The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being in the land of lotus for 3 months, I had to get in touch with other enthusiasts. So I've been hanging out with the seloc group.

First, I must say how impressed I am with this club. It's only been around for a year, yet their membership is huge, they have very well organized events, and an assortment of helpful, knowledgeable, and fun people. Not only do they focus on more social settings (e.g. pub get togethers to just chat about cars), but they have legitimate, organized, and inexpensive drive events that really teach their members how to drive their cars in an appropriate and safe fashion. It is an open club (anyone, with or without a lotus can join). They offer huge discounts for parts, service, and events. They have organized trips to car events like Le Mans. They even have charity events that have been able to raise huge sums of money.

Most importantly, almost everyone that I have met there has gone out of their way to insure that I not only have a good time, but that I really get a feel for what elise ownership is about. It's about driving the car!!! And its about talking about driving the car (or crying about it when its broken).

I really hope that we can develop such a club here in the states. It is a lot more difficult, as distance is vast. But I think its important...especially with the introduction of the elise...where 3000 cars a year will be driven around by people like us.

I know there is an official lotus club in the states, but because the elise is a completely different kind of car, and will therefore attract a different kind of buyer, a club more specific to our demands would be ideal. I know this is a bit early to discuss, but I could only hope that eventually we will have a group of enthusiasts, like seloc, in which we can share tips, techniques, and lots of fun times.

Look forward to meeting a few elise-heads at the Auto Show, and in the future...

Lillie

P.S. Even though SELOC is across the pond, I would still highly recommend joining up with these guys! The club has a lot of info to share that will indeed be useful to us when the time comes.

www.seloc.org

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I am probably visiting the UK the week of Dec 15 - had hoped to tour the Lotus factory but apparently there are no tours that week - short of going to a Lotus dealer to sit in an elise, any suggestions for how to get my elise "fix" while I am there? did you come across any companies renting elises?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ivan,

someone posted here a while back about where to rent one, but it was ridiculously expensive (e.g. 500 pounds/day, probably has to do with the insurance).

How long will you be in England? If you log onto SELOC, you might find a meeting with a few elise owners. Also, if you really want to see what driving an elise is all about, the club will be at Brands Hatch GP circuit on the 20th of December. I'm sure you can get a ride out on the track if you're nice and don't weigh to much (j/k).

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I got my SELOC keychain in the mail yesterday :)

I'll be in the UK in December and have rented an Elise for a couple of days. I'll be doing the Winter Warmer drive with the SELOC gang.

There are maybe a dozen places that rent Elises in London alone.

Try a google search for "London Elise Hire"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mark said:
Ivan,
where in the UK are you going ?
I'm sure we could arrange a lotus "fix" for you.

And Robert
remember - we drive on the correct side of the road over here ;) :p ;)
"Correct" = "right" :confused:
"incorrect" = "left" :confused:

cheers,
Fabian

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome rawr to the board!

I hope your car gets better soon too! If you were in Cali, I'd get my ghetto friends to come with you on your next dealer trip!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
elise rental

thanks for the replies/advice .. I will probably be in the London area from the 13th- 17th....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Re: elise rental

ivan1 said:
thanks for the replies/advice .. I will probably be in the London area from the 13th- 17th....

You'll be in time for the Sinclaires Christmas Party and the City Drinks then.

Depending on when you arrive on the 13th and when you leave on the 17th...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Since we were gracious enough to export Modern Wedgie to the UK, I believe that it's only fair for the SELOC gang to send us Christine and/or Foxy for a visit over here (to Southern California, of course)!!

In any case, I do enjoy the SELOC discussions, despite their tendency to bash Americans at the drop of a hat (all in good fun, well sort of anyway). I've learned a few things about cars and enjoy their links to wild non-car stuff.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
SELOC does indeed rock.

I am pleased to see the cross posting between EliseTalk and SELOC.

MW, I do plan and expect that EliseTalk will develop more into what SELOC is. But it will be easier once we actually have cars. :)

I joined SELOC, they have some cool swag. I talked to the shopguy there about setting up a US distribution here if it makes more sense, since I have some e-commerce sites and a shipping department. I am already distributing that Rendezvous DVD out of the UK. I would welcome a closer alliance with SELOC.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Randy-

Any chance of getting a bunch of SELOC calendars shipped over for distribution at the LA Auto Show??

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:

I really hope that we can develop such a club here in the states. It is a lot more difficult, as distance is vast. But I think its important...especially with the introduction of the elise...where 3000 cars a year will be driven around by people like us.

I know this is a bit early to discuss, but I could only hope that eventually we will have a group of enthusiasts, like seloc, in which we can share tips, techniques, and lots of fun times.
I have hopes along this line as well, and I do agree with you that distance would our greatest adversary (specially to those of us living in the middle of the country.) I live in Topeka, Kansas. A city which a few of you might visit at least once (or annualy) since the SCCA nationals are held here. As long as I'm here you'll have a place to crash, a ute for towing and a local yokel for odds and ends stuff.

cheers,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts