The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..but it pisses me off when people can't make the effort to spell y-o-u. How hard is this? Did a whole bunch of people become Prince wanna-bes? Are they all wearing tights and poofy shirts with the buttons open?

Is it me?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
u r rite

a/s/l?

kthxbye

Welcome to the new world. I dislike printed communication that requires more work on my part to decode. I admittedly suck at spelling and grammar (this is my second language), but I try to use capital letters and punctuation to make it easier to read.

Another pet peeve. No white space. It is very hard to read a lot of text without white space. It all runs together. Your mind does not get a chance to take a breath and provide some separation.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree. I hate to say it, but if one is going to use acronyms and other short words, they should provide an appendix with the full spelling, like a techincal document.

Oh, yeah, and speaking of which, if it is possible, it would be nice if people, like me, could figure out how to say what they wanted to say without having to use some sort of run-on sentence like a bafoon who doesn't know how to separate one thought from the next thought without another deep thought to convert it. Ok, if that didn't make sense, then it proved my point. :)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
usofrob said:

Oh, yeah, and speaking of which, if it is possible, it would be nice if people, like me, could figure out how to say what they wanted to say without having to use some sort of run-on sentence like a bafoon who doesn't know how to separate one thought from the next thought without another deep thought to convert it. Ok, if that didn't make sense, then it proved my point. :)
What if that made sense? :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
babak said:
Speaking of decoding?
Randy Chase said:

a/s/l?

kthxbye

Common IMspeak (Instant Messenger/Chat).

A/S/L = Age Sex Location.

kthxbye = Okay, Thanks. Goodbye.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Maybe I'm being unfair, but I make a judgement on a person's intelligence based on how they write. Spelling and grammar errors are normal (heck, I'm an engineer, no one knows this more than I ;), especially for those for whom English is a second language. The sort of writing style where the writer substitutes 'u' for 'you' comes across as unintelligent and/or lazy, as least to me. I don't mean offense to anyone, just providing a perspective on how that writing appears to some people. I know that kind of writing is becoming more and more popular, so maybe this is just a sign that I'm getting old and out of touch. ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
MattG said:
Maybe I'm being unfair, but I make a judgement on a person's intelligence based on how they write. Spelling and grammar errors are normal (heck, I'm an engineer, no one knows this more than I ;), especially for those for whom English is a second language. The sort of writing style where the writer substitutes 'u' for 'you' comes across as unintelligent and/or lazy, as least to me. I don't mean offense to anyone, just providing a perspective on how that writing appears to some people. I know that kind of writing is becoming more and more popular, so maybe this is just a sign that I'm getting old and out of touch. ;)
Don't worry, I do the same thing. Maybe it's an engineer thing.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MattG said:
(heck, I'm an engineer, no one knows this more than I
Useta was I coundnt spel ingineer - now I are one.

Me too. I'm an engineer with terrible spelling (I run everything through the spell checker). It bothers me that people can't spell things out, and at least try to spell things properly (although we all make some mistakes).

Don't even get me started on there/their/they're or hear/here or ...:no:

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I think you people are on the wrong track with this. Many people use this internet short hand to expedite and consolidate there posts. Its often used as another form of short hand. One can still have properly spelling and grammer and yet be very light in content value. I think the assumption of an unintelligent poster by use of short hand is a little naive. Stenographers must be pretty dumb to :D

PS: If things like this start to bother you, then its true what they say about getting older...:Oh and I'm sure the music is to loud to lol :p

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
I think you people are on the wrong track with this. Many people use this internet short hand to expedite and consolidate there posts. Its often used as another form of short hand. One can still have properly spelling and grammer and yet be very light in content value. I think the assumption of an unintelligent poster by use of short hand is a little naive. Stenographers must be pretty dumb to :D

PS: If things like this start to bother you, then its true what they say about getting older...:Oh and I'm sure the music is to loud to lol :p
Are you intentionally trying to pull Tim's chain? :D :D :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
I do get a little annoyed by really bad spelling (not the occasional mistake since we don't have spell checking built in) and the giant run on paragraphs that I can't read.

But what really annoys me is misspelling car names. And the one that really gets me is "MacLaren". This is the greatest sports car ever built (in my opinion) and we should all know it is a McLaren F1.

If you are going to be a car person you need to be able to pronounce Porsche and spell McLaren and Alfa Romeo!

It's not like I expect people to be able to spell Isotta-Fraschini

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I dont see it as a sign of ignorance if someone cannot spell on a chat board. It's an informal setting. Sometimes its good to get your point across quickly and easily.

I do get annoyed, however, to see press-releases, advertisements, letters, important docs, etc, with misspelled words or poor grammar. There should be an editing process within formal documents. However, I often see big errors in these sorts of documents. Kinda aggravates me! Shows a lack of care and quality in what is just as much a product of the company as the product they are trying to advertise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts