The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill keep it short.

I had 4 shims on the right front. I took them out. Then i got to the left side and there was NO shims.:huh: None. So I did an alignment and the front left was -.2 and the right was -1.4

I put the right shims back in and i guess my only option is to mill the left side.

What i wanna know is if anyone has had this same situation. Im bummed because i thought that was gonna be my next little improvement.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ill keep it short.

I had 4 shims on the right front. I took them out. Then i got to the left side and there was NO shims.:huh: None. So I did an alignment and the front left was -.2 and the right was -1.4

I put the right shims back in and i guess my only option is to mill the left side.

What i wanna know is if anyone has had this same situation. Im bummed because i thought that was gonna be my next little improvement.
First, are you sure that you've measured the camber properly? Generally with all shims out (except the speed sensor bracket shim), you'd get -0.8 to -1.0 degrees on each side... you've got -0.2 and -1.4, which add up to -1.6. If your camber gauge is not properly calibrated, or you're measuring on a surface that's not level, you might get that result.

If that's not the case, is there any possibility of frame/wishbone damage?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, are you sure that you've measured the camber properly? Generally with all shims out (except the speed sensor bracket shim), you'd get -0.8 to -1.0 degrees on each side... you've got -0.2 and -1.4, which add up to -1.6. If your camber gauge is not properly calibrated, or you're measuring on a surface that's not level, you might get that result.

If that's not the case, is there any possibility of frame/wishbone damage?
yeah its correct. I used a real alignment machine(im a mechanic). The left was neg .2 and the right side with all shims out was 1.4

Im lowered almost an inch which usually gives you some negative camber so maybe thats where the little extra came from.

Its wierd that there was no shims on the left from the factory. I have an early 05 and maybe the arms werent machined right from the factory so they added shims to one but the other didnt need them:shrug:

I dont know

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
yeah its correct. I used a real alignment machine(im a mechanic). The left was neg .2 and the right side with all shims out was 1.4

Im lowered almost an inch which usually gives you some negative camber so maybe thats where the little extra came from.
OK, that eliminates the first possibility. An inch? 25 mm? That's quite a bit, BTW... that makes your ride height around 105mm?

Its wierd that there was no shims on the left from the factory. I have an early 05 and maybe the arms werent machined right from the factory so they added shims to one but the other didnt need them:shrug:

I dont know
Is the speed sensor shim still on the left side? Whether it is or not, I'd be surprised that you'd only have -0.2 on that side with all the shims out. According to the manual, each 1mm shim gives 0.25 degrees of camber... so you have the equivalent of around 3-4mm of excess positive camber...

·
Registered
545 Posts
FWTW, I have an early 05, I have 4shims on each side. I have not had the alignment checked yet.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes speed sensor shim is installed on both sides. I did not count that as a shim.

Its just weird.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yes speed sensor shim is installed on both sides. I did not count that as a shim.

Its just weird.
I suppose you could put a caliper or micrometer on the steering arms or hub carriers to see if there's any significant difference in thickness between sides... no chance the wishbones are damaged or chassis pickup points deformed?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose you could put a caliper or micrometer on the steering arms or hub carriers to see if there's any significant difference in thickness between sides... no chance the wishbones are damaged or chassis pickup points deformed?
Yeah thats a good idea Ill try that when I get the time to pull the wheel off. As far as i know there is not damage. The car is low miles and very well taken care of. No track use.

Ill try measuring the steering arms and hub carrier when i get some time. Start form there.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I've got .6 on one side and 1.2 on the other with all my shims removed.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I guess I'm lucky then... the front and back suspensions are very close to symmetrical (about the same as my camber gauge's resolution of 0.1 degrees).

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
286 Posts
The variations are pretty amazing...or maybe not so much considering how minute the variations are relative to the amount of items bonded together.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
i agree with this 100%.

As for weight i had a little over half tank. Maybe close to 3/4.

What are the proper weight things to look for?
Did you have ballast equivalent to your weight (and potentially a passenger) in the car? That's much more significant than the weight of a full tank of fuel (~10 gallons * 6lbs/gal = 60 lbs).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts