The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well ok it's not a car it's a bike. Cadillac has licensed they're name to a Chinese bike manufacturer to make a line of Cadillac inspired bikes. Mine is a Fleetwood and includes a a really cool CVT hub called the Nuvinci. I read about the Nuvinci hub about 2 years ago in Popular Science and really wanted to try one out. The deal is you can shift while stopped, while pedaling, while coasting, anytime. There are no gear steps and it has about the gear range of an old 10 speed. The bigest problem with the hub is it's heavy 7-8 lbs hence it appearing on a beach cruiser. here's some more info on the Nuvinci hub if your interested, it's really pretty cool and rides great:

Fallbrook Technologies

PopSci's Best of What's New 2007

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVPjhmTThPo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVPjhmTThPo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I, of course, had to do some modifications to the stock bike. I added an old school Brooks sprung leather saddle, a giant basket that I lined with birch, double kickstand, mirror, lights, and custom wood valve stem covers with the Cadillac logo on them. It's a tank and weighs in at about 55 lbs, but for cruising down the beach, of to the grocery store, or down to the local pub it can't be beat. here's some photo's:

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
That looks like a fabulous cruiser with great comfort. It's nice to see some great choices in "comfort bikes." Most of us aren't interested in being Lance Armstrong.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet bike!!!

are the "gears" automatic?

i remember some infomercial about this bicycle that shifted gears automatically according to riding situations?
No, not automatic just no discrete gear steps. You just twist the right grip to adjust gear ratios. Honestly I was never really bothered by derailleur systems on my mountain or road bikes but this is really sweet. If you ever feel like your not quite in the right gear you just twist the grip a little and you have an infinite gear range within the upper and lower limits available.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
That looks like a fabulous cruiser with great comfort. It's nice to see some great choices in "comfort bikes." Most of us aren't interested in being Lance Armstrong.
+1 :D

No, not automatic just no discrete gear steps. You just twist the right grip to adjust gear ratios. Honestly I was never really bothered by derailleur systems on my mountain or road bikes but this is really sweet. If you ever feel like your not quite in the right gear you just twist the grip a little and you have an infinite gear range within the upper and lower limits available.
OIC...got it...thanx for clarifying!!!

the "wood" accents and saddle seat really bring the bike out! :up:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The "landrider" is kind of interesting. I'd have to ride that one before being sold though. Something about a derailleur that decides when to shift for you sounds less than ideal.

I'm seriously thinking about triming a rear rack in birch and adding one of these, Margarita anyone?

Human Powered Tools for the Fun-Fueled Future

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Don't venture too far inland. You would definitely get jacked for your Caddy since it's already sittin on 24"s!! (or larger) :) LOL!

Sweet bike!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
That is a wonderful-looking bike!

BTW, "infinite" is a word often misapplied to cars, too. I think the correct term (gears, seat adjustments, etc) is "stepless".

Congrats.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
cool bike!
Aren't the rotors overkill though...I know, they look COOL!
At 55lbs it's a pig of a bike, why not have the max braking power available. :p

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Is that a cup holder or a humidor??

:D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At 55lbs it's a pig of a bike, why not have the max braking power available. :p
Funny thing about the disc in the back is it's complete crap. The hub wouldn't allow for a coaster brake so they added a cheapo disc in the rear. I actually just replaced it with an Avid mechanical disc that is much easier to adjust than the crappy one it came with. No bosses for a caliper or Cantilever Brake so a rear disc is really the only choice.

What it really needs is a front brake. Before getting this I don't remember the last time I road a bike without a front brake? You really need a front brake to stop quickly on any kind of a hill, don't ask how I found out but it was scary.

·
Registered
933 Posts
haha... I was thinking of bashing you about killing the envirnment and your wallet. But you bought a bike... not a tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts