The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wore my SweetDaddyD provided "Power to Weight" Elise T-shirt to my 7yo daughter's softball game tonight, but drove the Honda (with twenty 50lbs bags of concrete loaded in it :nanner:).

While waiting for the game to start I hear a child's voice, "Cool. A Lotus." So I look over at the parking lot knowing it can't be mine, hopeful that someone else owns a Lotus here in town, only to see 3 little boys aged 5-9 standing in front of me pointing at my shirt.

"Yeah, it's a Lotus," says I, only mildly surprised, but very happy that he could recognize the car even though the shirt doesn't say Lotus anywhere on it. "How did you know it was a Lotus?" I followed, fully expecting to hear about the Elise from his video games.

"I love Lotus," responds the oldest boy.

"Yeah? Which is your favorite?" I ask, somewhat calling him out thinking he knows nothing other than what he has seen from his video games.

"V8 Esprit. But I like the Stevens body also. And don't get me wrong, I'd take a Giugiaro bodied Esprit anyday, but I do like the power of the V8. It's sweeeeeeeet, Thomson designed it beautifully, and it still handles like a Lotus."

I'm thinking "WTF did this kid just say to me? There's no way he said what I just heard." He even pronounced Giugiaro correctly, without stumbling, which I can't do.

So I start quizzing this 9 year old kid on Lotus history. He absolutely kicked my @$$ in Lotus knowledge. We had a 30 minute discussion about various Lotus models and differences in years of cars. Well, it was more like this kid talking for 30 minutes about Lotus. He described the changes to the Elan and Seven over the production years. He apparently has a Lotus Matchbox collection with about 60 or so cars and multiple Lotus books, but doesn't have any video games at all.

Dumbfounded, I had nothing to add to this kid, as I certainly couldn't teach him anything, other than to offer him a ride in a Seven or an Elise after one of the softball games (Yes, his mother was right there, his sister plays on my daughter's team. No, I don't have a "free candy" sign on my paneled van). He opted for the Seven as he had never seen one in person. When I asked if he had ever seen an Elise in person, he starts describing this "grey Elise that a doctor friend" of his Dad has that he has seen driving around. Ha, Ha. Turns out I know his father. Small world with very pleasant surprises today. I think I'm about to have a son as I'm going to talk to his Dad about starting the adoption process.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I call BS :p

Seriously, I can't believe that. I'd have to see it in person to fully believe it :eek:
No BS (not that I really care if you believe it or not :p). His dad is a huge car nut/pharmaceutical rep that used to come to my office and drop off patient samples. If I had known that this was his son, I wouldn't have been surprised at all. I didn't find out who dad was until the end, then it all made sense.
I just called the police and told them about a child predator.

:no: ;)
Uh, that's why I clarified
RoadDad said:
(Yes, his mother was right there, his sister plays on my daughter's team. No, I don't have a "free candy" sign on my paneled van)
get this kid to log on here.
Ha. Didn't even think of that :wallbang:. I'll suggest it to his pops and see what he says.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't actually think you're BSing... It just sounds incredible...
I wish I had had a tape recorder. It was pretty amazing to hear the stuff he was saying in a 9 year old voice. His dad's a pretty smart guy and really knows his cars so "chip off the old block." I guess since this boy doesn't have any video games he must spend his time reading, thus becoming smarter not fatter and dumber.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
That's so cool! Were you looking around for the hidden camera?

·
Registered
933 Posts
RoadDad, thats awesome haha.

By this kids standers... the only thing I know is the difference between the lotus elise and exige. -poke-

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I guess since this boy doesn't have any video games he must spend his time reading, thus becoming smarter not fatter and dumber.
...hey, remember back when the kids who spent their time playing were fit and the ones who spent their time reading were the fat?..

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
haha! I don't know what the kid said either.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I was like that when I was that age too, albeit perhaps not so marque specific. I couldn't memorize the multiplication tables, but I could tell you all the performance figures and specs for practically every sports car. I literally learned how to read on Car and Driver and Road and Track.
Still have to pinch myself that my name now appears in pages of those mags :coolnana:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At 9, I could drive (thanks to the karts) but couldn't tell you all that much about cars really. I could, however, tell you if Suzie or Tamara had softer lips :D.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts