The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find this remark absolutely incredible.

Today, both the red adhesive that bonds the aluminum chassis bits together and the black adhesive that bonds the fiberglass panels to the chassis are produced by Dow Automotive. The naked chassis weighs roughly 155 pounds and there have been no recorded failures to date

(from the autoweek review)

None. 0. Nada. Think about the stress this car has been put through on the track, on the street and in general hooliganism. I guarantee you there have been major bad things that have happened to many cars with bad welds, broken or loosened bolts etc.

I can't wait to get this car.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The book "Lotus Elise the Complete Story" goes in to detail on the bonding used for the chassis. It turns out that the bonding would not be great in an impact, so large headed fasteners are used to keep the sturcture together in the event of a crash. Together, the glue and rivits, form a very light rigid sturcture and turns out to be quite good in impacts according to the book.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The three books out on the elise are must haves for anyone seriously considering these cars. Not only info about Lotus heritage but lots of info on the design teams, R&D etc.

Sticky on the board somewhere up top lists the books with links to amazon.
Chris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I second what Chris says, I bought all three books, they are fun to read and really give a lot of insight to the car and it's development and construction.
The three books are must reads!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts