The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went and test drove a miata tonight with my wife. I have been very worried about not being able to buy the Elise because I am 6'5". Please give me feedback.

Everything was great with the test drive except that my outside knee (left in the US) kept getting stuck between the steering wheel and the door handle. My right leg was fine. On the left leg, I could easily get a smaller steering wheel or have someone relocate the power lock button and remove the door handle. Only problem is, I don't want a miata.

My question is, do any of you know how tight the space is in this area on the Elise?

Just for comparison sake, I went next door and sat in an s2000. In that car, my left knee not only had the same problem, but my right knee also got stuck between the wheel and the center console. It already has a small steering wheel.

I WANT AN ELISE!!!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hmmm... I'm not quite as tall as you, but I'm long legged. I also have problems with the door handle on miatas. I have a 93, and I removed the driver's door handle. Now I have plenty of room.

S2000 was a squeeze for me, had to reposition my hands on the wheel as I went through turns, or they'd bump my knees.

The Elise gave me plenty of room, except my right knee was up against the shift knob in first gear. Touching... not obstructing. The wheel was clear, and I had enough room to move my legs to operate the pedals without interfering with the wheel.

I doubt you'll have a problem with your left knee in the elise, as the door panel is pretty flat. The handle is molded in to the top of the door panel, instead of sticking out where the miata's handle is located. Your right knee may be an issue with the shifter, though.

I hope this helps... I know it isn't much to go on.

Cade

PS: I'm 6'2"

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
pcpacker!
There is an S1 in Sandy! A friend of mine owns one. Do you want to see if you fit in it? The internal dimensions have not changed. Well, only the sill height and that is only to your advantage. Are you around Friday or very early Saturday as we are going to an IVR event at Wendover.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You bet!

Adamant,

You just tell me where to be! Friday would be better (after 3 pm if possible) Maybe you could PM or email your phone number and I could call you.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
pcpacker said:
went and test drove a miata tonight with my wife. I have been very worried about not being able to buy the Elise because I am 6'5". Please give me feedback.
I'm 6'5" as well, and I fit... albeit quit snugly (is that a word).

the seats are much closer together on the Elise, so your left knee is not nearly as big of a concern as your right leg being wedged between the shifter and the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts