The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny story...

Purchased the car about 3 weeks ago and wasn't sure if the exhaust was stock or not. I've only heard Lotus cars with modified exhausts so I had no benchmark. Anyhow, after a 10 hour drive home my ears were literally bleeding. Fast forward a few weeks, turns out the previous owner(s) put on a Stage II exhaust.

This thing is freaking loud and drones! Sounds great especially the pops!

·
Registered
297 Posts
How were you sure? I've been wondering the same thing about my Exige... I've never heard a stock one :/

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Yep, the Stage II is a drone monster. Even worse with a hard top on. There are plenty of exhausts that sound as good but don't drone.

How were you sure? I've been wondering the same thing about my Exige... I've never heard a stock one :/

Post pics or come to a drive and we can sort out what you have.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Actor 111 has exhausts that are as quite as stock made of stainless for the same price as stock from a dealer. Plus some are super charged ready. I love mine.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Depends on which stage 2. The single tip one that is for the Exige (of course some here refer to it as the stage 3) doesn't drone at all on my car. It actually got rid of the drone I had with the stock one. Who the heck is "Actor 111" anyway? :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't get me wrong guys I love the sound. When the second cam kicks in the exhaust sounds the best. Tunnel runs are way too fun. Plus, the pops at high RPM shifts are lovely.

I drove the car for 10hrs when purchased it and by the time I got home I couldn't hear well for a good day. Constant ringing in my ears. Definitely not made for long trips.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nydus,

Few ways to tell:

1. Loud sound and a lot of highway drone

2. Exhaust tips point down and are much bigger

3. You actually have to cut out a piece of the diffuser so the tips can fit. Check to see if your diffuser was cut out

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i've never heard of anyone selling or offering an exhaust which is as quite as stock...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Funny story...

Purchased the car about 3 weeks ago and wasn't sure if the exhaust was stock or not. I've only heard Lotus cars with modified exhausts so I had no benchmark. Anyhow, after a 10 hour drive home my ears were literally bleeding. Fast forward a few weeks, turns out the previous owner(s) put on a Stage II exhaust.

This thing is freaking loud and drones! Sounds great especially the pops!
LOtus,
I bought my 06 Elise with the Sport and Touring package. The exhaust was a stage II and it droned like no other I've heard. The tips are dual tips that exit below the diffuser but more flush (called formula1 style exit??). I bought a used Exige S exhaust with the oval tip. There is no drone on fwy; just wind noise and tire noise. I could actually my radio and passengers! Yay! The Exige S exhaust has a refined low burbke and drone...characteristics of bmw. However there are no pops on shifting or engine braking and the exhaust is noticeably heavier than Stage II. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
FWIW...you definitely don't have to cut the diffuser to get a stage 2 to fit..just adjust the exhaust angle (loosen clamp on test pipe, twist)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a stage two on my Elise and it drones on the highway. But I have been wondering how much drone is the exhaust and how much is the airbox? It seems to me it is my left ear getting it the worst and the intake snorkle is right there... Anyone else have an opinion?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
550 Posts
I had the same experience and outcome as the OP. However I have a modified MRS so I was very prepared for the volume level (but wondering why people chose to make it louder!) and had actually brought a pair of earplugs for picking up the car. So the OP and I agree, the stage 2 rocks, esp the pops while changing gears! Wear earplugs for drives longer than 20 minutes. What I prefer is earbud headphones connected to my smartphone's music.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts