The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally succame to my daughter's beck and call......"Dad, get under here with us!" as the supposed tornadoe struck down upon us. "Hey, I've been through a million of these things, I'll be cool." "No, Dad, get in here now!" (over and over again)

Well,. for the first time in my whole life I finally hid under my work bench after I heard the storm go a swirling sound like a whosh - a whoosh - a - whoosh - something I've never heard in my life. OK, after 15 seconds and nothing happened I'm back in the garage looking out and a swoop of wind picks me up and hurls me about. No, not really. (Just the pick me up part) Just heavy rain. Gotcha though.

My kid really was scared though - not from me but from her pansy assed friends telling her about all the tornadoes in the area.

I really did get under the bench for 10 or 15 seconds though. I really never heard anything like that before. I wish I had stayed out to see what the Hell it was. Now I'll never know.

I did learn one new thing - I need a new roof. (No, it wasn't torn off, just leaky).
Big sigh of relief here..................

I still can't believe I cleared a spot under my work bench though for a little weather thingy - I must be getting soft.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
*slap* DAS! DAS! *slap* WAKE UP!!! WAKE UP!! "You having a bad dream or sumthin?" ":You were whimpering like a puppy in the rain" :) J/K.

Seriously, I don't think hiding under a bench would do you or the bench much good.

Do you have a basement or cellar you could set up as a shelter?

Seriously again, you should be commended for your anxiety.
The eve that Parkersburg Iowa was leveled, the sirens were going off in nearby Independence. Bizarrely, people started to walk out into the street with cellphone cams and video cams and their children. They milled around recording the lurid changes of colour in the sky instead of taking shelter. Feckin' incredible.

m

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I was in a tornado around ~1974. I looked straight up into the funnel from the front seat of a Chevy Caprice. The father of the girl I was dating was driving. It was a small town in Missouri. He had been caught in a pickup truck in the same town many years earlier. That tornado picked up his truck and set it down about 300 feet away. He was terrified. I thought it was really cool.

When we returned to town, I saw all the damage that tornado had done. All of a sudden, I had a lot more respect for the power of tornadoes. There were seven tornadoes in that small county that day.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
When we returned to town, I saw all the damage that tornado had done. All of a sudden, I had a lot more respect for the power of tornadoes.

Yes, you never really comprehend the damage until you see the aftermath in person rather than on TV.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Once you've seen one of these things rip through your hometown and destroy your neighbors' homes, you realize their power and you gain a new respect for them. On August 16, 1994 at least 20 tornados tore through the state. I watched the worst one cut straight through town and within a hundred yards of my house.

From the NWS:

(F3) A tornado caused major damage to the Glassmaster factory in Lexington. The tornado stayed mainly on the ground as it passed near a nursing home and into the Secret Cove area at Lake Murray. The storm dissipated over Lake Murray. Approximately 200 homes were damaged, along with many businesses, churches and public buildings. 40 people were injured and 15,000 customers were without electrical power.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My sister lives in Edmond, OK. and has one of those concrete safe rooms in her current home and last time I was there I checked out an underground shelter! It is serious business there! Glad you are safe!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
We woke up to find our horse trailer in the middle of our front yard. The wind obviously rolled it there. But still, that's a lot of wind!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes, you never really comprehend the damage until you see the aftermath in person rather than on TV.
...what she said.

I drove through Greensburg, Kansas last year about two weeks after a tornado
removed that town from the map----I had seen picture in the newspaper and even some video on TV -----2-D images can't do anything for what you see in person. To see that kind of destruction in EVERY direction stretching as far as you can see......

The TV news crews that go 'storm chasing' are idiots. The only footage I want to see from them is their final moments when they find themselves being tossed away.

jm

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
aw, john....
the only wind that would have evomind diving for cover would be the wind that comes out of your ass...:)
glad u and yours are ok...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Normally I love a good storm. And I have seen homes blown apart first hand. I've seen the tree in my front yard parallel to the ground. I've had a big ass gas grill thrown 12 feet across my deck. It was the whoosh-a-whoosh-a-whoosh sound that kinda got me nervous. My kid on her cell with her friend telling her there's tornados everywhere probably didn't help much!

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
The TV news crews that go 'storm chasing' are idiots. The only footage I want to see from them is their final moments when they find themselves being tossed away.

Hmmmmm.....what is it I do for a living?????

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I lived in Wyoming for six years. Tornados were a regular occurrence, although they only had one touch down in town. It seems that it happened a few years before we moved there, and took out a whole line of houses. Including the one we lived it.

The original owner closed escrow on the brand new house on Monday at 4:30. Around 9:00 am Tuesday, the tornado removed the house - nothing but the bare foundation left. She never even got to walk into her house. They rebuilt the house on the existing foundation and we bought in years later. The neighbors all showed us the photos of the destruction. :eek:

The day before we left Wyoming, we went up to the woods to picnic with some friends that we camping. From the top of the mountain, I got to watch the funnel cloud form and pass by a small distance away (it never touched down). I figured it was Wyoming saying good buy to us...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts