The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mother who has been anti-every sports car I have ever owned... just called me and was so excited, she told me "I just saw a silver Elise" !!!!!!! She even sat in mine when I got it, another rarity. Just wanted to share.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I hear ya.

My parents dont care much for cars. They do, but they dont. Some friends of theirs have a Maybach and they like that...they like cushy stupid cars. Mine are finally realising how cool the elise are and its kind of neat, for the first time in my 30 years they actually pay attention to my cars.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Day one of ownership I drove the car to my 81 year old grandmothers house. She still drives (an oldsmobile).

Anyway ... she loved the car!

In her strong accent:
"Oh my! I like!"
"Yellow! Waaa! So nice!"
"I never see one like this!"

then she looked inside. Her face scrunched up like a reaction to a bad smell ... she stood up straight and confronted me an angry look.

"I no like stick! Why you no get automatic?!"

:D :D :D

My dad also liked the car at first ... till he had so much trouble getting in and out of it. Heh.

-doma

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Wish I had your luck.

My dad doesn't like it. He thinks it's a waste of money and calls me a moron for wanting it.

My brother / financial advisor concurs. He brother calls me an attention whore and says I have deep-seated emotional issues if I have to get a sports car to be happy.

My mom is afraid that I'm gonna die. She pleads with me not to get it, or any sports car for that matter.

My friends all tell me that it's a POS underpowered kit car and that I'll lose my ass on it.

:(:(:( Wonder why I'm having second thoughts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
hehehe, sounds like you have a very supportive group of family and friends. This explains a lot about your posts.

transio said:
Wish I had your luck.

My dad doesn't like it. He thinks it's a waste of money and calls me a moron for wanting it.

My brother / financial advisor concurs. He brother calls me an attention whore and says I have deep-seated emotional issues if I have to get a sports car to be happy.

My mom is afraid that I'm gonna die. She pleads with me not to get it, or any sports car for that matter.

My friends all tell me that it's a POS underpowered kit car and that I'll lose my ass on it.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
transio said:
Wish I had your luck.

Transio, I don't know your age but the older one gets the less one cares about what others think. If YOU want the car......get it. If you get personal enjoyment driving and owning the Elise, then it's worth more to you than money. Perhaps the Elise is exactly what you need...........you won't hear any of those negative voices while you're out driving.......and you'll be doing a lot of it.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
My dad didn't know what the hell the big deal was with the car until Biobaggie was kind enough to give him a ride. He has turned to the dark force now! My mom likes it, but safety is her main concern. As long as my dad is sold, I'm in.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

Sounds like your father and brother think of automobiles in the same category as toaster and microwaves. But each person has to have at least one obsession in their life. Saving money until you die won't make you a very happy dead person - it only leaves happy inheritors.

Sounds like every mother's natural fear for a son. My mother hasn't seen how small the Elise is in real life, and won't until it's here. :)

I've found there's a group of auto- enthusiasts that can't really seem to understand that horsepower is directly related to weight and gearing. Narrow minded are they! Also, my friends won't be making the car payment so they don't get to have an opinion.

:(:(:( Wonder why I'm having second thoughts? [/B]
To be honest, even in this 11th hour, I'm having second thoughts because I know the 2005 SLK350/AMG or a 2005 C6 would suit my needs and my geographic location much better than the Elise would. Also, I can't lease the Elise, which means I'm going to be committed to it for sometime and hope it holds it's value better than a Boxster.

But in thinking about my response to your post -you know what, we only live once. If we get the Elise and in a few months decide it's not right for us, we can sell it. Maybe we'll take a loss - but that's life. But what we will have is the months of ownership and the knowledge that "this" is what it was like to have an Elise.

Now, where the #[email protected]#$ is my car!!!!!! :wallbang:

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
[You] to have at least one obsession in their life. Saving money until you die won't make you a very happy dead person - it only leaves happy inheritors.
LOL... I agree. I guess some people are just obsessed with money!

Sounds like every mother's natural fear for a son.
I suppose it doesn't help that I totaled a car a few years ago. :eek:

Narrow minded are they!
Yeah, but they raise a lot of doubts about the car that I have myself. That's the biggest issue, I guess. Not all say that it's underpowered. Some realize its value as a sports car, but they raise other issues that concern me... :(

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My wife was all into me getting it and was loving it too - we'd go on drives and she thought it was great.

Then one day she cought me sitting in a chair staring at the car (I had moved the chair out to the driveway). Now anytime I drive it or look at it or type on elisetalk she say's I'm obsessed and need help. :( :( Yeah? So? Bah.

-doma

·
Registered
592 Posts
My parents have lived 30 years with my car obsessions and are excited knowing how long I have wanted a car like this. They have even called me twice to tell me of Elise spottings. My mother (at 73) thinks I should have bought CO (but she is a very stylish person) but she likes the Laser Blue I ordered.

And my wife has been totally supportive. When I went to test drive the car last year she said "you're going to put down a deposit" - seemed like the green light to me so I did!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts