The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Now for the real question - is it sacrilege to drive it 2,000 miles home?
I say drive it!!! If you consider this a keeper then I wouldn't worry to much about the mileage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congratulations OP, what a special car!

Now for the real question - is it sacrilege to drive it 2,000 miles home?
Some would say that 2000 highway miles is a waste on these cars, and I mainly agree. But ...
My son and I flew to FLA (from NC) to pickup our Elise, and drove it 668 miles back (which yes, is about 1/3rd of 2000 miles). It was one of the best and most memorable short trips of my long lifetime :). If anything, went by too fast. To me that trip was worth whatever it cost and for us it was a perfect way to "kick off" Elise ownership. YMMV.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Congratulations!!! I just bought an Exige 260 Sport a couple weeks ago. I love the color of your car and to me that is one of the best colors you can get. Mine is in Ardent Red, which is great, but your color is excellent!!!

I flew into LAX last night, had a cancelled flight and didn't get home until almost midnight. I got pulled over by the police about a mile from home, because I had a rear license plate light out in my pickup, and I'm sure they figured I was a drunk driver at that hour.

Anyway, that long story is because at 5 am I woke up and had to go drive the Exige to get my fix before I went into work. I took a spin up Ortega HWY, which is tough that early when every cars headlights coming down the mountain nail you in the eyes. But man I still loved the drive in that little machine.

SO DRIVE IT IF YOU CAN!!!

·
Registered
2009 Lotus Elise SC Type 25 Jim Clark
653 Posts
Watch, soon you're going to look for things and collect things that are Krypton Green, or a shade close to it (golf bags, gym bags, toothbrushes, wallets) so it can remind you of your new toy. When I look around, I've accumulated a frightening amount of random yellow and racing green stuff... welcome to the obsession 😁

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well did you drive it and that is your house? Or is that just a tease of what you will soon be piloting?
Did not drive it to my house yet!
Actually only drove it for 15 glorious minutes.

I will add context to this story and adventure.
About a year ago I planned a trip to a music festival in Ohio.
After planning the trip, I extended it an extra 4 days and planned to fly up and drive back in a company car, touring through a few states.
It happens to be fate that this is in Ohio, I’m driving back and was able to purchase all in the week of this trip.
This adds several complexities. I will now need to fedex my luggage home as it doesn’t fit into the Lotus and the dealer is 2+ hours from my hotel. I also need to return the company car.

I am torn on driving it home. Many reasons and emotions for each option, but I can say I’m upset I’m not currently with it. I didn’t want to let it out of arms reach.

Having not driven an Exige in 3 years, I didn’t know what to expect. It was more than anything I could have wished. So visceral. I smiled and laughed the entire time. Worth all the hard work to make it happen.

Now to decide what to do…

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did not drive it to my house yet!
Actually only drove it for 15 glorious minutes.

I will add context to this story and adventure.
About a year ago I planned a trip to a music festival in Ohio.
After planning the trip, I extended it an extra 4 days and planned to fly up and drive back in a company car, touring through a few states.
It happens to be fate that this is in Ohio, I’m driving back and was able to purchase all in the week of this trip.
This adds several complexities. I will now need to fedex my luggage home as it doesn’t fit into the Lotus and the dealer is 2+ hours from my hotel. I also need to return the company car.

I am torn on driving it home. Many reasons and emotions for each option, but I can say I’m upset I’m not currently with it. I didn’t want to let it out of arms reach.

Having not driven an Exige in 3 years, I didn’t know what to expect. It was more than anything I could have wished. So visceral. I smiled and laughed the entire time. Worth all the hard work to make it happen.

Now to decide what to do…
LOL, I live in California but was in Norwalk, Ohio this past weekend drag racing motorcycles with my dad. Not sure of the distances involved, but if you don't need the luggage right away, I learned that you can use Greyhound terminal to terminal shipping and it is much less expensive, compared to Fed Ex or UPS. Just throw your toiletries in the car and a few needed items and go on home. I would imagine, if you bought it at a dealer, they would offer an employee to drive your rental back, with you tailing them to return the employee? Or you could pay an uber under $200 for that amount of time, I would think?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts