The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but is that just internet chatter or does anyone actually have something in writing from Lotus on this? Is it written in the owner's manual? Is it posted on an official Lotus Cars site?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I am pretty sure lotus backs their product even on the track(as long as you dont over rev the engine :D)... after all thats really what they made it for...

they are not like some companies that market trucks with giant "OFFROAD" stickers on the side that void the warranty if the tires touch dirt(we need a vomiting "smiley" face...)

Edit: I guess I was wrong... but I thought I read a couple threads on here where people did get covered after an event(guess it was sanction:shrug:)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Its in the manual

earlier 05

OWNER MAINTENANCE
Remember that fuel consumption and wear and tear of the
car are affected considerably by the way the car is driven and
maintained. Be sure to carry out the simple maintenance checks
detailed below, and to have your car serviced regularly by your
Lotus dealer, in order to ensure maximum safety, reliability,
longevity and pleasure of ownership.
NOTICE: Failure to follow and comply with the Maintenance

Schedule may invalidate the terms of the warranty.
The Lotus Elise has been designed as a road going sports
car. It is recognised that owners may wish to use the car occasionally
on closed circuit tracks to experience the car’s full range
of dynamic capabilities. However, use of the car in a competitive
manner, including timed runs or laps, is not endorsed by Lotus.
Using the car on the track may cause a greater degree of wear
and tear on parts and such wear and tear on parts and components
will not be covered by your Limited Warranty.
WARNING:
Any type of timed, competitive car use will invalidate
warranty and require appropriate levels of expert car preparation
and servicing.

05-07

Track use, with repeated high rpm, wide throttle openings
and high oil temperatures. For appropriate maintenance, discusswith
your Lotus dealer. Note that use of the car off road
or in a competitive manner, including timed runs or laps, will
invalidate warranty and require appropriate levels of expert
car preparation and servicing.

(j) If any after-market sport parts are fitted to your car, such
parts are not covered by the Limited Warranty. Such parts
are covered by any warranty which accompanies the sale of
that particular part. Defects arising from track use will not be
covered by your Limited Warranty. Any original part affected
or damaged by the fitment of any off road or track part may
not be covered by your Limited Warranty.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
MY WARRANTY WAS VOIDED FOR AUTOCROSSING.

VOIDED
(though later I was told that it was not really voided, but it was red flagged and they probably would not cover any drivetrain related issues. This was on a stock car without mods)

We ended up paying out of pocket for broken tranny mounts because the car was used in competition. I think it was $2000 we paid.

After that, I quit taking my car to any dealer for repairs of any kind. This was also about the same months that Stan kept claiming I was getting paid off by Lotus. LOL.

Point of irony- Just previous to this, we had set up a Club111 Car Control Clinic at San Diego and the Lotus rep was there, dealer was there, Sector and BWR was there. We had 45 entrants. Good for Lotus! Good for community. And I even gave fun rides to the wife of the west coast LCU guy. But then I was told a month later that autocrossing voided my warranty. LOL. Kick in the teeth.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I was researching this, it seemed that HPDE days and the like were fine, but actual racing either against other cars or the clock could void warranty claims. Guess that would include Auto-X.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
When I was researching this, it seemed that HPDE days and the like were fine, but actual racing either against other cars or the clock could void warranty claims. Guess that would include Auto-X.
May depend. Like the BMW club runs their events split into two. No competition and then competing, for this reason. Still, timed is timed.

in a competitive manner, including timed runs or laps
Is what LCU quoted me out of my manual, when I bitched about this. My contention is I can hit a bump on the street hard enough to brake my mounts... But a controlled surface like an autocross probably did not brake the mounts. Oh well, F it. I am not still bitter. :)

Once I started modding my car (shortly afterwards) I knew I was now out of warranty by my own choice. But I even stopped asking them to fix the speedo, lights, etc.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I would say Lotus Reps are on this forum and have a pretty good idea who races or drives competitively. I would say its standard practice to void warranty if your racing.

Im not sure of any purpose built race cars with full warranty for 10k miles or 100 hours. Radicals dont come with a warranty for racing, why would a Lotus?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Agreed if you are racing. But wear and tear from less than 5 minutes of autocrossing, is nothing like the wear and tear from racing on a track. And consider I could do track days for hours a day.. every day... and since it is not competition, it does not void my warranty.

My feeling was that if I had suspension, shock issues... they were on me. I chose to autocross and it only seemed fair for me to be responsible about that. Just like covering your own tires and brakes.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Surpised they didnt do something for you. You held a little bit of power owning this forum.

Its a tricky situtation for sure.

Im dealing with a simular issue (in my mind at least) at work right now...do we allow a quality defect and pay for it in warranty, or fix the manufacturing process. We are actaually completing cost/benefit ratios on each. I mentioned the Ford Pinto for an extreme example and was told to pretty much keep quiet. This issue will never hurt anyone, but can leave a lasting impression on quality.

Some of those driving schools will not allow any form of timing b/c of insurance requirements.

Short term profits can make people short sighted.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Surpised they didnt do something for you. You held a little bit of power owning this forum.
As you can see, very little. If anything, it worked against me. People bitch about things on the forum. In my mind, the forum was incredibly valuable to Lotus in many ways. But to some at Lotus, it was a source of a pain in the ass. Hard to separate that from the messenger.

I even agreed with someone at LCU to not tell people about my warranty problem, so as to help protect the brand. But the statute of limitations has now run out. :)

Short term profits can make people short sighted.
True that. At ChaseCam we make it an policy to go way past what other companies will do in regards to service. In the end, we are not making money because of that, but we are building a brand and name. Which is fine.

I think LCU could have made some better decisions, but it is what it is. shrug

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Wondering if that was more of how things were handle early on. Know of a very recent issue (in line with autox/track use) that happen to another owner that Lotus is taking care of. Heck just picked my car up today from the dealer. Though my warranty was up at the start of the year, they covered some paint issues.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Wondering if that was more of how things were handle early on. Know of a very recent issue (in line with autox/track use) that happen to another owner that Lotus is taking care of. Heck just picked my car up today from the dealer. Though my warranty was up at the start of the year, they covered some paint issues.

I hope that it is different as I think it would be a mistake. But I also think it had something to do with it being my car. The same person that made that call, is still in the same position with LCU.

But I did get a free hat.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There is an 08 Exige S sitting at Lotus of Jacksonville getting a new rear clam because the cat overheated and melted the bottom of the car while the guy was at the track. Lotus are fully aware of where and how this happened and are shelling out about $10K to fix the car under warranty.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I had my wiring harness fail while I was at Thunderhill and ended up towing the car all the way to SF while still in my race suit. They not only fixed the issue under warranty but they also paid for the tow.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
See? I was special. :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
When the Evo was relatively new in USA, i know Mitsubishi Corporate sent people to some local SoCal tracks to record license plate #'s of Evo's on the tracks. Later, these people found out they were blacklisted for warranty work... I also heard this has been done with some Nissan's as well. So, at the track, might be good idea to put tape over your plate or just remove the plate...

·
Inactive
831 Posts
This is a common question for my business. An entire vehicle warranty cannot be voided. The only thing that can occur is that the manufacturer could choose to not warranty faults which could be caused by track use. eg you have tracked your car and your A/C stops working, then Lotus, by law, should warranty it. If you burn out your clutch drag racing, then they probably don't need to replace it. For futher reading research the Moss-Magnuson act. Or, since this is the internet, feel free to express and defend your own personal opinion.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yep. I am sure I could have taken in my Elise for a radio repair later under warranty. But not drivetrain. Or suspension.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts