The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: :( :sad: :facepalm

....Imagine this....I'm parked at a red light in the turning lane to turn left. There's a Toyota SUV infront of me, about 7-10 feet.

I'm not on my phone, radio isn't blasting, I'm enjoying driving my car around legally! I had gotten it registered on Monday!!! Woo Hoo!

I am paying attention and see what seems like the SUV backing up...this can't be! I start honking my horn and am attempting to shift into reverse...but it's too late! The SUV backs up into my precious Lotus and her rear end is atop the front of my car.

She gets out and says I didn't see you or hear a horn bla bla bla. so I filed claims and am going to have it inspected today. I don't know how bad it is but her tow hitch really gouged out some paint. and there are what seem to be pressure ''fractures' in a couple of places. These could be worse than they look because the paint is THICK so if it broke through that much I'm sure there is deeper damage. The front carbon fiber splitter also has some spiderweb looking cracking on it as well.

Any advice for the inspection. I've never dealt with this before, will i be able to be there when they look at it? I'm sure the auto body shop here won't understand the fiberglass clamshells and the pricing and all. I don't want them to fuk me over. You can't really see the pressure cracks but they're there.

Regardless, this is going back to Specialty Car Craft because I don't want some shop here thinking they can match the paint and patch the fiberglass. I'm ready for a fight :thwack:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
And this is why people should not pull part-way out (the truck) into the intersection and hope for a gap to shoot through. When they don't get it, they must either run the red light, or back up in a real hurry.
Sorry for your loss; due to the stress cracks it will likely be a clam replacement.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah man, 1 day after registering it too! I got a call from her insurance company saying that they need to accept lability first...which they fukin better!

I'm not paying for this. I know the company is going to just say that the scratches need to be "filled" and then just repaint it. They don't understand that if there are cracks under the clam, it's getting replaced no matter what. And also that it isn't just some random paint code. It took specialty a long time to do this right. It's a tough paint to do. It isn't just random matte black. I'm still upset, sorry haha

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,525 Posts
At least you sorted through the OBD item to register it first… Hope it ends well and quickly.

And this is why people should not pull part-way out (the truck) into the intersection and hope for a gap to shoot through. When they don't get it, they must either run the red light, or back up in a real hurry.
Sorry for your loss; due to the stress cracks it will likely be a clam replacement.
If you’re already in the intersection and the light turns red, it isn’t running a red light. I actually get slightly mad when people refuse to pull into the intersection to make a left turn on green and just wait until it cycles through completely again for a green arrow. I have never seen anyone actually backup unless they just failed to stop in time and are blocking the crosswalk.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The key word here:
"She gets out and says I didn't see you or hear a horn bla bla bla."

She stupidly probably just used her rear view mirror... if that... seriously, who the **** doesn't use their side view mirrors? I don't even know what I'd do if someone with THAT much ****ing stupidity did that to my Exige. I'm sorry man, I can't even begin to sympathize enough :(

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't even talk. My throat had a ball in it, my stomach felt like garbage, I could'nt breathe haha I swear, it sounds stupid it really does.

I was so mad, SO MAD. She looked scared. I was just shaking my head, stomped my foot a couple of times. Smacked the roof of the car and just stared down at the ground.

so much so that I kind messed up the whole insurance thing. I did call the cops but they said since no one was hurt that an exchange of information would suffice. Well I got the insurance card, from HER but it was a man's name on the card. Like an idiot I didn't get her ID or Name....I can't tell you how in shock I was. But the insurance companies are talking so things are moving forward.

I just hope it all works out.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not cool, at least that elephant didnt sit on you. You'd have nothing left.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not cool, at least that elephant didnt sit on you. You have nothing left.
I'm still in a fog right now, what are you saying haha :confused: nothing left? and actually the SUV was up on it quite a bit, my front end sagged down a bit...and now the overall feeling of "control" is a bit off. I'm thinking alignment?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Lotus factory recommends replacement and not repairing a damaged clam. Fight for a new clam. I did!
who do I fight with? the inspectors? the insurance company? when I go to the shop today I don't know what to really do? they're gonna take pictures "inspect".

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
what are you saying haha nothing left?
little car big truck, I dont want to hurt the images in your head any more then they are, but yeah. I'm registering my new Elise tomorrow Going to knock on wood till my knuckles hurt.

oh I see, type-o on my part. Fixed.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I got in to a near miss in my mr2 once, the lady said I hit her but I didnt. When the inspectors came they found Miskito blood on my car and called it red paint, snapped it too. I got hit with the $75 bill for that. I hate those people.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do you guys think this warrants a replacement? or not? i want a replacement because it was in PERFECT condition prior to this. i don't like the idea of a bandage. I'm sure specialty will know more, but they're 2 states over. it's craziness.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Like sturgeongeneral said, get a clam replacement. Fight for it, get that alignment check and have a good inception of all under the wheel well. This will come out a 50/50 case no fault since the copy didnt write out a ticket. Your going to pay for her mistake just make sure your car does not suffer for it.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
This is NOT to get on your case in particular, but it seems ALL the problems associated with people backing INTO Lotus cars are NEW owners. Folks....you HAVE to stay well behind the vehicle in front of you, and preferably off to the left side a bit, so they can see you ( Yeah, IF they look ) in their side mirror. AND get a Stebel horn mod. If you pull right up to ( or even 5-10 feet in back of ) a truck or SUV....they're NOT going to see you.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know that I may have needed to be further back, but it was much further back than I am in any other vehicle. I could see if I was on her aass but It seemed "acceptable". I have a motorcycle too so I'm used to driving defensively. I drive the elise like I drive the R1

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like sturgeongeneral said, get a clam replacement. Fight for it, get that alignment check and have a good inception of all under the wheel well. This will come out a 50/50 case no fault since the copy didnt write out a ticket. Your going to pay for her mistake just make sure your car does not suffer for it.
I've literally never been in an accident before so I don't know how to fight for it. What proof do I have that a replacement is better than a repair? are they going to ask me my purchase price and assess from there? Will a decision be made today? or will it have to go to an analyst?

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
This is NOT to get on your case in particular, but it seems ALL the problems associated with people backing INTO Lotus cars are NEW owners. Folks....you HAVE to stay well behind the vehicle in front of you, and preferably off to the left side a bit, so they can see you ( Yeah, IF they look ) in their side mirror. AND get a Stebel horn mod. If you pull right up to ( or even 5-10 feet in back of ) a truck or SUV....they're NOT going to see you.
+1 You MUST drive these cars assuming either EVERYBODY sees you (gawking) or that NOBODY sees you (small and low). I drive assuming the latter always.0

When I'm behind a car at the light, I look at BOTH their mirrors...inside rearview (if visible) and side. If I can see the driver's face in either, preferrably both, that's where I need to be.

Reactions: ucalegone

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts

Absolutely.

Some SUVs have blind spots 40' back.

Inverse relationship: the smaller the car, the louder the horn.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts