The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.. because its soo buttery smooth.

my shifter that is..
So I had the LETSLA short shift mechanism and the SSC/S111 shifter cable installed a while ago. At first I wasn't completely pleased with it. 1-4 shifts fine, but on 5th and 6th, it felt really BAD. as in it felt like its caught on something and you have to really force the shifter into the gears.

I later took the center console apart and found the issue: The new shifter cable uses a metal sleeve instead of the black plastic sleeve. Its a closer fit, but also articulates less then the plastic one.. on 5th and 6th it was at the limit of the articulation. I eventually adjusted the crossgate cable to "center" the side motion of the shifter so that the 5th and 6th doesn't bend the sleeve so much.

I drove it awhile in this configuration and it still did not feel not quite right. I still felt some friction in there and some minor squeaks in the sleeve area. I unbolted the shifter cable again and articulated the sleeve by hand and realized that in my car, the mounting position of the heim joint is a little too high. It bends the sleeve up, even in the neutral position. (I did try to adjust it though then entire motion of the shifter.)

This is my fix: not my best piece of engineering or my best machining work (All I had was a bandsaw, polisher wheel, and hand drill) but man it made a huge difference. It moved the mounting point down about a 1/2" so that the cable sleeve is straight when the shifter is in the neutral position.

The shifter feel was one of the huge shortcomings of our cars. For a car with such amazing steering and chassis feedback, the shifter was horrid. Now its just as rewarding to shift... maybe not as snickety snick as the S2000 shifter, but its pretty darn good.

I will drive with it for a while. If all stays good, I'll have a more robust piece made in stainless steel (its in aluminum now)...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, on sector111 site, they mentioned that the stock plastic sleeves are prone to breaking, I wonder if its because they are all angled up like in my car.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm starting to dig the naked center console look. I might just leave it off if I can figure out how/where to mount the switches

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Ok, now that's just crazy talk! Actually though, the design of the center console could probably be improved - it would be interesting to see some options there. I wouldn't like the bare metal hanging around for people to scrape against, or the opportunity for dirt and gunk to foul the joints and such.

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
Can you just make the end piece that connects to the shifter without buying a new cable or would that be too much presure on the stock plastic cable piece? I know it would not be as good but anything is an improvement.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have to clarify that the piece to relocate the shifter cable rod end reduced the friction in MY car with the upgraded shifter cable. I'm not sure relocating the rod end on a stock cable will make as big of a difference. It might make a difference if the stock cable is bent up to the same degree as my car. Either way, it should not add additional stress to the plastic sleeve. If anything, it will alleviate any bending force on it.

For me, the improvement in shifter feel is from the combination of the cable, LETSLA mechanism, cable attach relocation and probably a change of transmission fluid.
The cable and the LETSLA removes slack from the system, cable attach relocation alleviates the bending forces/friction, and change of fluid makes the shifting action smoother inside the transmission..

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
I have to clarify that the piece to relocate the shifter cable rod end reduced the friction in MY car with the upgraded shifter cable. I'm not sure relocating the rod end on a stock cable will make as big of a difference. It might make a difference if the stock cable is bent up to the same degree as my car. Either way, it should not add additional stress to the plastic sleeve. If anything, it will alleviate any bending force on it.

For me, the improvement in shifter feel is from the combination of the cable, LETSLA mechanism, cable attach relocation and probably a change of transmission fluid.
The cable and the LETSLA removes slack from the system, cable attach relocation alleviates the bending forces/friction, and change of fluid makes the shifting action smoother inside the transmission..
Thank you for the info. I will follow that recipe and see what happens.:up:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I missed this post before putting up mine & it looks like a good solution in the makes. So that block of aluminum is the piece you created right?

I posted a very similar topic here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/getting-rid-shifter-slop-does-ssc-cable-work-115908/#post1744759

Going to definitely reference your post in it.

Did you find that replacing the cables was a large improving factor or would you say if you incorporated that aluminum block design on the OEM cables it wouldve been enough to improve the OEM shifter/feeling?

How far out X & Y axis did you extend out from that allen head mounting point on the shifter bracket = 1/2" each? The piece looks like it will pivot/rock back & forth from the shifter bracket - is that intensional in your design or did you want that to be static?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
.. because its soo buttery smooth.

my shifter that is..
So I had the LETSLA short shift mechanism and the SSC/S111 shifter cable installed a while ago. At first I wasn't completely pleased with it. 1-4 shifts fine, but on 5th and 6th, it felt really BAD. as in it felt like its caught on something and you have to really force the shifter into the gears.

I later took the center console apart and found the issue: The new shifter cable uses a metal sleeve instead of the black plastic sleeve. Its a closer fit, but also articulates less then the plastic one.. on 5th and 6th it was at the limit of the articulation. I eventually adjusted the crossgate cable to "center" the side motion of the shifter so that the 5th and 6th doesn't bend the sleeve so much.

I drove it awhile in this configuration and it still did not feel not quite right. I still felt some friction in there and some minor squeaks in the sleeve area. I unbolted the shifter cable again and articulated the sleeve by hand and realized that in my car, the mounting position of the heim joint is a little too high. It bends the sleeve up, even in the neutral position. (I did try to adjust it though then entire motion of the shifter.)

This is my fix: not my best piece of engineering or my best machining work (All I had was a bandsaw, polisher wheel, and hand drill) but man it made a huge difference. It moved the mounting point down about a 1/2" so that the cable sleeve is straight when the shifter is in the neutral position.

The shifter feel was one of the huge shortcomings of our cars. For a car with such amazing steering and chassis feedback, the shifter was horrid. Now its just as rewarding to shift... maybe not as snickety snick as the S2000 shifter, but its pretty darn good.

I will drive with it for a while. If all stays good, I'll have a more robust piece made in stainless steel (its in aluminum now)...
dang - i think you have partially, if not completely solved one of the great mysteries of our time. I'm up for this - BOE installed a shifter reinforcement plate when they did my car in Kansas, I have since added Jim Clayton's big ball - and it's shaping up. Now I want the SSC cable and any tweaking required to bring it into nirvana alignment. Thanks for the insight - what about the SSC Crossgate cable too? - I know that's $800 bucks total just for cables...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
to tell you the truth - i've never seen it - I'm still getting over the fact that I replaced my brake & clutch fluid and my car STILL shifts AND brakes!
i'm sure the part is akin to the s111 reinforcer. I know it's an in-house part BOE whips up when they need one, i don't think they sell it. They did not charge me for the part, or the installation of the part. That said - the shifter feels more securely mounted to the car, I'll pop the center console soon and see if it's apparent, and take some pics. I really want to improve the shifter now that the rest of the car is so....evolved. I think the SSC is the next step with Batman's alignment block fabbed/installed as nessescary. Maybe the Letsla too, but i think i'd try it stock first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks like IamBatman is using the LETSLA in combination with his "alignment block."

Perhaps the alignment block wouldn't be necessary with the OEM shifter combined with one or both SSC cables (as well as the reinforcing mods).

I've got a feeling we'll probably never get the feel and precision of a S2000 or Miata gearbox, but in my '09 Elise's case, there's a lot of room for improvement.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
yup - i miss my miata's shifter. I won't get that because our cable shifters will never be able to duplicate the precision of a shifter that is connected directly to the tranny. But if i can get my car's shift-feel to Batman's level - i'll probably be content. Lesla is definitely in the picture now that i think about it. Thinking about going crazy and doing both cables...yikes.. that ain't cheap. Pardon my ignorance - but what does IamBatman sell for our cars? He's listed as a site sponsor.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I missed this post before putting up mine & it looks like a good solution in the makes. So that block of aluminum is the piece you created right?
yes. its a pretty crudely made but its working well so far.

I posted a very similar topic here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/getting-rid-shifter-slop-does-ssc-cable-work-115908/#post1744759

Going to definitely reference your post in it.

Did you find that replacing the cables was a large improving factor or would you say if you incorporated that aluminum block design on the OEM cables it wouldve been enough to improve the OEM shifter/feeling?
I think the OEM cable has so much slop, that people might not feel much of the friction caused by the excessive angular mis-aligment that is fixed by the AL block. The friction is caused by excessive angle of the cable in the steel sleeve. My speculation is that the excessive angle might be the cause of the stories of the OEM plastic sleeve breaking. Its all speculation of course, I did the block after the shifter+ cable install...

How far out X & Y axis did you extend out from that allen head mounting point on the shifter bracket = 1/2" each? The piece looks like it will pivot/rock back & forth from the shifter bracket - is that intensional in your design or did you want that to be static?
The key is to move the mounting position down.. so I guess in the Z position.
(The forward (X) and side to side (Y) can be adjusted by turning the threads on the cables.) I think I moved the Z position down by about 1/2".

The goal is to have the cable be pointed straight out when the shifter is in the neutral position.

The block is static. yes there is only one bolt going though there, but its geometry and friction locks it into place once the bolt is tightened. I normally would put a second fastener it there but the space is pretty limited in that area.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
dang - i think you have partially, if not completely solved one of the great mysteries of our time. I'm up for this - BOE installed a shifter reinforcement plate when they did my car in Kansas, I have since added Jim Clayton's big ball - and it's shaping up. Now I want the SSC cable and any tweaking required to bring it into nirvana alignment. Thanks for the insight - what about the SSC Crossgate cable too? - I know that's $800 bucks total just for cables...
Crossgate cable wasn't available at the time I did mine. I didnt' feel the OEM crossgate had a whole lot of slop. Actually feeling my shifter now, the small amount of slop left is about equal for both shifter cable and crossgate..

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pardon my ignorance - but what does IamBatman sell for our cars? He's listed as a site sponsor.
I don't sell anything. LOL. its a cheap MS Paint avatar job.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like IamBatman is using the LETSLA in combination with his "alignment block."

Perhaps the alignment block wouldn't be necessary with the OEM shifter combined with one or both SSC cables (as well as the reinforcing mods).

I've got a feeling we'll probably never get the feel and precision of a S2000 or Miata gearbox, but in my '09 Elise's case, there's a lot of room for improvement.
Just to reiterate, I have re-inforcer/stan's mod, SSC shifter cable, and LESLA.
Withought the SSC cable, you probably won't need the block because the OEM has more "slop". With the SSC shifter cable, you need to pay attention to how much the end of the cable pivot. Mine pivots too much "up", causing friction in the sleeve, so I had to make a block to bring the mounting point down to the neutral position.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
there ya' go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts