The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fantasizing about a daily driver / beater / hoon mobile for a while now. Then I saw this CL ad today.

'96 Miata M-Edition

What do you guys think? I could parallel park it on the street, not give a **** if it gets dinged, drive it like a moron on the track without fear of damaging it too much, teach my girlfriend how to drive stick...

Should I? Should I not? What y'all think?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
other than probably needing a new top, AC back in and a few other small things, sounds good. Miata's are really easy to work on. I'd say go for it.

Seller sounds like a cool guy from the description of the car.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
every major part on a miata is 19.99 :)

If yiou got a place to put it, go for it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
No joke, my friend bought a complete engine and transmission for his miata for $200. Ran like a champ.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guess if u dont care what other people think.. go for it. Most ppl stereotype guys who drive miatas. i care too much about how ppl percieve me..

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's alright. I don't really care what people will think about me in the car. My blindingly shiny personality and invasive aura of good-will shall overcome all misguided perceptions of a small Asian man in a dinky Miata Junker.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Wait, seriously?
Seriously. He traded some kid his civic for a miata straight up. Ends up that he found an engine and transmission with far less miles. Got the whole setup for $200. He also got a used set of coilovers, wheels, tires, steering wheel, racing seats, and a hardtop for less than $2500. I was out autocrossing with him a couple weeks ago... and that car is awesome for the price!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
do some research on parts costs you will be giddy with delight! I want one but have no place to keep it......sadface

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I got a miata for my GF. I told her she could drive the lotus, when her PAX (car type corrected) time was faster than mine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
at 1800$, you can't loose much...

·
Registered
98 Posts
DO IT!! Seams like a good price for the car and it has decent miles. I had a 99 and regret selling it. I will be getting another for a track beater! They are so easy and fun to drive who cars if you look like a *** in it! hahahahah

·
Registered
765 Posts
People who think Miatas are gay are fools. Miatas are one of the best sports cars ever made.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Absolute bargain. If it was anywhere close to me, I'd have it already.

Ask about whether the cam belt has been changed recently. Buy it either way, but it's nice to know. A broken cam belt will not wreck the engine or cost you any more than replaceing a working belt, except for the tow-truck costs.

Check for oil leak under the back end of the left camshaft. Buy the car either way, it's an easy fix. You need to replace a cheap little O-ring. Do it, because the oil leak rots the heater hose, both of which you will replace while you are in there.

Clutch slaves tend to go bad. That's one of those "19.99" parts. Easy change, and it will self-bleed by mad pumping of the pedal.

Don't hesitate: buy this thing before he comes to his senses. I think all the M models have the excellent TorSen diff, and probably ABS, too.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i miss my Miata. Buy it and make me feel better. That has the 1600cc motor right? Great freakin' motor. Could not kill mine. Mine was a '92.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts