The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ypjLtZSyDo&NR=1

kinda long and boring but at 6:11 into it the guy jumps out of the car, passenger side by putting his right hand over the rollbar and left hand over the windshield pillar (no roof) and jumps over the door. :thwack:

I held my breath and thought i would see the pillar and glass collapse! Not that I would ever do it but maybe that front pillar is stronger than we thought.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
It only had to support half his weight since one hand was over the rear support. So, the question remains, how easily does the windshield break if someone pulls once self up with it supporting all of one's weight?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ I'm part of the "let's find out on someone else's car" club. rotfl

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
^^^ I'm part of the "let's find out on someone else's car" club. rotfl
Me too.

Actually, glass is pretty strong - up until the point that it breaks.

All you have to do to see that it's not a good idea to pull on the windshield is to pull on it gently. You will notice that it flexes quite a bit. There is no metal structure surrounding the glass, only a fiberglass frame.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Me too.

Actually, glass is pretty strong - up until the point that it breaks.
Or if it's already cracked a little bit, the stress will channel to that imperfection and boom!

I learned that back in my hockey days with a well-placed slap shot. I was a hero to all the kids in the younger leagues. I wonder if they still talk about me in the dressing rooms.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
It only had to support half his weight since one hand was over the rear support. So, the question remains, how easily does the windshield break if someone pulls once self up with it supporting all of one's weight?
Actually probably a lot less than 1/2 his weight. He jumped and used them for balance. He probably never put his full weight on the window/rollbar. Also, the jumper probably was applying pressure outward down the glass as opposed to pulling it down as you would when you pull on it to get up. When one pulls up from the seat, there is an angular advantage to apply the full pressure to the weakest part of the window/frame.

Totally different energy dynamics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts