The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Roberto Giannini
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another wheel thread LOL

So I was able to purchase an Elise wheel with airbag from a member on this Forum (thank you :clap:) now the trick is I need an adapter for the Esprit to fit the Elise wheel. Also installation DIY advise or manual would be super.

Any help or guidance appreciated :)

·
Cal H
982 Posts
I'm fairly certain you modify something like a Grant 4509 wheel boss kit. The splines will fit and you have to have a fair to average mechanical skill with a drill press and perhaps a grinder to shave off the fitting a tad to help mate with the clock spring and turn signal cancellation of the steering column from what others have talked about. You also have to identify and source the squib connector for the explosive charge of the air bag. I think there is less than 1/2 dozen connector types used by the air bag people and more than likely one of 3 that are most commonly used. I'm just not sure of the type of connector used in the Elise wheel as I have never seen one off an Elise. There are people here that know but it might be in poor form to ask them where they source parts because for their research and fabrication efforts they make a little bit of revenue for their troubles which is an alright thing to do. It helps defray their car hobby.

Only reason I know the above is that I was ready to modify the GRA4509 wheel boss but a bunch of parts and several Raid/Atiwe steering wheels fell into my hands so I did not have to do anything except install the new air bag wheel.

We will help you with instructions on how to install the wheel. Jim Knowles is the guy that knows and was the 1st to install non GM air bag wheels with his kit. Duneomatic probably just modified those instructions to use the Elise wheel with wheel boss kit that he made so I am fairly certain both are very similar in the way they are installed and a novice can install both kits.

I guess the choice is yours either wait for Duneomatic or attempt to make/adapt an existing wheel boss to mate up with the Elise wheel.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Wow the Raid wheel boss adapter that was on ebay forever is gone. Wonder if it sold or the listing ended? The seller wanted like $300 for the adapter and $600 for the wheel. A whole lot more than brand new from JK. Wheel is still for sale @ $600. Wonder who is going to buy that one then you can get new ones for less.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have plenty of Raid wheel adapters but I don't think it will work with the Elise wheel. At the very least you'd have to drill/tap new mounting holes for the wheel. If I'm not mistaken, I think Bob's Elise adapter was a little larger diameter than the Raid one which is 4 1/2".

Cheers,
Jim

·
Roberto Giannini
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fairly certain you modify something like a Grant 4509 wheel boss kit. The splines will fit and you have to have a fair to average mechanical skill with a drill press and perhaps a grinder to shave off the fitting a tad to help mate with the clock spring and turn signal cancellation of the steering column from what others have talked about. You also have to identify and source the squib connector for the explosive charge of the air bag. I think there is less than 1/2 dozen connector types used by the air bag people and more than likely one of 3 that are most commonly used. I'm just not sure of the type of connector used in the Elise wheel as I have never seen one off an Elise. There are people here that know but it might be in poor form to ask them where they source parts because for their research and fabrication efforts they make a little bit of revenue for their troubles which is an alright thing to do. It helps defray their car hobby.

Only reason I know the above is that I was ready to modify the GRA4509 wheel boss but a bunch of parts and several Raid/Atiwe steering wheels fell into my hands so I did not have to do anything except install the new air bag wheel.

We will help you with instructions on how to install the wheel. Jim Knowles is the guy that knows and was the 1st to install non GM air bag wheels with his kit. Duneomatic probably just modified those instructions to use the Elise wheel with wheel boss kit that he made so I am fairly certain both are very similar in the way they are installed and a novice can install both kits.

I guess the choice is yours either wait for Duneomatic or attempt to make/adapt an existing wheel boss to mate up with the Elise wheel.
I sent Duneomatic a PM, looks like he will be making more adapters shortly by May for the Elise wheel, I can wait till May.

Thanks everyone for your input much appreciated :clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts