The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Lotus could learn something from the Carrera GT. Ever notice it's removable roof? It's acutally in two separate pieces so that the roof can be stored in the trunk. Genius. Are ya listening, Lotus?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Reckon how much Porsche charges for that hardtop (ie if you had to order it separately). I'm guessing thousands. People complain about $1500 for hardtop and $2500-3000 for the autostyle solutions top.

Keep in mind GT3 equals GRAND TOURING (GT). The elise is closer to being a barchetta type bare bones roadster.

The elise hardtop isn't designed for quick change, more for seasonal usage.

Chris

·
Registered
302 Posts
For some reason the GT doesn't look good to me in yellow, which is my color of choice in the Elise. It's hard to believe you could buy 10 Elisi for the price of 1 GT.

Jeff

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Different yellow. That is "canary" yellow... a pale, sickly desaturated version of the color (or maybe it's just a bad photo).

PS - a Porsche exec. is in my office right now. I think we're selling them our marketing services. If Porsche is a client, does that mean I can't own a Lotus? :eek:

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Tripledigits said:
For some reason the GT doesn't look good to me in yellow, which is my color of choice in the Elise. It's hard to believe you could buy 10 Elisi for the price of 1 GT.

Jeff
I was thinking the same thing... Weird how bad it looks..made me doubt for a second..I was thinking how much nicer it would look in Silver

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dream on about $440,000. The 275 cars offered in the in the first order sold in a flash. The Dealers who bought the balance of the 400 builds list them at $650,000 to $750,000 and the street price is now 900k-1million.

Porsche has a few yellows, pastel/a butter color, and Speed yellow which this one is, both of which are non metalic.

That pic of the rear panels is great, any more of the rest of the car.
As I have said, I have a Porscheaholic husband, his latest is a Speed yellow boxter. Me, its Italian and English cafe racers.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Tripledigits said:
It's hard to believe you could buy 10 Elisi for the price of 1 GT.

Jeff
Not that hard to believe. Porsche has never been a good value. The attraction of Porsche has always mystified me. Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain and always that smell of leaking/burning oil from the aircooled opposed six engine.

If you had $440K cash you could buy 10 Elise all at once and put the extras in storage. Then you could get out a new one every three years and sell your used one. How much fun would that be, after the prices have slowly risen to $60K in the next 5-10 years you're still driving brand new $40k ones that are paid for. You could also choose to just hang on to the extra 9 cars for 30 years
and sell them in 2034. If the 1st year Fed Elise becomes the classic and icon that I think it will imagine what 9 brand new ones would go for at Smith Barret auction in 2034. Image what 9 brand new XKE's would sell for. Far more than the $440K it cost you, while the Porsche Carrera GT is worth far less.

Steve

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not that hard to believe. Porsche has never been a good value
I disagree. Porsche has one of the best resale values historically.

I leased a 2000 boxster with nothing down. $44K purchase price, drove it for 2.5 years, put 19K miles on it, and sold it for $40K.

There aren't too many cars out there that depreciate less than a porsche.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can take the $440k+ you pay for the Porsche, put it in a relatively safe mutual fund..

and get enough annual returns to buy a Elise or any other entry luxury car... one every year!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Porsche makes fairly reliable water cooled engines these days if no one has noticed. Value is a relative term. $440k is a good deal for wealthy buyers who want Le Mans technology.

...and finally, a mint CGT is worth more than $440k obviously, so you have a huge ROI if you sell right away. Not sure how values will hold down the road, considering they are making a lot of them.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
smura,
I was under the impression that Porsche was discounting deeply on most of their cars because sales have been poor??
Chris

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Porsche needs no defense, they have a long and very distinguished racing history as well as being tremendous innovators in car design and engineering generally- not unlike Lotus, in some ways.

Personally I love Porsches of all types so I'm obviously biased, but I don't really see how any car lover could just say "I don't like Porsches..." out of hand. I am of the belief that a real car lover has got to learn to appreciate (at a minimum) the contributions of all the great marques, from Bentley to McLaren. They've all been key in bringing modern cars to where they are today.

Okay but Chris, to your guess that the Carrerra GT's top must "cost thousands", this reminds me of a little story. A good friend is one of the founders of Andial, a premier Porsche tuning company. A few of his customers have 959's. One of the 959 owners was rear-ended (!!!!) at a stop light. The rear bumper had a small crack, Dieter said it could be repaired "like new", but the owner said no, I want the car perfect, find a new one. So Dieter made some calls, located the only new, original one left in the world, in Germany. The cost was,

wait for it.....

$70,000.00 !

Dieter said the insurance companies of the two parties sent representatives out to his shop, to see what they were paying for. They couldn't believe it.

:p

Cheers, Mike G.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I'm with Mikester, Porsche makes fantastic cars. Remember value is a relative term that generally fluctuates with the size of your bank account.

I don't believe people who buy CGTs consider the fact that they could buy 10 Elises. If I could afford a CGT, I would have one in my garage...along with an Elise and a bunch of other cool cars/bikes. :D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
mikester said:

$70,000.00 !

Why that's a bargain. Mike, have to admit I've never been particularly fond of the Porsche line, they have an incredible history in competition etc. (do like the old speedster and the 550 spyder). They've always seemed to me to be passionless and very utilitarian, whereas a ferrari oozes passion and performance, why I'll always be a diehard ferrari fan.

Porsche guys please don't flame, just personal opinions.

Chris

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Why that's a bargain. Mike, have to admit I've never been particularly fond of the Porsche line, they have an incredible history in competition etc. (do like the old speedster and the 550 spyder). They've always seemed to me to be passionless and very utilitarian, whereas a ferrari oozes passion and performance, why I'll always be a diehard ferrari fan.

Porsche guys please don't flame, just personal opinions.

Chris
Ah, Chris I believe that's down to the culture and general demeanor of the Germans vs. the Italians. Again probably biased because my mom's German, so I am not as sensitive to this "passionless" thing but I understand exactly what you mean. Generally the German demeanor is much more reserved and "careful", but very "exact", very precise. I think to get through to the more warm side of the Germans takes some time and effort, compared to Italians, for example. Of course none of this is applicable to the Germans from Bavaria (i.e., Munich)! :p

So I think it's clear that the designs of Porsche and Ferrari reflect the personalities of the people behind them - Ferraris do show some of that raw, "out there" emotion that Italians are famous for, whereas Porsche design is quite a bit more subdued. Both great marques, no question - diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks !

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was under the impression that Porsche was discounting deeply on most of their cars because sales have been poor??
That's true today. Back in 2002 that was not the case. Down economy = down sales. But historically, resale value on a Porsche have been some of the best.

Go out and try to buy a 1997/8 993 carrera - the last of the air cooled porsches. They're still selling for $65K with 30K miles on them. You could buy a new 911 for $70K. Not bad for a 7 year old car.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I generally like all Porsches except the rear engined ones. What a crazy design idea that is!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts