The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah so, I'm basically totally and utterly obsessed with Elises and Exiges, but I've never been that impressed by the Evora. I just find it, somewhat uninteresting for the price. I guess it may be because I haven't looked into it that much. And for the price of what Evora's run, I just feel their are better options, (Other then Elises/Exiges). Plus with many of the new cars (and old cars they're bringing back) over the next few years, I just couldn't justify buying the Evora or Evora S, if I had the money. I would love for someone to change my mind though, please tell me your experience with the Evora and why you love it. I want to love it, because I'm a huge lotus fan.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm not going to change your mind. I've gone from 111R to Evora & it suits what I want from a car better. It's certainly not as visceral, but I was seeking that.

Australia is a big place & I want to continue to explore it without any crippling side-effects ;-)

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Driven one?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
you can get two more sweet used Eliges for that money...

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I was in the market for an Elige for a while... I found the Evora and never turned back for my daily driver. If I planned on driving the Murano or Accord daily I would have gone Elige but I got a great deal a year ago on an Evora and never looked back.

I absolutely love this vehicle.

Go drive it - see if you like it that way. Or better yet - find someone who has one and let them go throw you around a bit BEFORE you drive one and see if you like it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wel, I'm not a lifelong car enthusiast; the Evora is the first real sportscar I've owned. (I've driven others), so my experience may be limited and I've no intention to track it -- I use it pretty much for DD.

That said, I'm pretty sure I love it - more than one would normally "love" a new car.

It looks great, of course, and garners the attention that Leos like me love.

The interior is remarkably comfortable; my wife and 5 year old son both prefer the Evora for family outings, as no comfort is sacrificed for the heightened joy. (Other car is a Honda Fit)

The backseat and boot provide enough space for musical equipment (I use a movers quilt to protect the leather) so I can even use it for gigs.

But here's the kicker. The Evora simply moves effortlessly. Sure - you hear the engine growl - and the transmission is noisy, but - where other cars might "power" out of corner, or muscle past a truck, the Evora just seems to powerfully glide. It slides past cars on the highway, and slips around slow movers on streets. It yields to road bumps yet somehow magically resists tilting on hard corners.

I bought mine rather impetuously. The transmission on my Acura TLS started to slip, and it was only a few months out of warranty. The dealer doing the service happened to also sell Lotus. I went there several times trying to negotiate the repair on the Acura, and the Lotuses kept beckoning. I had never even seen an Evora before.

She seduced me. I don't even remember how it all went down, but - the TLS stayed there, and I took the Evora home.

Yeah. It's love.

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
Let me introduce the Lotus Evora GTE...

boom, mind changed... rotfl rotfl

·
Registered
51 Posts
Apples and oranges. The Evora is more refined (to a point) and is really a comfortable vehicle to operate which is more than can be said for an Elise or Exige. That said, anyone who would suggest that the Evora isn't a blast to drive hasn't driven one.
With respect to exclusivity and curb appeal, the Evora gets high marks. I've owned many Italian and German vehicles from various makers and the Evora impresses me more than any of them. I love it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think Evora is less excitement but more for comfort, yet sporty and not boring (i.e. Corvette) oriented car. If I had the cash, I wouldn't mind owning one for DD and have a passenger in. Elise/Exige on the other hand, it can get less comfy (I say less because I'm used to this sort of thing... and I personally don't mind).... and the only times I worry about comfort is when I have a passenger. Kind of hard to talk to them without raising my voice.

I really hate the rear look though... and for the price I would probably get something else (like a GTR). However, you don't see many of them and that makes it special in my opinion.

When I take my car to the dealership for some warranty work, I'll see if I can test drive one.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Twice I've gone to drive an Evora while having my Elise serviced. The first time was at Criswell when I was told they were dropping Lotus. So I didn't even bother driving it. The second time was at the new dealer in MD. It was right after I read about all the corporate upheaval in Lotus and about all the uncertainty about the future of the company. And I decided that I wasn't going to fall in love with a car that might half in value if the company goes out of business. So, once again, I decided not to even take a test drive. I chatted the the sales guy there and he said that he had heard that story so many times it made him ill. People seriously interested in the car but unwilling to take the financial risk.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
the only times I worry about comfort [in the Elise]is when I have a passenger. Kind of hard to talk to them without raising my voice.
Hmm. I don't have that problem. Hardtop?

The Stag, on the other hand, features conversation-killing wind noise with the soft top up or down. Italian style, not aerodynamics, was the design goal here.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have Elise street car, Elise race car but Evora, sorry, I have a Z06 instead. I just like power too much and the Z is far more practical for a DD

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you don't like a car, I think its a bit odd to 'convince [you] to buy it'. Chances are you'll get excited, purchase... then 2 months later realize you didn't like it. Purchasing a car with that kind of money needs to be made with your heart, not your head. Something that you'll open the garage door, look at, and smile.

That's my opinion, anyways.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I won't try to convince you, but I'll tell you my story, which might help.

I had a couple of back injuries that made it impossible to get into even a Ford Fusion. I had to ride in our Ford Explorer. Things got very slowly better, but I started thinking that my Elise was probably the worst car I could possibly have with my back injury. My son and I went out looking at used Aston Martin Vantage V8's one Saturday. I liked them but the ones we saw were at best sketchy and at worst, salvage destined. We decided to check out the Lotus/Aston Martin dealer and see what they might have for a well kept Vantage. While looking, we quickly discovered that......well.....they're expensive. But they had 2 leftover 2011 Evoras that we could get at invoice. That's barely more than my Elise MSRP'd for and less than a new Exige. We arranged to come back the next Saturday.

So the following Saturday, we piled the entire family into the Explorer and headed to the dealer. First, I drove the Evora on about a 20 minute route with my 11 year old in the back seat and the dealer in the front to give me the route and answer my questions. Next, went with the wife and 11 year old again. Lastly with my 15 year old son and the 11 year old.

Impressions driving: Lots of really good features. Drove very well and was responsive but obviously heavier than an Exige based car. Did not feel overly big. Fit and finish was superb. Backup camera, nav, AC that worked, nice, nice seats. Power on par for the car vs its size (I think power to weight is less than the Elise, but not by much).

I then went home and drove the Elise a lot over the weekend and into the next week. They are really different cars and the fun factor vs Luxury/nice factor difference is striking. The Evora would fit with a Vantage for materials and feel. The Elise fits with a Rotax powered Kart. Both garner attention from every group of boys you pass and from girls in cars and both find someone in the back of an SUV video'ing you. The Elise is just clearly more fun. For me, the car is a 3rd Fun car. My back continues to improve and my technique of getting in/out of the car has also been improving. Since this car is not a daily driver, I decided that the more fun car wins and that's the Elise hands down. If I were to pick an everyday driver, I would pick the Evora. I felt the Evora drove like an a small version of an Audi S4 or Porsche 911S4 (both of which I've driven).

Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Not sure how many times people have forwarded us various pictures of our car they had found on Facebook. Just can't appear in public without pictures being made.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts