The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading the latest car magazine (don't remember which), and there was a cover story about one of the Aerosmith's guys' Hennessey Venom GT Roadster.

Anyways, it was a great review and it listed the pros and cons of the Venom. Under cons, it said "being asked, 'is that a Lotus?'"

I know if it was a Porsche, Lambo, Mercedes, or Ferrari review, they would never have something similar.

It feels that con, can be easily be used for a Hyundai, Kia, etc.

So why the hate now? I remember reading old magazine articles, where they did tests comparing an Esprit to a Ferrari 348 and Porsches, which was quite common back in the 90's.

·
Registered
705 Posts
they are making fun of the fact that the Venom is based off the Lotus and still looks similar to most. If I spent that much on a supercar I wouldn't want it confused with a car worth 20x less that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Um, the "con" is that your 1 mil car can easily be confused for a $50k car. how is this not completely obvious.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not too sure it's 'hate'. I mean, if I paid a million for a car I'd be pretty ticked if it was compared to anything....let alone a Lotus/Ferrari/Porsche/etc. I think the Lotus dig just comes from the chassis similarities.

Lotus is regularly compared to Porsche. Think of all the Evora/Cayman tests. I think the reason you don't see Evora S/California comparisons is due to the fixed roof on the Evora. Or, for on the other hand, Evora GTE/458 comparisons due to lack of Evora production. The performance is close enough it's just that buyers won't cross-shop the cars.

·
Registered
708 Posts
When the bull run guy drove the venom, he said something like, a pro is that it's basically a Lotus.....the con is that it's basically a Lotus.

If you just spent $1M, would you be happy if people thought you had an Elise?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
So I was reading the latest car magazine (don't remember which), and there was a cover story about one of the Aerosmith's guys' Hennessey Venom GT Roadster.

Anyways, it was a great review and it listed the pros and cons of the Venom. Under cons, it said "being asked, 'is that a Lotus?'"

I know if it was a Porsche, Lambo, Mercedes, or Ferrari review, they would never have something similar.

It feels that con, can be easily be used for a Hyundai, Kia, etc.

So why the hate now? I remember reading old magazine articles, where they did tests comparing an Esprit to a Ferrari 348 and Porsches, which was quite common back in the 90's.
Umm because the Venom is a $1M car built on top of a $40K Lotus.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why be so quick to jump to the conclusion that they are bashing Lotus.. as the other guys are saying, no one wants their 1 Million dollar car confused with a $50,000 car.. You say "Lotus" to an average person and they say, "OH THOSE ARE EXPENSIVE, THEY ARE LIKE 200K". So no, there is no bad stigma or hate. Most people wrongly assume that a "LOTUS" must cost 200k+, while most people who know what they are respect them for the beautiful track cars that they are. The select few will hate on them for their own reasons. Period.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Kimi don't do bad stigma!! He knows what he's doing

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Come on Chris, cut the guy some slack. After all, he's a seasoned LT contributing member. Can't you tell from his post count. "best in the world" at trolling perhaps????

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, regarding the "I LIKE Lotus but whey does it have a bad stigma now", I feel one has to LOVE Lotus or you'd go crazy! lol

Personally, I can't get Lotus outta my head! My last car was a BMW M5 with my present car also being a BMW F10 but having owned a Lotus 8-9 years ago, it's what gets my blood going.

I don't care if Kimi won or not or if Lotus F1 leaves the game. Lotus cars offer me something that I don't get from others -- it makes me feel I'm king in my own world when I'm out in the mountains slicing curves.

I don't care if Ferrari 458 or Lambo Murc's are more refined, I don't want their maintenance/repair costs! I can afford it but I don't want to! I want to drive the hell out of my cars without babying them afraid that I'd get stuck with a 25K clutch/transmission bill! lol

Now that I'm working on getting an Evora, I can't wait! :D

And the basic Evora costs USD 150,000 here. And we're talking N/A, not the S.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
OP posts some weird threads...between this and the how much do I need to afford a Lotus thread.
Yeah. I think it isn't only Lotus that has a bad stigma now. :p

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i'm sure the same thing would have been said of the 1000+hp $200K+ cts V hennessey built

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
they are making fun of the fact that the Venom is based off the Lotus and still looks similar to most. If I spent that much on a supercar I wouldn't want it confused with a car worth 20x less that's for sure.
hahaha I've actually had the opposite happen. I've had people come up to me and ask me if it's a hennessey venom and ask to get a picture beside it. rotfl

all I know, is that's one hell of an investment with that kind of "return". :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts