The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I miss revving my engine under railroad bridges and other opportunities.

In my AMG, I can throw the engine into neutral and back into drive at speed (40 mph and less) and have done so for 10 years without issue despite the manual saying not to do so.

I haven’t had the courage to try this in the Evora.

Has anyone done this? I expect I will want to do this more after the decat goes in.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I thought tunnels/bridges were for slowing down, downshifting as much as possible, then full throttle with the goal of hitting the limiter before you get to the other side!

Not so much putting it in neutral and reving the sh#t out of it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I dont really know much about the IPS but I would say that because its all electrical input (ie push buttons). It wont let you do anything bad.
At a guess id say it wont let you go into neutral when youre moving.

Try it and let us know;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought tunnels/bridges were for slowing down, downshifting as much as possible, then full throttle with the goal of hitting the limiter before you get to the other side!
This has been my default play.

Holding the up shift to go from neutral to drive versus fumbling with the buttons was a nice benefit of actually reading the manual.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
The sort of fun you describe is why I enjoy my Honda Civic Si daily. Manual. Can make it talk if it’s the time to do it.

I miss that with the Mac, but am leary of a manual when over 500 hp. I make mistakes.

·
Happy To Be Here
819 Posts
I dont really know much about the IPS but I would say that because its all electrical input (ie push buttons). It wont let you do anything bad.
At a guess id say it wont let you go into neutral when youre moving.

Try it and let us know;)
As a safety measure, it’s been my understanding that every automatic car must be able to be put into neutral while moving. In an IPS, you can hold down both paddles at the same time to put the car in neutral rather than needing to hit the N button.

Now, the real question is what happens after you’re done revving. You could probably hold the right paddle to switch it back to drive, but this might be restricted to when you’re moving slower than about 2 mph. So after the fun, you might have to pull over in order to get back in gear. I don’t recommend dropping the car in drive while moving, but you could try it at slow speeds to see what happens. I would personally be afraid of blowing something up or just tempting fate. It is a Lotus after all.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
I've had the IPS Evora for over 6 years. I have put into neutral doing 60mph then put it back into drive without any problem. Picks the correct gear. I have also coasted to a light and forgot it was in neutral, or course I revved engine then put into drive and again, no problem. I did take my foot off the accelarator before I went into drive. I haven't seen any problems.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
A long long time ago, we were out late at night in my 1965 Plymouth Satellite, Claire ( I still know where that car is, who has her, 48 years after we first met). At an Interstate rest stop on New Year’s Eve, a tall girl I just met and champagne bottles in the floor ( open containers legal back then). Claire would not start.

An older dude in an old pickup truck came by. He pushed us up to 55 mph out on the Interstate. I edged it into D and she smoothly started. I was surprised. The good old days with real solid metal bumpers.

Never tried it again. But did hang the weekend with the tall girl.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As a safety measure, it’s been my understanding that every automatic car must be able to be put into neutral while moving.
Yeah probably the case. I know for most autos theres a mechanical over ride to get it out of park or if the engines not running etc for safety.

Either way I assume the engineers who programmed the IPS wouldnt let you self destruct it by clicking some paddles or pressing a button at the wrong time. Though it is Lotus! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It won't let you destroy it. I can hit "D" faster than holding the paddle for 3 seconds. I tend to hit D and then a paddle to get back to manual. Still not as easy as in a 3-pedal ride to rev and scare spouse or children.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It won't let you destroy it. I can hit "D" faster than holding the paddle for 3 seconds. I tend to hit D and then a paddle to get back to manual. Still not as easy as in a 3-pedal ride to rev and scare spouse or children.
I wish we had a small stick even with the IPS. The tactile feedback is better than remembering which button to hit.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I wish we had a small stick even with the IPS. The tactile feedback is better than remembering which button to hit.
I reached for that stick in second when rounding corners for a few months when I 1st got the IPS. I wouldn't go back though. I drive it a lot (55k now) and traffic is a reality. So nice to hit D and relax when I come to traffic. It can shift faster than I could anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts