The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be awesome, wonder If i can fly all the way from berkeley Marina to the city :D .
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6RuE5t1-H9k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6RuE5t1-H9k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
wow!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Might as well just get a paraglider......a lot safer !!! :eek:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might as well just get a paraglider......a lot safer !!! :eek:
I get all the harnesses with it, I could use it for paragliding (eventually I WILL be up in the air, it a 16m wingspan so its smaller than the 21m? but plenty for me, 140lbs)
:coolnana:

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Makes tracking a car look like sitting at home watching TV.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I saw that a year or two ago on one of those survival / i survived tv shows. Think this happened in Hawaii. He's pretty freaking lucky.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw that a year or two ago on one of those survival / i survived tv shows. Think this happened in Hawaii. He's pretty freaking lucky.
Yeah, considering how those things will thrash you, unforgiving. Cant wait for the kite and go flying.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I ever decide to off myself I'll do a lot of stuff like this first; nothing to lose.
I'll be at the berkeley Marina so if you do decide to off yourself, I'm totally not selfish with stuff :D .
Drive and fly?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would not recommend a 16m2 for a first kite. What happened in to this guy is silly inexperience. Learn to fly on a smaller kite(sound familiar to you guys recommending small cars/bikes?). If this guy was any good at all, he would have had the presence of mind, and skill to use the brakes and bleed off the lift of the kite and ease back down, or even let go of his bar which automatically activates full brakes, and deflates the kite. I pray you take the time and actually learn what is going on(and if you have experience, disregard this entirely).

I have a small 2 square meter kite, and I weigh 130lbs, and I get lifted with decent hang time(10ft+) on a day that has just enough wind to get the flag waving straight. If I don't wear golf cleats, I will get dragged straight across a grass field no problem. Be careful.
Yeah, I think he waited to come back but never really happened.
I've got 3m too and while that is awesome (drags me, at best, at 140lbs), the big one will be just something else.
What kite do you have, 2m and 10ft lifts at low winds is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I like to play with my IMP quatro the most. Its 2m2, and in all fairness, I have to load up against it, and then hop to get a hang time air, but once I give it the initial boost off my weight, it keeps me up. If I time it just right, I can fly it in an arc and stay in the power, and I have jumped from 1st to 2nd base on a baseball field. I didn't notice until I stopped flying. Bunches of foot steps on the edge of first base, then two in line, and a huge gap and one crater by 2nd base.

I've been considering getting a Manta II 8 or 10 meter for a while, but I'm still having a blast with my little guy, and it provides more power than I need, but being harnessed in could make for a ton more fun.

Enjoy it in good health, and keep in mind how much more lift this thing is going to be generating when you let it loose...

Enjoy(paragliding):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFI9qyiRHvY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFI9qyiRHvY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like to play with my IMP quatro the most. Its 2m2, and in all fairness, I have to load up against it, and then hop to get a hang time air, but once I give it the initial boost off my weight, it keeps me up. If I time it just right, I can fly it in an arc and stay in the power, and I have jumped from 1st to 2nd base on a baseball field. I didn't notice until I stopped flying. Bunches of foot steps on the edge of first base, then two in line, and a huge gap and one crater by 2nd base.

I've been considering getting a Manta II 8 or 10 meter for a while, but I'm still having a blast with my little guy, and it provides more power than I need, but being harnessed in could make for a ton more fun.

Enjoy it in good health, and keep in mind how much more lift this thing is going to be generating when you let it loose...

Enjoy(paragliding):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFI9qyiRHvY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFI9qyiRHvY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Awesome, if I run with the 3m it will lift me off when I pick it up from 45 degrees after gaining some momemtum.
The big one will be so much fun and scary. It'll be way more scary when I take it the first time (fingers crossed)
The new one is naish, flyes in less air, should work out :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just out of curiosity, Anybody into kites from the bay area?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah go to 3rd Ave in San Mateo for lessons. Best wind/direction for learning and they will follow you on a jet ski to rescue you. My girlfriend learned there, and man I wish lessons had been available when I learned. Then when you can stay up wind head out to Waddell on the Coast for wave riding;) Don't even think about launching from Berkeley marina until you know what your doing or you'll end up lassoing a car on the bayshore freeway!

I've been yanked 60'-70' in the air during a storm when it suddenly started gusting 50 knots. That was in the Bay! Never thought I would be so scared kiting in the Bay! I won't launch in a storm again though either.

It was nothing compared to the guy at Kite Beach in Maui though.

Don't worry kite technology has improved a lot. The new kites de-power and things like that don't really happen anymore, well, if you have the basics down.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts