The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I gotta be stupid as hell, but for the life of me I just can't figure out how to get this head unit out. I just want to get to the back of it to put in a AUX cable for my iPod. Can anyone give step by step instructions on how to pull it out? I know i'll have to use either a coat hangar, or a head unit removal kit, but I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing with the tools.

It's the Blaupunkt MP54 in the Touring Lotus Elise

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Depending on your luck it can be very obnoxious to get those tools to pull the head unit. Definitely get a head unit removal kit (two 1mm thick aluminum pieces which fit into the slots Sir Lotus mentioned above - you may have to remove the plastic bezel around the head unit faceplate to get to them. *That* piece was a real bitch for me to pull off - always felt like I was going to snap the thing.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It can be frustrating but it can be done with the coat hanger. You just gotta find that sweet spot on both sides of the tabs :up:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Two butter knives worked best for me ... just find the whole and jab them in and it will release the tabs.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still need help.

This is what mine looks like with the front display removed. I don't see where there are two holes on each side. Do I need to take these little screws out? Sorry for the big picture, didn't want to resize it.

image-4.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
Holes are here... right???

I didn't have to remove my trim ring... and certainly NO screws to pull the unit. The right tool makes it a easy peazy!

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you can't get it take it to your local shop. It would only be a few bucks to have them connect your AUX.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm doing this iPod cable install as well and I'm having a heck of a time removing the tear drop panel. I can get the bottom latch out but the back top one won't budge. Any tricks on getting this thing out?

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I'm doing this iPod cable install as well and I'm having a heck of a time removing the tear drop panel. I can get the bottom latch out but the back top one won't budge. Any tricks on getting this thing out?
Not really - those are a bitch to remove. You have to bend/flex the hell out of them. Just go easy on the tabs. If you're careful it all works out.

Now, if you are talking about either of the ones on the outer sides they are currently $2.60 each from Lotus. If you mean either of the ones below the steering wheel, they are currently $140 each :eek:. Proceed with caution if you are planning on putting it in the little spot between the HVAC and steering wheel, which is where I prefer to put mine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah that's where I'm routing it. I spent a good hour twisting and turning and trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. At this point I'm debating on just replacing the entire head unit altogether. It also doesn't help that I don't have the factory tools to remove the head unit, and my hangers aren't seeming to latch onto it, but now that I saw the pictures I'll give it another shot. It's sad that this easy small mod is giving me such a hard time.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Yeah that's where I'm routing it. I spent a good hour twisting and turning and trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. At this point I'm debating on just replacing the entire head unit altogether. It also doesn't help that I don't have the factory tools to remove the head unit, and my hangers aren't seeming to latch onto it, but now that I saw the pictures I'll give it another shot. It's sad that this easy small mod is giving me such a hard time.
Do you have the Blaupunkt or Alpine radio in there now? They both have different release mechanisms, and the OP and most posts in this thread are referring to the Blau.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I removed mine with a coat hanger that I cut and bent to look like the VW removal tool. Hardest part was getting both the left and right side to release while pulling on the unit. Took a few tries, but wasn't too bad. As far as routing the aux cable, I took off the AC bezel and a metal plate that goes under the head unit and stuck it through the grommet that heads down to the AC controls and out behind the AC bezel. It was easier and more sensible routing than out through the cubby holes that I see in a lot of the threads. I was thinking of adding a 1/8" panel mount socket to the side of the AC bezel to make it really clean looking, but I got lazy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the Blau myself. I basically just made a few clips with the coat hanger like I saw in a different thread. I'll spend some time on it tonight and hopefully I'll be able to hit those latches.

Bryan you have any pics of your set up? I'm really unsure how I'm going to get that teardrop panel out without breaking it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by the teardrop panel. Do you mean the AC controls? If so, I really don't remember that being much of an issue. 2 screws from underneath and then it pops out. It has been a while, but I don't remember that being the difficult part.

I routed the wire through the little gap/seam in the extruded aluminum shelf where it meets the AC bezel. Can't get a picture now, but it looks pretty good.

No need to remove the dash, it was all pretty accessible once you get the head unit out and the AC controls...

I do remember that it was kind of a pain to shove the aux cable through the grommet to the AC controls because the jack end was a little big...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts