The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my '84 Esprit Turbo out for a ride and was rear ended. Not too much damage, but damage nonetheless.

Looking for advice/opinions on dealing with it.

I went to my local collision shop, just to get an estimate. Waiting to hear back from JAE on parts prices.

There are no Lotus dealers near me. I emailed a few dealers asking for estimates too.

I know the other driver and he acknowledges that he is at fault and will pay for the damages.

Any thoughts on a way to get a proper estimate? I think I am on the right track, just wondered what you guys thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
That last pic threw me off. I thought it was your car the inside of a dark garage.. Then I thought.. wow that's a big bolt. lol... how'd you get your camera in there?!

Anyway sorry about the accident.. hope insurance takes care of everything for you.. glad you're ok.

looks like the bumper took the brunt of the damage..coulda been worse.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha ha. That was a shot inside the bumper. Couldn't see in there without a camera. Just shows that it is slightly bent.

·
Super Moderator
3,897 Posts
Sorry to see that happened; the most important point is it minor and you/passenger were not hurt.

FYI the damage appears to be bumper and valance only. But that upper left bumper crack may have impacted the bodyshell lower left of taillight - you may have very fine gel-coat cracks that may result in flaking paint months later. You might be able to see the cracks; maybe not.

This point is actually mentioned in my 88 Esprit driver's handbook (regarding leaning up again the body).

Make sure the insurance folks/body shop are familiar with fiberglass damage - you don't want to have a paint problem 6 months down the road and then they don't cover it.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
If you can't get to a Lotus shop the next best thing is a shop that does a lot of fiberglass work on cars like a Corvette. Look up the local Corvette club and see if anyone can recommend a good shop. You must figure not only the obvious damage you see but also the hidden damage that you will find once you start taking things apart. Bent brackets, cracked fiberglass, etc. You should also insist on replacing ALL of the bulbs in the affected area. The shock will make them fail prematurely, especially if they were on at the time (like the brake lights!).
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,698 Posts
The rear bumper was HOLLOW???? I thought there was some kind of foam inside....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That really sucks, glad your ok. I've come close to getting hit so many times I've lost count. People driving huge SUV's talking on cell phones are my worst enemy especially in parking lot's.

Please let us know the damage estimate so should the same happen to one of our cars we would have some idea to go on. Hope you get her fixed quickly as driving seaon is approaching.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, no one was hurt. thanks.

One question I have is, Jeff said the bumper is no longer available. A fiberglass replication is.

Should this bother me? For some reason, it does.

Has anyone else used one?

How does it look?

No new details, just waiting on estimates.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I saw those replacements somehwere but cannot remember... if I recall they didn't look too bad. I think the place making them is located in PA.

They did look slightly different than the OE.

·
Registered
292 Posts
yeah, no one was hurt. thanks.

One question I have is, Jeff said the bumper is no longer available. A fiberglass replication is.

Should this bother me? For some reason, it does.

Has anyone else used one?
All the rest of the world use them as ours were supplied ex factory that way front and rear. Go for it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
. . . Please let us know the damage estimate so should the same happen to one of our cars we would have some idea to go on. Hope you get her fixed quickly as driving seaon is approaching.
Nothing to report yet. Still have not received pricing from JAE.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still waiting for prices.

Talked to Jeff yesterday and he said he would get to it today (he said that last week too).

Anyone know of another place to get a price quote?

RD Enterprises got back to me right away. They said to call JAE.

I tried SJ Sportscars too. No reply.

Any advice???

:wallbang:

·
Registered
177 Posts

Talked to Jeff yesterday and he said he would get to it today (he said that last week too).

Any advice???

I've had issues several vendors never getting back to me but usually emailing them again saying you never heard back will elicit a response. You could try these:

Dave Bean Engineering, Inc.
QED
Lotus Bits

·
Super Moderator
3,897 Posts

Any advice???

I've never dealt with them, but won't hurt to try - they claim they have 'S3' (vs. S3 NA) bumper and valance - each 50 pounds (about $120 total?) Not including shipping.

Lotus Bits:

Lotus Esprit body parts and interior spare parts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had issues several vendors never getting back to me but usually emailing them again saying you never heard back will elicit a response. You could try these:

Dave Bean Engineering, Inc.
QED
Lotus Bits
Right after you posted, I emailed each of those three vendors.

I have heard back from one, QED. Their response - "Sorry, We are engine parts only."

so the wait continues . . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts