The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving home from tonights Karting event. I was thinking about how much I love the McLaren F1 car and how cool it is with the single drivers seat in the middle of the cabin. How crazy would it be to do this to the Eagle? Passengers would actually have more leg room and Lotus has had a single driver positioned in the middle with the S1 Exige. Seems to me that if any car was made to do this it would be a 2+2 Lotus. :panic::panic: Have I been inhaling too many fumes tonight?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Seems to me that if any car was made to do this it would be a 2+2 Lotus.
Well for one thing it would automatically become a 1+2 lotus. I'm not sure how many people will spend ~100k on a GT car that can only carry 3 people. Though from a manufacturing standpoint its probably easier to build a standard car without having to move the steering around for US vs UK.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
QUOTE=rnr;935334]Well for one thing it would automatically become a 1+2 lotus. I'm not sure how many people will spend ~100k on a GT car that can only carry 3 people. [/QUOTE]

I disagree with that, as I have a 2+2 and as with all of them the back seat is pretty much useless. (Makes a nice shelf). The Eagle is mid engined so how much room can there really be for that seat. A car that can seat two passengers comfortably would be a lot more practical than one that seats one comfortably and one sprawled across the back seat (once they even squeeze in there.) I know also that over the last few years manufacters of city cars have had 2+1 and 3+1 show cars as market research is showing people don't necessarily need a four seater, if you do buy a sedan.

The only down side is getting into the center seat. OK so us Lotus drivers don't mind a bit of inconvience but if Lotus could find an easy way to get in there for everyone they'd have a winner.

So bring on the three seater center steering Eagle, I think people would be lining up.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I'm not sure how many people will spend ~100k on a GT car that can only carry 3 people.
People spend all kinds of money on Porsche 911s and they're a 2+2 that can only carry 2 people!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Well for one thing it would automatically become a 1+2 lotus. I'm not sure how many people will spend ~100k on a GT car that can only carry 3 people.
F1 owners spent over a million for a three seater. I was lucky enough to drive one, and thought that the coolness factor of sitting in the center was awesome. :shift:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thinking about it... A 1+2 might have been the best idea for an eagle. Makes a lot more sense to me. The coolness factor alone would attract some buyers.

-Whit

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
:no: No, a seat in the middle is a bad idea - a gimmick. Maybe good for the race track, but not for the street.

It's a pain driving a RHD car on the right side of the road. A seat in the middle isn't much better. You are far better off sitting on the left side of a car while driving on the right side of the road. And of course, the opposite applies for cars driven on the left side of the road.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
:no: No, a seat in the middle is a bad idea - a gimmick. Maybe good for the race track, but not for the street.
Shhhh.... don't anyone tell Gordon Murray.
:D

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It's a pain driving a RHD car on the right side of the road. A seat in the middle isn't much better. You are far better off sitting on the left side of a car while driving on the right side of the road. And of course, the opposite applies for cars driven on the left side of the road.
How about if we call the fourth seat a touring seat? -poke-
If it's good for the race track. How's it a gimmick? No difference to me than owning a 06 Exige.

Getting into the drivers seat of a 1+2 can't be any harder than getting into the back seats of a 2+2 Lotus.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Didn't the later years of the F1 stop doing the 3 seats due to airbag restrictions or something wierd? Thought I read that somewhere and can't find anything on it in a quick search

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
It would certainly increase the "exotic" factor. It's going to be an exclusive type of car-I think quite a few people would find it cool and it would probably garner a good deal of free publicity for the rare seating arrangement. Intuitively, I think I'd enjoy a center driving position on public roads, but then I've never tried one. I have been behind the wheel of a rhd car in a lhd world and it freaked me out. My questions are these: How hard would it be for the driver to climb in that center postion? Would he be trading his daily comfort for the comfort of his occasional passengers? And is there increased safety sitting in a center position (I'd assume so, since this is the position so many racers take).

Tom

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Didn't the later years of the F1 stop doing the 3 seats due to airbag restrictions or something wierd? Thought I read that somewhere and can't find anything on it in a quick search
I've heard rumors that one of the importers who dealt with them was pulling the side seats - but nothing more than rumors and never got a clear reason.

I thought most of them made it in under show & display, which would have eliminated the need to meet the NHTSA part of the import equation.
:shrug:

As to safety? Remember, it's the car that Murray wanted to be in during the crash tests and (supposedly) the only vehicle that was driven away from the MIRA testing facility after the crash testing was completed.
:up:

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm talking out of my b*tt here, but I would think it would be safer for the driver since he/she would be more insulated from side impact.

Not that anyone knows, but is the Eagle going to be offered only as a hard top?
If so they could just cut the doors into the roof as the F1 car does. I would then think it would be easier to get in and out than our Elise/Exiges.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
What's wrong with actual size??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
no - it doesn't work that way to answer your question!

The Mclaren F1 is a packaging marvel, a one of a kind, i dare say it is the best designed car EVER - and there will probalby never ever be anything equal built again....

what murray did (in regards to the seat arrangement) was solve the leg room, front suspension wheels, engine bulkhead problem. take a look at a murcilago, its a disaster... (from an engineered packaging design standpoint)

Murray moved the drivetrain forward into the cockpit, then moved the entire cabin forward into the wheels, placed a solo center seat to allow footwell and pedal box forward in the chassis (between, not 'behind' the suspension) and then slotteed the passangers on either side of the engine and behind the wheel wells. brilliant!

i don't know the exact #'s but he solved the balance issue and solved some aerodymic ones as well (the drivetrain is way forward in a mclaren - far more than you could 'normally' achieve), shortened the car by what... ~3 feet, therefore eliminated weight, created a stiffer (shorter) chassis and put every single inch of space to good use - nothing is wasted (there is LOTS of wasted space in an elise, or really ANY other car.)

so back to the question... while you 'might' be able to arrange seats in a similar orientation to a mclaren, you will never, ever acheive the REASON the seats are orineted like that.

This is the one and only time i will ever disagree with Tim and say - there was zero marketing behind the arrangement, and pure engineering genius!!

(to make up for it tim, i will be sending air horns your way... just been very busy of late with travel!)

i have a hard on now just talking about it... the mclaren, not the airhorns!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I would REALLY like it and might actually buy a 1+2 Eagle.

But I don't see myself buying a 2+2 Lotus. But I would buy a 2+2 911. :shrug:

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
McLaren holds a numer of patents as a result of the F1 project, one of those being for the 1+2 seating arrangement as they employed it. I'm not sure what the exact verbage of the patent is, but I think it is a major reason we won't be seeing too many new cars with similar setups for a long time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts