The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
George B.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:surprise: Yes, I figure it's a pig in a poke, but the cams look good, plugs look good, and there's a liberal return policy. I saw the car was pretty well crashed, and I'm hoping the previous owner is OK, the car was a dark blue 2005 with a nicely painted set of covers on top of valve cover and intake plenum. The car is fitted with an aftermarket Sector 111 oil pan, and it looks like the owner kept his engine compartment clean. The Vin Number is SCCPC11115HL32961 if anyone knows the history of this engine I would be grateful to know more about it. Was it tracked hard, or did someone just want a bigger oil pan? you never know. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

George

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Ouch! What's the plan for it? Parts or repair? Selfish plug - I have a rear clam for sale for for $1200 shipped to WA unless rates have changed a lot :)

I replaced my pan simply because I wanted to add an oil temp sensor and figured I'd upgrade rather than modify the factory one. Even if the pan was updated because the owner tracked the car, that kinda shows the typical thought that tracked cars can be better cared for than many non-tracked ones. These motors can take a serious flogging when maintained well, so that's probably the case here since the pan was added.

·
George B.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the replies, I bought just the engine, checking under the valve cover, it could not be cleaner, but a lot of us are OCD on oil changes. The seller said the engine ran and was compression tested, I will likely do a leak down test, I have learned my lesson on compression tests, once having textbook readings, with one cylinder blowing oil past the rings big time. The leak down test found that bad cylinder immediately, the theory as to the cause was a stuck open thermostat, and that particular cylinder was blasted by too cold of coolant, that created a large taper in the cylinder. the other cylinders looked new.

I still have no clue if these are stock cams, and so much more to learn, and I guess it would be a sin NOT to take the pan off and check the mains and rod bearings before putting this engine back to work. I'm still hoping I can learn more about this engine.

I asked how much they wanted for the ECU, it was $700, I passed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts