The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... that the government of South Carolina is making a huge mistake.

"'I believe' license plates become law
Drivers will soon be ablel to buy a Christian-themed license tag with the words "I Believe" on it. The tag includes a cross on a stainedglass window.

Gov. Mark Sanford did not sign the bill passed by the General Assembly, fearing the license plate will open up the state to lawsuits. But the governor did not veto the measure.

Sanford had until midnight Wednesday to sign more than 40 bills into law. The governor vetoed six of those bills. "

·
Registered
9,786 Posts

Drivers will soon be ablel to buy a Christian-themed license tag with the words "I Believe" on it. The tag includes a cross on a stainedglass window.

Gov. Mark Sanford did not sign the bill passed by the General Assembly, fearing the license plate will open up the state to lawsuits. But the governor did not veto the measure.

Sanford had until midnight Wednesday to sign more than 40 bills into law. The governor vetoed six of those bills. "
Hmmm... I don't know about this one. I suppose if you let people buy license plates that have their favorite sports franchise on them, you can let them buy a license plate that has their favorite flying spaghetti monster on them too. Can you get one with a flying spaghetti monster? No? OK, I might have a problem with this then...

·
Registered
6,570 Posts

Isn't that is what is called a 'pocket veto?' Still has the same effect, at least at the federal level.

Either way, yeah, that license plate would be the end of the free world as we know it. Gotta pick and choose who gets free speech, you know.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Is it going to be on all license plates or just for people that choose it? If it's not forced on people (all plates) then I don't see the problem. Actually, in that case, it would be wrong for the governor to block the plate.

Here in Virginia, you can get about anything you want on a license plate. If it doesn't already exist, you have to get 350 people to sign up for it, and as long as it's not offensive or a copy right violation, you can have the plate design. They sell lots of special plates - colleges, unions, Harleys, etc. Here's a link to the 200 or so special plates.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
How 'bout Muslim themed. "I Believe...it'll be $6 per gallon"

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it going to be on all license plates or just for people that choose it? If it's not forced on people (all plates) then I don't see the problem. Actually, in that case, it would be wrong for the governor to block the plate.

Here in Virginia, you can get about anything you want on a license plate. If it doesn't already exist, you have to get 350 people to sign up for it, and as long as it's not offensive or a copy right violation, you can have the plate design. They sell lots of special plates - colleges, unions, Harleys, etc. Here's a link to the 200 or so special plates.
It is offensive - to me and thousands of others. It is produced / manufactured by the government, so that translates to state sponsored christian / religious propaganda. Can I get an atheist one ? (for NC), if so, then I will agree to it, until then - hell no!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
It is offensive - to me and thousands of others. It is produced / manufactured by the government, so that translates to state sponsored christian / religious propaganda. Can I get an atheist one ? (for NC), if so, then I will agree to it, until then - hell no!
No offense, but I have no idea why people get all bent out of shape on these things. I'm an atheist, and I couldn't care less.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a HUGE problem with this, and I sure hope the ACLU gets all over this.

Why? Because I want an upside-down star-inside-a-circle emblem with the words "Satan RULEZ!" on my license plate.

Or maybe I'd get the star of david with the words "WE are the chosen people, not you".

Or perhaps a cross inside a red circle-with-slash emblem and the phrase "Religion is for idiots".

What about a swastika with the phrase "I (heart) Hitler"?

I'm sure they'd let Muslims have plates with the star-and-crescent with the phrase "Jihad NOW!", wouldn't they?

Because ALL of these MUST be permitted if they're going to let christians proclaim their belief in tinkerbell in stamped metal.

Actually, it might be fun to get the christian icon on a vanity plate that says "IM DUMB" or "I SUCK", or with some interesting phrases on the license plate frame...

I couldn't even believe it when I read about these license plates in the NY Times last week. Sheesh.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
You seem a little angry. Who cares? The government is not paying for it, it is the other way around. For the record, I'm agnostic.

Your attachment did make me laugh out loud though. I'd like a t-shirt.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
No offense, but I have no idea why people get all bent out of shape on these things. I'm an atheist, and I couldn't care less.
Because superstitions have led to most of the worlds great conflicts. One most recently which is bankrupting our country.

Religion has no place in an educated and civilized society.

Its plain dangerous.

·
Registered
232 Posts
cool. So who's gonna be the first to reserve XFILES as a custom license plate? ;-) Then it'll just be a matter of changing the cross into a flying saucer.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
IMHO, the legislature shouldn't have passed a bill focusing on any specific phrase (if that's what they did)-that looks like (and, in this case, probably is) government support of a specific religious position.

It would have been better for the legislature to pass a bill that allows any special interest group that meets a certain threshold (signatures like Tim's Virginia example) to have whatever motto they wish on their license plates.

Colorado has a "Choose life" plate option. But at least it's just one of the many optional plates out there, all of them revenue generators for the state.

Can I have "Allahu Akbar?" I doubt it...

Tom

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I don't care one way or the other about the plates, but some of the logic presented in this thread is funny.

It's okay as long as they make the one YOU like, but you're against it if they don't? Puhleeeze.

It's unfair unless they make every single possible type? They don't make all the sports teams. They don't make all the colleges. They make the ones that they think are most popular and most likely to sell. There's no law that requires anybody to offer Satan worshipers equal product accessibility as Christians or any of the other more popular ones.

It's offensive? So what? The constitution allows you a right to PURSUE happiness, not to have it given to you by default.

State sponsored? In TX I know license plates are payed for by registration FEES paid directly by the plate user. They are NOT payed for through any generally applied taxes. Is this not the case in SC?

xtn

PS - If the idea of allowing any special interest group to request their own design if they meet a minimum production run becomes widespread, maybe a bunch of us could band together and request they be made smaller/thinner to reduce weight!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I understand why people choose not to be religious, but I don't understand why people get completely pissed-off about other people's religion. Your comments are not limited to the belief of separation between church and state; you just absolutely hate the idea of someone being a Christian. Were you molested by a priest or something? Is it a self-esteem issue? Where does all of the anger come from?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I understand why people choose not to be religious, but I don't understand why people get completely pissed-off about other people's religion. Your comments are not limited to the belief of separation between church and state; you just absolutely hate the idea of someone being a Christian. Were you molested by a priest or something? Is it a self-esteem issue? Where does all of the anger come from?

+1

It's always been interesting that almost without fail, the ones who cite religion as the cause of most conflicts often express that view with the most angry, insulting, almost frenetic rhetoric.

My own view is let the people of South Carolina decide for themselves. If they don't like that the legislature passed it, and that the Governor didn't veto it, they can take action at the next election. It's South Carolina's business.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
+1

It's always been interesting that almost without fail, the ones who cite religion as the cause of most conflicts often express that view with the most angry, insulting, almost frenetic rhetoric.
Being pissed off and starting wars is a little different.

Religious fanatics cause trouble EVERY SINGLE DAY.

How many times do you see an atheist killing theists because they are theists?

We all know the opposite happens on a massive scale every single day, killing innocent men women and children. Your superstitions are effecting OUR lives, thats plenty to be pissed about.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Religious fanatics cause trouble EVERY SINGLE DAY.

How many times do you see an atheist killing theists because they are theists?
Ahhh... Russia (before it broke up). China (still today).

How about we change your statement to: "Fanatics cause trouble EVERY SINGLE DAY."

Like I said above (or tried to) I don't care if you have a fish symbol or a satan symbol, Penn State symbol, UVA symbol, or Air & Space symbol on your license plate, as long as no one tries to force any of them on on me (I have the cardinal - state bird - on one plate, and the autumn leaves - because it looks good on the Orange Elise - on the other).

If the state is going to put it on all plates, then that is wrong - just as the "Live Free or Die" plate (New Hampshire?) or the DC "Taxation Without Representation" plate they had for awhile...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
:rolleyes: It's not about people having religion, it's about religious people feeling the need to tell everyone about it and push it on others. It's even worse when a government agency does it too. Religion, or lack of, is a very personal thing and it very upsetting to have people push their beliefs on you, even if it is in a subtle manor. Religious bumper stickers suck too, but they are not being distributed by the govt..

And for the record, I think the sports plates and all the other designs are stupid too. The point of license plates is to be able to identify a car in case of emergencies or law breaking, not to advertise your love for something. All these different designs (and each state has many different designs and logos now) just make it harder to identify the plate.
I think the Europeans got this one right, big letters/numbers on a large easy to read plate, that are obvious which region they are from

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
:rolleyes: It's not about people having religion, it's about religious people feeling the need to tell everyone that about it and push it on others. It's even worse when a government agency does it too. Religion, or lack of, is a very personal thing and it very upsetting to have people push their beliefs on you, even if it is in a subtle manor. Religious bumper stickers suck too, but they are not being distributed by the govt..

And for the record, I think the sports plates and all the other designs are stupid too. The point of license plates is to be able to identify a car in case of emergencies or law breaking, not to advertise your love for something. All these different designs (and each state has many different designs and logos now) just make it harder to identify the plate.
I think the Europeans got this one right, big letters/numbers on a large easy to read plate, that are obvious which region they are from

"Like an Elise but turned up to 11"

I love it rotfl

1 - 20 of 29 Posts