty, all was well for about a month before it started getting week. After only a few days, the car wouldn't fire up as strongly, and it would get progressively worse as time went by. I had to regularly top it off every week to keep the voltage from getting too low (which could damage the battery).
Don't forget I left the hatch ajar, and the trunk light was on. i also had my battery replaced once as well.
Ron

·
Registered
200 Posts
I actually find the opposite. My Elise would drain the battery in 2-3 weeks but the Evora I've left for over 2 months and had no issue starting.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Great information Ron. I will keep this in mind. Has anyone replaced the original OEM battery in the Evora with an AGM like a Red Top Optima? I really haven't measured to see if they fit for replacement.??

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've noticed that when my battery is totally flat, neither of my float chargers will bring it back up. (I have a Deltron Tender+ and a cheapie from Chicago Electric.)

If I jump the car, and drive it a bit, then either of them are able to finish the job and charge that battery back up.

If this happens to you... don't give up if your float charger won't charge the battery.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I have an interstate and it always starts up just fine after sitting for some time. This winter it sat for about a month. I plugged in the charger and yes it did need a charge but it started no problem before I plugged it in. What do we think the draw might be? Are the batteries going flat with the security system on? I do not usually have mine on in the garage. Something is drawing it unless its good old Lucas again.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
that's what happened to me! i left the hatch slightly open and came back the next night and battery was totally dead.

WHY? what does it matter if the hatch is open?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
that's what happened to me! i left the hatch slightly open and came back the next night and battery was totally dead.

WHY? what does it matter if the hatch is open?
ron avery said:
Don't forget I left the hatch ajar, and the trunk light was on
ARA - Ron leaving his Evora trunk ajar-made the light stay on--thus draining the battery.

RON-glad you got it fixed. Got the PM, need to call you next week, been crazy busy!

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
ARA - Ron leaving his Evora trunk ajar-made the light stay on--thus draining the battery.

RON-glad you got it fixed. Got the PM, need to call you next week, been crazy busy!
my car is exige and has no trunk light. Still a mystery, but I figured the drain had to do with me leaving the hatch popped.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts