The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used Exige S240... A/C was as expected, just like my brand new Elise was... worked fine for a 30mins and then slowly started to warm up.

Decided to do the A/C myself. Borrowed a machine and did a 50 minute vacuum to make sure the system was leak free, and I put in exactly 1.25Lbs of R134.

We drove the car all day Sunday... went to Sunset GT Cars and Coffee... drove all around Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, and the A/C was amazing! I actually had to set the temp to about 10 O'clock so we weren't freezing.

Do these cars come under filled? When I did the recovery, it only recovered .25lbs, and there were no leaks in the system. I'm sure some has leaked out in the 11 years this car has been alive... but as I said, the system had no leaks.

Reactions: jlj3394

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
Normal! Most of car over 10 yrs old recovered very little.
1.25lb is perfect and not overcharged. Overcharged/undercharged would be warm. Perfect weight would gives the coldest temp for the whole evaporator and decharge/low-side hose all the way to compressor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just picked up a used Exige S240... A/C was as expected, just like my brand new Elise was... worked fine for a 30mins and then slowly started to warm up.

Decided to do the A/C myself. Borrowed a machine and did a 50 minute vacuum to make sure the system was leak free, and I put in exactly 1.25Lbs of R134.

We drove the car all day Sunday... went to Sunset GT Cars and Coffee... drove all around Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, and the A/C was amazing! I actually had to set the temp to about 10 O'clock so we weren't freezing.

Do these cars come under filled? When I did the recovery, it only recovered .25lbs, and there were no leaks in the system. I'm sure some has leaked out in the 11 years this car has been alive... but as I said, the system had no leaks.
Nice! I need to do this. Mine blows cold but not ice cold. Did you run into Shmee or Sam?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normal! Most of car over 10 yrs old recovered very little.
1.25lb is perfect and not overcharged. Overcharged/undercharged would be warm. Perfect weight would gives the coldest temp for the whole evaporator and decharge/low-side hose all the way to compressor.
Thanks, Harry! :smile2:

Reactions: Harix

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Every piece of rubber slowly leaches a little refrigerant.

Some cars are worse than others.

My 07 Nissan has needed nothing the last 12 years

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! I need to do this. Mine blows cold but not ice cold. Did you run into Shmee or Sam?
We were there for about 2 hours... and we only saw their cars. Kind of regret going... should have gone to the Galpin Lotus meet instead.

Reactions: Crazy05

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks, Harry! :smile2:
For us noobs that want to tackle this ourselves what are some basic steps? Can I just go to autozone and pick up one of those do-it-yourself AC charging containers? Is there a guide I can refer to?

·
Registered
341 Posts
We were there for about 2 hours... and we only saw their cars. Kind of regret going... should have gone to the Galpin Lotus meet instead.
Yeah, it looked like chaos, soo many people Shmee could barely squeeze through the car show -eek-

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
For us noobs that want to tackle this ourselves what are some basic steps? Can I just go to autozone and pick up one of those do-it-yourself AC charging containers? Is there a guide I can refer to?
Basic evacuate and recharge procedure without automatic machine:
1. Take your car to any autoshop that do AC, you need to recover that old R-134 freon. Normally would be $30 to free.
2. Once it's empty, you can borrow ac gauge and vacuum pump from O'Reilly, hook up the low and high side into the car and vacuum pump into the gauge and start vacuum. 15-30 minutes should be adequate depends on the vacuum pump strength.
3. Once it's done, needle should be at 30 in-hg or close to that, leave it for about 15-20 mins to check if there's leak. If no leak, the needle shouldn't move at all.
4. Remove the vacuum pump from the hose gauge, put your freon bottle into the hose and prime it. Don't need to prime the hose from gauge to the car because it's under vacuum.
5 Fill min 1.25lb to 1.35 max and disconnect the hoses from the car.

I suggest buy only DuPont R-134a or Johnsen's. Don't buy anything other than that.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it looked like chaos, soo many people Shmee could barely squeeze through the car show -eek-
yep, and scraped my new carbon splitter because anyone that was not a Youtube star was sent down the hill LOL.

Reactions: Crazy05

·
Registered
341 Posts
Basic evacuate and recharge procedure without automatic machine:
1. Take your car to any autoshop that do AC, you need to recover that old R-134 freon. Normally would be $30 to free.
2. Once it's empty, you can borrow ac gauge and vacuum pump from O'Reilly, hook up the low and high side into the car and vacuum pump into the gauge and start vacuum. 15-30 minutes should be adequate depends on the vacuum pump strength.
3. Once it's done, needle should be at 30 in-hg or close to that, leave it for about 15-20 mins to check if there's leak. If no leak, the needle shouldn't move at all.
4. Remove the vacuum pump from the hose gauge, put your freon bottle into the hose and prime it. Don't need to prime the hose from gauge to the car because it's under vacuum.
5 Fill min 1.25lb to 1.35 max and disconnect the hoses from the car.

I suggest buy only DuPont R-134a or Johnsen's. Don't buy anything other than that.
Thanks Harry for taking the time to write this step by step! :bow:

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Harix rocks!

Harix is my favorite mechanic.

He is so thorough!

He has done work on both of my cars. His alignments are perfection!

We are so lucky to have him here in So. Cal.

Thanks, buddy!

Tim

·
Registered
332 Posts
@ mattjk, what brand refrigerant (R-134a) did you use. Having a hard time finding DuPont or Johnson (per Harry’s recommendation) by this Friday.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts