The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a LETSLA in my car yesterday. I didn't find a video detailing the job online so I recorded some instructions.

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S
156 Posts
Great video and commentary. Did your shifts feel noticeably different once you took it out for a drive?

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Great video and commentary. Did your shifts feel noticeably different once you took it out for a drive?
I did get a chance to drive the car really briefly. I'm planning to get my cameras in my car and record a drive when the weather clears up.

The shifts feel great, very mechanical and direct. The sift throw is nice and feels natural. The shortened crossgate throw eliminated the interference with the console in reverse. I think my mechanism must have been in pretty good shape to start with though, so it's not a night and day difference, pretty subtle. I've seen videos of other people's cars where everything is completely sloppy and would really detract from the enjoyment of the car. This would help those cars immensely. But then again, so would a fresh stock system. This vid from Mr. Steele showing the shift action around 1:09 would have had me pulling out my hair, for example.

Frustratingly, the buzzing in the shift mechanism that I was getting at 4500-5000 RPM is now there from 2500 RPM up. It really detracts from the experience to have what sounds like a loose screw buzzing away all the time. This is a new problem that showed up when I did the SSC cables and ShiftR111, it seems like the LETSLA has made it worse.

Overall, I'd say LETSLA is a really nice piece of hardware, made from high quality parts and materials that are going to last a LONG time. But as I concluded with the ShiftR111 and SSC cables, if your shifter is in good shape, you're not going to notice much difference. For me, I was just really curious to see how much better my stock system could be, and I like to work on the car. I have no doubt though that the LETSLA and other parts are much more robust and will last much longer than the stock parts so it's a useful upgrade for piece of mind for someone looking for that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My reaction to the ShirtR111 and new cables was the same as yours: not a lot better than stock.

I read here recently that putting a bungie cord on the transmission linkages can eliminate a rattle like the one you mention. Maybe the author can chime in.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I’d check the routing of your cables. Did you use the hanger to hold the shift cables above the engine pan? Maybe one of the cables is vibrating against the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d check the routing of your cables. Did you use the hanger to hold the shift cables above the engine pan? Maybe one of the cables is vibrating against the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. That was actually the first thing I did. I added padding at the zip tie down point at the back of the transmission.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Ive owned a lot of 2zz powered Lotus', mainly with low KMs use . The gear change shift quality was different almost on everyone. I never adjusted or uprated any of them, its just how they were when I got them. On average, I'd give them a 6 out of 10 score.

By far my 2-Eleven had the best gear change action (2007, so prior to the later 'blue ball' mech) - just snick-snick every gear, no matter what speed you changed. It was VERY low KMs, as is the nature of 2-Elevens.

So I agree with your point above. If you have a low use 2ZZ powered Lotus, in good condition & well adjusted, theres no reason why the gear change can't be an 8 out of 10

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured out how to fix the extra noise from the shifter and the good news is, we all can do it (except for a few of you Exige guys)! Drive without the top on, just as the big guy [Colin Chapman, who do you think I meant?] intended. Not a hint of an offensive noise, just mechanical, crisp, enjoyable gear shifts at redline. Ah I love this car!

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I may have successfully stopped the shifter rattle that I mentioned and you can hear in my videos. I thought I would look at vibration of the cable in it's sheath. I decided to lightly wrap the two cable inner sheaths together as they exit the outer sheath at the transmission bracket, see the picture below with the black tie wrap around the cables. I figured if there's something slightly loose, all it should take is slight pressure on the cable sheaths to change the frequency of the vibration for it to go away. It appears that it has worked (knock on wood).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts