The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone knows best place (price)to install???

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they want $1150-poke-

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Had mine installed by ForcedFed can't remember how much I paid(wasn't cheap though) but it is a huge improvement. I like how the car feels(especially off-corner accel) much better than before..

·
Registered
337 Posts
You should expect only a limited number of places to want to tackle the job - and you should check carefully that they have the right tools/expertise to avoid breaking gears. $1,150 is not expensive - the entire transmission needs to be removed from the car and then the transmission needs to be almost completely disassembled and built back up. To put the cost in perspective, there should be ~ $1,000 in labor hours alone! Anyone who quotes you a cheap price, start running. Do you want anyone other than the most experienced technician reassembling your gearbox and transmission :crazyeyes

While you are doing it, depending on mileage, you should consider renewing seals, synchro rings etc. And check what parts are included in the price quoted. Consider dropping in a new or upgraded clutch while you're at it as this represents a massive labor $$$ saving vs. going back and doing it at a later date.

Not cheap: but I second Perryeyges - it was a huge improvement on track :up:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
337 Posts
No idea on KC Martin .... except, ask to speak to the tech who would do the work and ask him if there is anything difficult about the 2ZZ transmission.

If the tech answers anything other than some variation of "well, some of the gears are difficult to pull off the shaft without breaking them, so we use the Toyota tool or this Tool we had made up" then thank them for their time and find someone who knows what they are doing. Best case they get into it, break gears or find it is more difficult than they thought and end up charging you for their learning curve ............ Really, it isn't rocket science, but you should find someone who has done one before. Maybe Toyota race shop?

·
Registered
888 Posts
700$ is just too cheap, maybe he did not realize that they need to split the car to remove the transmission. And if they never split the Elise, and they don't have the manual to know where are the bolt to remove, they will spin around...

The interior of the car needs to be partially dismounted, the rear clam remove, removing the rear frame, removing the transmission, and do the job. just for the transmission he will need minimum 3-4 hours, and will require few pullers.

Best luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well...park place is doing the job...i can't wait :D

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
700$ is just too cheap, maybe he did not realize that they need to split the car to remove the transmission. And if they never split the Elise, and they don't have the manual to know where are the bolt to remove, they will spin around...

The interior of the car needs to be partially dismounted, the rear clam remove, removing the rear frame, removing the transmission, and do the job. just for the transmission he will need minimum 3-4 hours, and will require few pullers.

Best luck
My transmission was removed without removing the rear clam when the dealer replaced my clutch.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Interesting, every thing fit so close with the frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts