The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Wow Such Admin
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, everyone knows the little light on the rear panel doesn't light up the inside of the car enough at night especially in non lit places. So I saw this thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/interior-lighting-96754/

and I decided to do this seeing how its a cheap and pretty easy helpful mod. I ordered 2 of these:

AM series Miniature Rectangle Accent Light - Black | LED Light Modules | Accent Lighting | Super Bright LEDs

They came in within 3 days of ordering. They are very small but provide TONS of light. Here is where I mounted one of them and you can see how small they are:

No wires or anything are visible without getting up under the dash. I pulled up the driver side sill to get access to the wires for driver door switch and ran the lights off of that circuit so they come on when the door is open. Here is what it looks like on:

·
Anthony
604 Posts
Looks great and a ton of bang for the buck!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Very nice! I think I will get a couple and put in one for each footwell/door switch.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
It's dark in here...

A woman takes a lover home during the day, while her husband is at work. Unbeknownst to her, her 9 year old son was hiding in the closet. Her husband comes home unexpectedly, so she puts the lover in the closet with the little boy.
The little boy says, “Dark in here.”
The man says, “Yes it is.”
Boy- “I have a baseball.”
Man- “That’s nice.”
Boy- “Want to buy it?”
Man- “No, thanks.”
Boy- “My dad’s outside.”
Man- “OK, how much?”
Boy- “$250.”
In the next few weeks, it happens again that the boy and the mom’s lover are in the closet together.
Boy- “Dark in here.”
Man- “Yes, it is.”
Boy- “I have a baseball glove.”
The lover, remembering the last time, asks the boy, “How much?”
Boy- “$750.”
Man- “Fine.”
A few days later, the father says to the boy, “Grab your glove. Let’s go outside and toss the baseball back and forth.”
The boy says, “I can’t. I sold them.”
The father asks, “How much did you sell them for?”
The son says “$1,000.”
The father says, “That’s terrible to overcharge your friends like that. That is way more than those two things cost. I’m going to take you to church and make you confess.”
They go to church and the father makes the little boy sit in the confession booth and he closes the door. The boy says, “Dark in here.” The priest says, “Don’t start that sh*t again.”

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok Drew, what's the secret? I can get the LEDs to turn on only when the door is closed, but not when it is open (like it's supposed to). I tried reversing the wires but that doesn't do anything.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure the rear interior light is set how it should be. Mine stayed on after I installed them and I couldn't figure out why, and it was cause the rear interior light was clicked in the on position.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, that's it! because the new wires are creating a bridge when the connection should be broken by pressing the button in. The only problem is there is no way to attach a wire to the other side of the switch. So where the heck am I supposed to attach the wires? :confused:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know it looks sloppy right now, I'm just trying to get it to work. I was reading the thread you referenced at the top and apparently I need to draw power from a different source.

Attachments

·
Wow Such Admin
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes. There is constant power going to the switch, and the other side is constantly grounded. The switch completes the circuit for the rear light. Hence why your light is on with the door closed, you are tapped into a constant power and ground. I only tapped in the ground wire from the led's into the door switch. I got power from the driving light fuse that isn't used on my car.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts