The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i thought i might have a slow leak one day and sure enough, i wake up with a flat rear tire in the morning. I don't have time to call a tow truck, I don't have interst to find out if the nasty slime stuff will works becuase i have to use the car all weekend and i also don't have time to get the tire fixed... All i know is that i have a slow leak that takes over-night so it will hold some air for enough time to drive for a few hours so what i really need is to get it to the gas station so i can air it up... and fast.

what i DO have time for is walking to the bike shop that's a couple blocks away and buying the product I linked below.

The below product comes with a single 16gm CO2 cartridge (which is about 1 mountain bike tires worth of air) and i bought 3 more with the hopes that they would together be enough air in the tire that i could baby it to the gas station a few blocks away.

I put the first cartridge in and i see no change... crap... i could be out $25 and no better off... 2nd cartridge goes in and YES!.... tire comes off the ground. 3rd cartridge in and i could drive it to the gas station, but i put the 4th in for good measure becuase of all the pot holes on the street it's going to be navigating. I don't know what my final pressure was, but i'm running a 16" rims on rear and 245 width tires so it's as much air as you'd need in any tire people normally run. if you have 17's and 225's it'll be even better off. From now on i plan to keep this little cutie and 8 cartidges in my car so i can get it up to full pressure or get it to the gas station twice if necessary.

I had to top it up at the gas station every 9-12 hours over the weekend and would fill the tire up to max PSI to keep me running, but the CO2 cartriges got the job done, and it's cheap and easy to do, doesn't ruin the tire like slime, and doesn't weight too much!!! :nanner::shift:

Microflate Nano

I guess it should be noted that realistically a small hand pump would also do the job just fine too... accept you might end up a sweaty mess and with a busted back trying to hand pump 4 mtb tires worth of air at some akward angle.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
That is pretty slick! It seems a bit overpriced for what it is though. Thanks for sharing the info. I think I will look for one priced a bit more fairly priced though.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
One Elise owner I know keeps a mini 12V compressor between his seats. As long as you have 12V power then you have air.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Yeah, but is carbon dioxide as cool as nitrogen?

So i thought i might have a slow leak one day and sure enough, i wake up with a flat rear tire in the morning. I don't have time to call a tow truck, I don't have interst to find out if the nasty slime stuff will works becuase i have to use the car all weekend and i also don't have time to get the tire fixed... All i know is that i have a slow leak that takes over-night so it will hold some air for enough time to drive for a few hours so what i really need is to get it to the gas station so i can air it up... and fast.

what i DO have time for is walking to the bike shop that's a couple blocks away and buying the product I linked below.

The below product comes with a single 16gm CO2 cartridge (which is about 1 mountain bike tires worth of air) and i bought 3 more with the hopes that they would together be enough air in the tire that i could baby it to the gas station a few blocks away.

I put the first cartridge in and i see no change... crap... i could be out $25 and no better off... 2nd cartridge goes in and YES!.... tire comes off the ground. 3rd cartridge in and i could drive it to the gas station, but i put the 4th in for good measure becuase of all the pot holes on the street it's going to be navigating. I don't know what my final pressure was, but i'm running a 16" rims on rear and 245 width tires so it's as much air as you'd need in any tire people normally run. if you have 17's and 225's it'll be even better off. From now on i plan to keep this little cutie and 8 cartidges in my car so i can get it up to full pressure or get it to the gas station twice if necessary.

I had to top it up at the gas station every 9-12 hours over the weekend and would fill the tire up to max PSI to keep me running, but the CO2 cartriges got the job done, and it's cheap and easy to do, doesn't ruin the tire like slime, and doesn't weight too much!!! :nanner::shift:

Microflate Nano

I guess it should be noted that realistically a small hand pump would also do the job just fine too... accept you might end up a sweaty mess and with a busted back trying to hand pump 4 mtb tires worth of air at some akward angle.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That is what I bring out to the track. Was about $40 at Harbor Freight. At home I have a shop air through a standard 80 gal compressor.

One Elise owner I know keeps a mini 12V compressor between his seats. As long as you have 12V power then you have air.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Based on pretty good tests by a motorcycle mag, I bought Slime, which was their choice.

I also bought the small compressor they liked/chose.

And, a plug kit.

NOTE: Some of these compressors draw too much to be used in cig lighter/aux power sockets, i.e. the fuse will blow.

So, rigged up some wires w/alligator clips and connect directly to battery.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I just bought a $10 bike pump, takes about 5 pumps per pound of air and gives me excercise:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yeah, but is carbon dioxide as cool as nitrogen?
Cool?
It seems for cooling you would want helium (or hydrogen), and argon or xenon on the heavy side of the gases.

I thought <dry> nitrogen was used as it lacks of vapor?
So CO2 also lacks water vapor is relatively inert like the other gases mentioned (excluding hydrogen)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you wanted to be really cool you should use the No2 (nitrous oxide) whipped cream cartridges, but keeping the ravers/hippies from huffing the air from your tires could be a real problem if they find out about it!

The unit itself doesn't seem expensive at all to me. I definitely wouldn't buy their cartridges... too expensive, but you can find them on amazon for cheap. 16gm's seems to be the best value for cartridges. I'd rather buy 25/50gm cartridges but they're way more expensive per amount of air.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yeah why not just but a "stand up" sized bike pump at the bike store? If you have a garage a tiny 99$ compressor from sears is worth it IMHO. The crappy 12v tire inflators are the debil IMHO, but they will work if you dont mind waiting 20 min.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts