The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering buying an Elise in the next 6-12 months and have been trolling this site in and off for a while.

I have owned a number of convertibles/sporty cars (MR2 Spyder, BMW 335i convert, Eclipse convert, and others), but had to get rid of them due to a lack of convenient space for car seats, etc. Now that my kids are older and I'm not lugging them around everyday I will actually drive back and forth from work unaccompanied — it's time to get myself something fun to drive! I'll still be keeping my Ford Flex (with EcoBoost!!!); so this is will be an additional vehicle, but my daily driver and a bit of a hobby.

My favorite car I've owned is the MR2 Spyder. I had a bright yellow one. My father still has his (we bought them together, kind if a bonding thing) and I still take his out from time-to-time to get my fix. I have driven a couple of Elise and found them comparable in comfort, a bit louder, a tad faster (the one SC I drove was way faster) and with better handling. They also are attention getting which I like (I am not a shy person)

I hope to find a factory super charged one, but that's not a deal killer. I am also very capable of turning a wrench which appears to be a necessity for this car due to the limited number of garages and cost.

The only thing I will need to change is the head unit and speakers. I definitely like my tunes but I don't own any CDs so I like to stream over Bluetooth to my radio from my iPod and for the occasional phone call (BTW, I know it's hard to talk on the phone in this car, but I've heard it's not impossible, and I need hands free in my state).

There is a lot of info on this forum. Thank you for sharing. I'll continue researching and hopefully become an owner of one of these beautiful cars in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

The MR2 has always looked like fun to me ... if for some reason I had to get rid of the Lotus, I would probably consider it.

Quite a few might agree that the aftermarket superchargers are the best option AND are more cost effective ... fwiw.

Enjoy the forum and the dreaming - and when you make it happen, we want to see pics!

Again, welcome! :)

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Welcome. I was told do NOT drive a supercharged Elise. Of course this was after I drove one. And every Elise I have been in has been supercharged. The reason is that once you drive one that is supercharged, you will not enjoy one that is not. I have never been in a non-supercharged Elise so I can not compare, but I keep hearing that recommendation over and over.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Welcome. And actually you haven't been a "troll", you've been more of a "creeper", like most of us before we posted here.

Good luck with your Lotus quest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome.

I was looking for the factory SC due to the tough emission standards in Massachusetts.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Welcome aboard. I live in Ma. as well and I think you'd be fine with an aftermarket SC. I had a heavily modified, aftermarket SC miata and never had an emission issue.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Welcome aboard - I'll address the hand-free question. I use a set of in-ear noise isolating headphones. Best car stereo I've ever had as it's my Nexus so it has access to a huge amount of music (NPR, Pandora, etc). While they are noise isolating and I can't hear anything (I can still hear sirens) when I drive on the street I'm very attentive (when wearing them). Sounds far superior to virtually any car stereo I've ever had. But I digress...

As for phone calls - yes, with good headphones (like described) you'll hear the caller just great (so if you were on a conference call and muted you'd be golden). It's them hearing you that's the problem. At cruising speeds it can get rather loud (my interior carpets are all gone so my car is even louder). If it's a friend he'll get the point of the call and let you go, same for a close business associate. Would I take a serious/important call in the Lotus - not a chance.

So in short, like all things Lotus, sorta :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts