The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some interesting notes from my day today. You may note my "Great Pumpkin Pictures I also took today in this thread,
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6705

We went to a local winery in the hills of Indiana called "Hubers". They also have a pumpkin patch, orchards, petting zoo, cheese factory, bakery, apple cider, the whole nine yards. This time of year thousands of people head there. It's a madhouse.

Our first problem was parking. Parking was spread out all over...hundreds if not a thousand or more cars in the grass, along orchard rows etc. The problem was that most of the areas werent paved and there was a giant drop off which was fine for a normal car, but the Lotus was too low.

I managed to pull around towards the main group of buildings and I asked one of the kids who was directing cars if I could park near the buildings so the car was on level ground. The young man agreed and I parked near the main building right on the corner, prime spot. Satisfied with the situation we got out and walked around.

After getting a pumpkin ice cream cone I found myself standing outside in a courtyard eating it and spotted some people looking at the car. A group of women stopped and all took their pictures with the car. It was kind of fun standing there watching so I sat down to eat my cone, playing with my digital camera and watching the commotion as people walked past the car.

As Im sitting there I see two young men in their late teens early 20's looking in the car. Thats fine. They pass by once, then circle back again. Then one of them proceeds to try and open the doors. My husband who was also standing next to ran down to the car and asked them wtf their problem was trying to open my doors. They marched off in a huff.

Next we waited in line to get on the "hay bale tractor ride" out to the pumpkin patch. The waiting line was also within sight of our car. While standing in line I noticed yet another group of people hanging all over the car, yanking on the doors, and leaning on it. UGGH!
The kid who was directing the parking of cars saw the people messing with the car too. My husband finally decided to walk over and ask the parking valet kid( looked about 14 or 15) if he would watch the car for us and keep people from yanking on it. He agreed and to be nice my husband gave him a $20.

We then felt safe to walk around and enjoy ourselves. I dont mind if people look at the car ALL DAY LONG, but I think people trying to open doors and yank on the car is a bit crazy.

THen to top it all off, on the hay ride we passed by the car again and a man sitting behind me said " look at that car, its so pretty but such an awful color". LOL. I just sat there and didn't say a word. On the hayride back we were with a different group and 4 or 5 people gushed over the car as we passed by it saying how they loved the color and the car and "what kind of car is that". I just sat silent.

This car is alot of fun to own, but it takes alot of effort sometimes. I had my camera out and even managed to take a pic of the punks who were trying to break into the car. I dont know why people think they can just open up someones car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
That's a gut wrenching story. I don't understand trying to open other people's doors? I know that I'm guilty of gawking through the windows of exotic (or just interesting to me) cars. But I always make a point not to touch and to hold any loose clothng back. I would hope others might have the same respect for another person's property.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
This isn't an excuse for their behaivor, but maybe they were perplexed by the lack of an obvious handle, and were mucking around out of curiosity.

The alternative is that they were actually trying to steal something (contents or the car itself), or thinking about trying to get inside and "pretend drive," which would qualify them for "world's stupidist teenage punk criminals."

Regardless, the story is disturbing.

edit: i'm getting a car cover for situations like this...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
You should have left your windows down and turned the alarm on. Once those idiots reached inside, it would have gone off.

I think you can also set your locks to that they can only be opened with the key, so they cant reach in and just pull up on the door lock and get inside.

One of my coworkers said he was looking at my car and was afraid to lean over and look inside and look around because he figured it would set off the alarm. Now I leave the windows up when the top is off and the car is parked, so it acts as more of a deterrant. I only park it at work, and it is in a secure area with video cameras and limited access. I would be afraid to leave it alone in an open area. I got gas the other day and paid with my card at the pump, but as i was doing so, a bunch of teenage kids came up to get gas and were looking at the car. If I had gone into the station to pay, they probably would have been inside the car looking around.

Worst thing that ever happenned is about 20 years ago I was stopped at a light in my MG with the roof down, and this high school kid comes over, opens the passenger side door, hops in and said, I'm late for school, can you drop me off about 1/2 a mile down the road so I'm not late? I was only a few years older than the kid, so maybe he thought I was on my way to school too, but ever since then I have always made sure that my doors are locked.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's a double edged sword. This car attracts an insane amount of attention. It's fun, but it's a hassle too. I have insurance etc, but I still dont want to have to take it into the shop to have a scratch fixed or damage fixed from someone being a fool. IMHO it just never looks the same and its alot of trouble.

I also worry about someone prying the Lotus emblems off.

I'd say that at least 400 people looked/stood around/ loitered around the car today as they passed by it on their way into and out of the establishment. I hate to worry about the car when I'm inside. I know its just a car, but its not like I can just go out and get another one, ya know?

·
Registered
368 Posts
That is a freaky story. I'd be pissed if strangers were trying to open up my car or lean on it. Actually I'm pissed at those kiddos just from reading your story.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. It upset me too and Im usually pretty easy going. To me that would be like going up to someones house and trying the door and if it's unlocked opening up the door and looking around. The fact that it happened more than once in the span of 30 minutes while I sat there watching bothered me even more.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Geez! To think I usually put my hands behind my back whenever I get near someones nice ride just to be certain I dont touch it. I have noticed on several occasions when poeple were looking at my car they feel the need to caress it. WTF.. how does touching and rubbing the car make for a more enjoyable experience? I am amazed at how many ar compelled to touch it. The other thing I saw that really turned my stomach was when I was checking out a new Lambo (not to buy) there was a woman leaning over it with her keys at her waist slapping and scraping the car. She was totally oblivious to it. I was like WTF. I dont usually get involved but I brought it to her attention. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. I do that in museums and art galleries too. I put my hands behing my back and look without touching. My dad has a gallery and he and I have discussed people like this before. People who will plop down on an 18th century couch or bang the keys of a 17th century harpsichord like they're at circuit city.

I see people slinging their keys around all the time, and belt buckles too. They're totally oblivious.

I had a contractor in my garage one afternoon and he had a measuring stick in his hand slinging it around and slapped the car with it. I was thinking , how hard is it to be careful around other people's stuff???

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
The fact that it happened more than once in the span of 30 minutes while I sat there watching bothered me even more.
This whole incident set a light bulb off in my head: A friend of mine use to live in a bad part of SF (the Western Addition), and crackheads would congregate on his doorstep, getting high and making a lot of noise. To get rid of them, he would take an external flash bulb, extend it gingerly outside his living room window, and flash the street the below. This sent the crack heads scurrying, as they thought they had just had their photo taken. And because the flash of light was gone as soon as it started, and lit up the ENTIRE street, the street people never knew exacty where the flash was coming from.

So someone should create an extrenal flash on the Elise, one that sets with the alarm, and triggers anytime anyone tries to open door buttons. It may not deter true thieves, but I bet those punk assholes would have fled pronto.

Shoot, sensors could be installed on bumpers as well to stop the bump-and-runners.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
The other thing I saw that really turned my stomach was when I was checking out a new Lambo (not to buy) there was a woman leaning over it with her keys at her waist slapping and scraping the car. She was totally oblivious to it. I was like WTF. I dont usually get involved but I brought it to her attention. :rolleyes:
:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

My heart rate is rising from reading this thread.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
next time take an attack dog with you. tie him to the rim, sit back and watch the carnage. No one will dare come 10 feet of the car. LOL.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I know it invites it more... but you learn a lot when you display a car at an auto show. I talked to some other guys and they all had stories about how people treated the cars.

At the conclusion of the LA Auto Show... and hundreds of grubby hands pawing the car, flipping switches and turning things on... taking stuff that was not glued or bolted down... dripping ice cream on the car... I came to the conclusion that people suck. :)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
That sounds like $20 very well spent! Anyone know how much it costs to rent a sniper? ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I fear its gonna take me more than $20 per day to protect my baby

We are surrounded by worse characters than Jenn described here, and Lillie knows it. In part because the car needs to be put out of sight of prying juvenile eyes, in part because I need a driveway with less slope than the current one.
I've been given the run-around trying to get permission to build a garage on my property since April, in part because a next door neighbor doesn't want anything next door and he's on the review board.
Living in a condo project is easier than building anything larger than 200 sq ft in an historic area with a house designated "of contributory interest." Looks like my car is gonna arive before we come close to getting a building permit, let alone completing Lil's dream garage.

Anyone wanna buy a LB/black touring slated for Dec delivery?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Items:

• AW posted 11:50 PM PST
  • X101 posted at 12:13 AM PST
Observation:
I doubt there is a California Condor that could beat out Dave. :D
In fact the mighty bird might lose a talon or two in the bargain. :bow:

Jeesh but you're vigilant!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Pulling at your handles? !! I had a radio stolen once - people sometimes suck.

As a counter story ... I had the car at a resturaunt and was able to park it where I could keep an eye on it while eating. A kid started checking it out .. then left ... then 5 minutes later was back with a bunch of friends. I'd say the group ranged from 10 -> 14 years old. They were quite excited and gawked and pointed - walked all around it ... but were very respectfull. It looked like they were trying not to breath on it wrong. After dinner a couple were still there so we did some Q&A :clap:

Can't say that about my dog though. First time he saw the car in the driveway he barked at it a lot (which we thought was cute) then suddenly jumped up onto the hood! Argh! :no:

-doma

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My car will only be used when I am assured reasonable security, which means going on cruises (not involing leaving the locked car for more than 5 mins) and to track days (security and familiar faces), but never scenarios as you have described.

OFL
One disadvantage for you are your physical appearance, which is much less malevolent than mine.
I would suggest a couple of mods to the car that while unsightly, may increase security.
1, NRA sticker
2, "Protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker.
Both regardless of political ideology or social preferences.:p :D No, seriously...:)
m.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts