The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all.... No I did not get scammed, but I did notice something that I want to take care of and I need this boards help.

Recently I have been looking around for a nice car for the wife. I dont buy cars from dealers. I usually purchase something that I can fix, that way its cheaper for me. Well long story short I was surfing Insurance auto auctions and came up on a few interesting vehicles. I was mostly looking at BMWs. I notices an M6 that looked interesting.. But I decided I didnt want to drool over the keyboard and moved on.. Went to a different site and found a nice 2007 BMW 530i. So I thought what the heck, I will try this one.. No frame damage. Looks like the top radiator support is pushed back... Needs new fenders, lights, and hood. Keep in mind the auction is this Thursday, 6/26/08. I have some time to wait so I keep looking.. Checking Craigslist and Ebayyyy.... Then I notice something..
damaged bmw, All matching items for sale.

The M6 and the 530 that I was looking at have their own Ebay ads!!!!:eek: WTF!! :mad::huh::thwack: Selling something that you dont own, or dont know the condition of is a scam!!

What can we/I do to stop this guy?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have not checked the other cars whether they are still awaiting their auction time but I have a feeling that they have not been sold at the auction as well.

·
Banned
874 Posts
maybe the insurance company also put it up on ebay for a quick buy? If not report it to the trust and safety dept. on ebay.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe the insurance company also put it up on ebay for a quick buy? If not report it to the trust and safety dept. on ebay.
NO!! The insurance companies dont do that. The Auto auctions specialize in that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Buy it off eBay and then bid it up in the auction so they lose money

·
Registered
571 Posts
they probably use someone elses credit card to pay the fees.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A guy I know in this area has a salvage yard filled with old cars. He's reluctant to let people look around because people take pics, post ads for the cars, then return to buy a car from him when they have a buyer (for more money, of course).

But sometimes that's too much trouble. Occasionally, some poor sap will pay 1/2 down to the scammer, who then disappears. Then the sucker will figure out where the real car is and sue the true owner, as if it's his fault. This all raises the question, how do sell something when by advertising it you open yourself up to possible scams and lawsuits?

People used to sell swampland in Florida this way, didn't they (false promises, sight unseen, etc)? Was it easier then, with less info available, or easier now, with too much info available?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I don't see what's wrong with having someone come in, see what you've got, find someone who's willing to pay more than you're asking and pocket the difference. After all, you sold the car at your asking price, and you wouldn't have otherwise. The money kept by the middleman is the finder's fee. You're not entitled to that money unless you're the one who went out and found a buyer and negotiated the higher price.

Maybe your friend should spend a little time taking photos and posting ads, and cut out the middleman.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe your friend should spend a little time taking photos and posting ads, and cut out the middleman.

Please elaborate

But if no one sees anything wrong with this, I might just start doing the same

1 - 9 of 9 Posts