The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im a new member here and i decided to join because the dealer told me i should think about my decision. Please help.

im in the market for a lotus. Im deciding between a elise and an exige s.
i like the elise because it seems like such a fun car, its a convertable and it just looks great.

on the other hand there is the exige s which seems like such a tough/extreme car. i have seen some pictures on the forums of it being a convertable.. is that an option?..

i would be using this cars as almost an everyday thing tell me what you think, any input would be very helpfull to me.

thank you!..

·
Registered
9,273 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
First off, "search" is your friend. Many threads on elise/exige s. Including one I started, where people were kind enough to send me to the search page.

In general it's a matter of choice, test drive them both and see which you like better. I liked the Elise better. A lot of people in fact like the elise better, though pricing might weigh into that as well. Some like the Exige better, and are rather passionate about their choice.

All Exige can have the top off just like an Elise, though you can't take the top with you, so you would need to order a soft top from someone if you planned on having a drive where you might need to put the top back on.

Welcome to the forums! We should all have such difficult choices to make.

:shift:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I went with the Elise as a daily driver. On the road, I personally did not find much difference in any of the models as the limits are already high. I can't find a lot of places in LA where I would ever take the car to it's limit nor would I want to. Take into consideration if you plan to track which really makes more of a difference. That is the best place to explore the limits and where you would be able to better differentiate in models. There is also a personal difference in asthetics.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Hi, I'm a new member here and i decided to join because the dealer told me i should think about my decision. Please help.

I'm in the market for a lotus. I'm deciding between a Elise and an Exige s.
i like the Elise because it seems like such a fun car, its a convertible and it just looks great.

on the other hand there is the Exige s which seems like such a tough/extreme car. i have seen some pictures on the forums of it being a convertible.. is that an option?..

i would be using this cars as almost an everyday thing tell me what you think, any input would be very helpfully to me.

thank you!..
There are lots of similar threads, searching for "Lotus Sport Suspension" should give you some information.

Basically, beside the difference in power, is the difference in suspension. The Exige has the same optional suspension used on the Elise - the Sport Pack. The suspension is a bit stiffer, but the biggest difference is the tires used. The tires (A048s) used on the LSS Elises and all Exiges tend to last only about 5,000 miles or so. The standard Elise tires (AD07s) last for 15,000 or more. The tires are very expensive. So, it's more than just the purchase price, but the ongoing price of replacing tires.

Additionally, the A048 tires don't work well at all in cold temperatures. If you live where it gets cold and you intend to drive it then, the AD07s of the Elise standard suspension might be a better choice. Of course, the AD07s grip degrades in the cold too, but not to the extent of the A048s.

The Exige will have more performance potential, but the reality is that the standard Elise has more capability than 99% of the drivers out there could handle.

As for the Exige being a "convertible" - by default it isn't. But the roof is removable. You can also add the "sockets" used by the Elise to hold the roof, and add an Elise soft top to the car so that you can drive topless - but that is all at your cost (and effort) as it isn't available that way from the factory.

It all comes down to what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It's important to note that the efficiency of the stock intercooler will be somewhat lessened with the removal of the roof. Even with the roof removal, the feeling in the Exige is much more claustrophobic, because you have zero over-the-right-shoulder rear visiblility. I've owned both, and the Elise is much more street-friendly. If you prefer top-down, everyday driving over track, go with the Elise, it has PLENTY of power. And you can alway modify it easily for more power if it's "not enough" for you.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
There are lots of similar threads, searching for "Lotus Sport Suspension" should give you some information.

Basically, beside the difference in power, is the difference in suspension. The Exige has the same optional suspension used on the Elise - the Sport Pack. The suspension is a bit stiffer, but the biggest difference is the tires used. The tires (A048s) used on the LSS Elises and all Exiges tend to last only about 5,000 miles or so. The standard Elise tires (AD07s) last for 15,000 or more. The tires are very expensive. So, it's more than just the purchase price, but the ongoing price of replacing tires.

Additionally, the A048 tires don't work well at all in cold temperatures. If you live where it gets cold and you intend to drive it then, the AD07s of the Elise standard suspension might be a better choice. Of course, the AD07s grip degrades in the cold too, but not to the extent of the A048s.

The Exige will have more performance potential, but the reality is that the standard Elise has more capability than 99% of the drivers out there could handle.

As for the Exige being a "convertible" - by default it isn't. But the roof is removable. You can also add the "sockets" used by the Elise to hold the roof, and add an Elise soft top to the car so that you can drive topless - but that is all at your cost (and effort) as it isn't available that way from the factory.

It all comes down to what you are looking for.
I had an elise, and have been struggling with the same decision myself regarding its replacement. I am probably going to go with the exige for 2 reasons - I like the exige styling better, and if I am going to spend the $$ on a new Lotus, I want to get the highest performance model they offer (knowing they will likely offer something more powerful next year).

When I had my elise the top was off 99.9% of the time, so if I get an exige, I will keep the top off and likely get the soft-top conversion.

As far as the tires you dont have to keep the 048s - there are other options that are more forgiving and longer lasting - I plan on replacing the 048s right away.

Lack of rear visibility is an issue, but there are ways around it - rear view camera, multivex mirrors

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well by ordering i meant a car. :)
perfect example would be mercedes, you go on the site make your car. Pick a dealership you want it to be sent to and you have your car!.

i am so exited to get my car!!..

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
well by ordering i meant a car. :)
perfect example would be mercedes, you go on the site make your car. Pick a dealership you want it to be sent to and you have your car!.

i am so exited to get my car!!..
lotuscars.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts