The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My name is Torrey and I am in Suffolk, VA (near Va. Beach). Here's how my husband came to fall in love with the other woman....Elise.

Some may recognize my husband as he has been in the news from time to time. You see, he's a wounded soldier and is very active in getting better care for soldiers and servicemembers. Just Google "SSG John Daniel Shannon" and you will find his story. He's been on the front page of the Washington Post a couple of times and testified before Congress over the Walter Reed scandal. His most recent appearance was a commercial for IAVA.org.

Well, going back to when he was injured in November 2004, he was pretty bad off at first. I came to DC with our kids to help him in his recovery. We settled down there and took it one day at a time.

While in recovery, he would go online and fawn over the Lotus Elise. So, I put a plan into action! It took about six months for them to clear him for driving. He was SO ready to give it a test drive! By then I was far ahead of him in the game. ;)

I called our local Lotus dealership and got a test ride for him. However, I noted that as a resident of Oregon, we paid no sales tax on vehicle purchases. I did some calculations and figured he would be better off saving the sales tax and using it for more "fun" if he bought one in Portland. I was bound and determined to give him a "welcome home" gift like no one could imagine!

Once I saw the look on his face after that test drive, it was a done deal. I knew he needed another woman in his life...with curves that he can caress...and her name was Elise. LOL

So at the end of 2005 I called Oregon and told them to expect a guy wearing an eye patch the next day and to give him whatever he wanted. I booked a one-way plane ticket to Portland, secured a shuttle to the hotel, and gave him the local dealership's address. I told him to take the checkbook and get his car...and enjoy the cross-country trip on the way. He was told he was NOT coming home without his car.

About a week later, he rolled up in front of our house with a 2006 Lotus Elise...white with a sunburst overlay. She's SO pretty!

If my husband is going to have a mid-life crisis at any time, I have the other woman already covered. Ha! I already picked her out for him!

Right now he is doing some work on her. That's for another post. I just thought I would introduce ourselves and give you the story on how a soldier got his dream car.

It's nice to meet you all!

·
Registered
355 Posts
My wife was never jealous even though I had 2 girlfriends--Elise [for special occasions] and Mercedes [for my daily "service"]) :shrug:

·
Registered
815 Posts
you and your husband are amazing!! thank you for everything. :clap:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
My wife calls the Exige her "sister-wife"...rotfl

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Were you folks at the Liliponds car show when they featured Lotus? It was about 2 years ago. If so we met we had the red M100 and were talking with Lary about buying his 7.

Anyway we are in Newport News. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were you folks at the Liliponds car show when they featured Lotus? It was about 2 years ago. If so we met we had the red M100 and were talking with Lary about buying his 7.

Anyway we are in Newport News. Welcome to the forum.
Yes! We certainly were! Our plaque is still on our mantle from placing at that show. That's so cool that we already met! :)

We moved from the DC area to Suffolk right afterward. You are not far from us...we are right on the James River just off 664. I could probably see your house from mine. :clap: DH had a bit of a mishap with the Elise and just ordered a new rear clamshell. We hope to have it back on the road soon!

I love that it's a small world. :)

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Welcome!!!

and you know "this thread is worthless without pics" :D

you and your husband enjoy driving the car, and thanks to your husband for serving our country.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you and your husband are amazing!! thank you for everything. :clap:
Aww, thanks. We are just normal folks...welll....<cough> That's nice of you to say!

I was checking out your car in the DC Auto Show thread. Schweeet!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome!!!

and you know "this thread is worthless without pics" :D

you and your husband enjoy driving the car, and thanks to your husband for serving our country.
I can dig a few up...and will work on getting more. :)

DH is learning how to retire and it's not as easy as most would think! The Lotus has been a nice distraction for him.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
At this house

My wife calls the Exige her "sister-wife"...rotfl
You have Ranger-16 the wife of course and Ranger-6 the Elise.........the wife has not quite figured out the call signs ........:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have Ranger-16 the wife of course and Ranger-6 the Elise.........the wife has not quite figured out the call signs ........:D

Oh my goodness...DH and I just had a great laugh over this. That's hysterical!

Just don't get those call signs mixed up. -eek-

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes! We certainly were! Our plaque is still on our mantle from placing at that show. That's so cool that we already met! :)

We moved from the DC area to Suffolk right afterward. You are not far from us...we are right on the James River just off 664. I could probably see your house from mine. :clap: DH had a bit of a mishap with the Elise and just ordered a new rear clamshell. We hope to have it back on the road soon!

I love that it's a small world. :)
You have a private message.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That is very cool of you and very loving as a wife. A good couple will do these things for each other, specially when they deserve it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is very cool of you and very loving as a wife. A good couple will do these things for each other, specially when they deserve it.
I worship him most days. :)

Really, it's all just a guise so I can have a chance to drive a Lotus. :shift:

But, don't be fooled by all this lovey dovey stuff...we have been married to each other twice. We call our divorce "The most expensive fight we ever had". ROFL!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome Torrey, I generally ignore newbie threads but this one is definitely worth a mention.

You're a great wife and know how best to look after your man. Politics aside, you have a great husband who has dedicated his career to support the country.

This has to be the best gift with priceless understanding and loving thought. :up:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts