The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just joined, this is my first post. I went out and test drove an Elise SC yesterday. What a great car to drive. I am very seriously considering buying a Lotus.

Is there any good places to look for used ones? I am in Houston, TX. I am considering a new 2007 Orange Elise (some options, but pretty basic with the roof).

I am looking to spend about 40-45K

Are there any significant differences between the model years?

The big intensive for going new from a dealer is the loan interest rate and the warranty. Other then that I would be happy with a used one.

Ben.

·
Registered
821 Posts
read the Uberpost a few times. Its possibly the best thread of all time, on any forum I've ever been on.

Used can be had, especially in a large market like Houston. just takes a little searching. However the SC cars are much more limited in avail. due to reason above. (started in 08).

oh, and welcome to the insanity. You have a good name. (I'm Ben as well:D).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
you might be able to find a low mileage 07 exige S in your price range as new ones sold for a hair over that not too long ago

·
Registered
963 Posts
Demonized has a good point. A used 05-06 can run you from $25K to ~$35K (I can say this from my unnecessary eBay and Autotrader searching for no real reason :D) and then TurboPhil makes a TVS Supercharger for $6500. That's got more power than you'd get in a regular SC and it's still cheaper than the max you'd want to pay.

·
Registered
821 Posts
He seems interested in a warranty...so might not be option for him....:shrug:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hmm...that gets rid of any S111 engine products then, and the TurboPhil SC.

Isn't there a stock supercharger you could buy that wouldn't break the warranty?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for your feedback.

I am not looking for a blazing fast car. Rather a nimble car. I would be satisfied with a base Elise. That being said, I would not complain about more HP. I had a modded VW GTI. I am not interested in modifying the Lotus.

As far as pure styling goes, I like the look of the Exige better.

One concern about a used car is how it was treated. Obviously, these cars are made to be driven hard. When I test drove the Elise, it really wanted to be driven hard.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
He seems interested in a warranty...so might not be option for him....:shrug:
Then he should get the Lotus supercharger installed.. It's about the same price as the aftermarket stuff, is CARB legal, and comes with warranty.

Of course, an '05 no longer has a warranty, but the Lotus SC is probably the the safest way to go.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Thanks all for your feedback.

I am not looking for a blazing fast car. Rather a nimble car. I would be satisfied with a base Elise. That being said, I would not complain about more HP. I had a modded VW GTI. I am not interested in modifying the Lotus.

As far as pure styling goes, I like the look of the Exige better.

One concern about a used car is how it was treated. Obviously, these cars are made to be driven hard. When I test drove the Elise, it really wanted to be driven hard.
The "base" Elise will knock your socks off.

It will kill a GTI.

Make sure it wasn't tracked, have a Lotus mechnic look at it...and BUY it. :D

Don't think twice.

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
rotfl Tweedle Dee, rotfl that's good.

It's okay, as long as you don't genuinely hate me, then I have an issue I need to deal with.

Ben - According to the 5 minutes of research around the Houston area, most Lotus Exiges are going to be slightly more than 45K. Yahoo Autos (Classifieds) gives me figures of 50-65K, but if you like an Exige, best of luck finding one in your budget.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. I have purposely stayed away from these cars so that I wouldn't be all crazy about wanting one (Hence the "Bad Bad Thing"). I have been really looking at the cars and thinking about what appeals to me. I can say that I like the look of the Exige better because it look "cool". On the other hand, the Elise looks very elegant. I know this car is a looker, but I am buying this car for me to drive and not to be seen in.

On another note, I found this on eBay: 2006 Exige

Anyone know this car or can give me some feedback on price

·
Registered
478 Posts
I met with Ben yesterday to talk cars - standup guy! You'll be right at home here on the forums, Ben! Enough info here to keep you reading for about 2.1 thousand years. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the props Kevin. You car is high on my list of possibilities.

By the way, if anyone is interested, Kevin's car is immaculate. I am a bit concerned about buying a used Lotus, but I would not hesitate to buy his.

I met with Ben yesterday to talk cars - standup guy! You'll be right at home here on the forums, Ben! Enough info here to keep you reading for about 2.1 thousand years. :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the plug Ben :D

I'm sure once I actually get around to taking pics and listing my car for real it'll move pretty fast, so I'm not worried either way - aside from new, I don't think there are many cars in cleaner/better shape - it's pretty sad to think how little it's been used!

I'm sure you'll find one that's right for you - but just make sure if you want an exige, you don't "settle" on an elise just to save money. The car should speak to you!!

In my case I lucked out and liked the lines (and weight) of the cheaper car better :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts